Expired

Anglian Water Credit Report Entry

Found 11th Sep 2014
If someone can offer any advice or experience of the below it would gratefully received. Am I getting wound up about nothing? Is it going to get to the point that the milkman will put an account on my credit file?

Today I received a warning email from Experian saying that someone had added a credit account to my
credit report. As I hadn't applied for or bought anything for credit I checked and it was Anglian Water who has added a credit account to my file.

As I have never owed them any money, I pay by direct debit and they are always owing me money, I called them to ask why this entry was added. Their reply was to say that it was new company policy. I pointed out that it was added as a credit account and that I have never had such with them, have never given permission for them to give my details to any other company (Experian) and that I have four other companies that supply me with utilities and none of them had added a credit account.

They point blank stated that it was company policy and they would not change it, in reply I requested they cease my direct debit and send me a paper bill when payment is due. They replied that this would not make any difference. They finished the call by implying they were doing me a favor as I was such a good payer it would help my credit score.

I will give the Information Commissionaires helpline a call tomorrow and see what the situation is.
Community Updates
Ask
26 Comments
if you are always in credit and never make late or miss payments then it will improve your credit report.
theshepherd83

if you are always in credit and never make late or miss payments then it … if you are always in credit and never make late or miss payments then it will improve your credit report.

I understand that but my argument is I have never had nor want a credit account with Anglian, so the data they are passing onto Experian is false.
Edited by: "Argoj" 11th Sep 2014
if you are on a meter they you pay in arrears so in effect have credit with anglian water, that's all i can think why
deanos

if you are on a meter they you pay in arrears so in effect have credit … if you are on a meter they you pay in arrears so in effect have credit with anglian water, that's all i can think why

That too was my first thought, but then when you consider this, the same could be said for the milkman, the newspaper deliveries in fact for any service or product that you receive before making payment. That doesn't mean that you have an automatic credit account set up for each and every service/product. The only advantage that I can see from Anglian's view that is if you miss a payment then you are in default of a credit agreement which is implicitly different to that of a non paying customer.

Additionally if you were in such a situation that you fail to make a payment (being a mistake by yourself, the bank or any other reason) then this is then shown on your credit report for each and every month that you miss.
Edited by: "Argoj" 11th Sep 2014
Wow, totally blown away by that. I understand your concerns. Cheeky
Argoj

Am I getting wound up about nothing?

This.

Edited by: "ipswich78" 11th Sep 2014
No you are not getting wound up. I just found that I have 6 late payment charges added to my Experian account by Anglian Water when I pay by dd each month , though it hasn't always met the total I have never been asked to stump up the full amount in one go so as not to receive a bad credit rating! Never told about this from Anglian Water or received red bills or anything . Am in shock and have written to them today to ask why they have not communicated this clearly to me. All I receive are their blue bills and no extra demands. Very sneaky .
My mother has the same issue.. I called and question them. Anglian Water will put "late payments" on your credit file every time a DD leaves the bank account if the DD amount isn't enough to cover the amount of water you are using. I was shocked when the guy I spoke to said it was company policy. This is the only thing stopping my mother getting a mortgage. Can someone suggest what she can do?
vdoolallyv

My mother has the same issue.. I called and question them. Anglian Water … My mother has the same issue.. I called and question them. Anglian Water will put "late payments" on your credit file every time a DD leaves the bank account if the DD amount isn't enough to cover the amount of water you are using. I was shocked when the guy I spoke to said it was company policy. This is the only thing stopping my mother getting a mortgage. Can someone suggest what she can do?

The only thing she can do is speak to Anglian water and ask them what she has to do for them to remove the entries. When I first posted this I spoke to the ICO and was informed that Anglian where entitled to do this and it was a step that most utility companies would be taking.

As they are now creating credit accounts rather then normal customer accounts, then how they deal with these would also come under the FCA, so they should be dealing with these in the appropriate manner and follow the rules around credit file entries.

For the reasons above I do find this new processes alarming, but apart from keeping in good standing in paying your bills (and avoiding even genuine mistakes) I do not know how you could avoid this problem. A large part of which you can not even take your custom else where as in the areas in which they operate water companies operate as a monopoly.

Anyone can place a credit search on your file, there are different kinds and they are not all picked up by lenders when you apply for credit. Even when you use go compare or compare the market, they put a search on your file. Unfortunately this is the way things work today, unless you are applying for credit in the very near future which you think you may not get, I would just forget about it.
My only thoughts on the matter are; You could complain to Ofwat, as you say, water companies are monopolies, we have no choice on who supplies our water services.

Anglian Water is my provider, thanks for highlighting this.
aircanman

Anyone can place a credit search on your file, there are different kinds … Anyone can place a credit search on your file, there are different kinds and they are not all picked up by lenders when you apply for credit. Even when you use go compare or compare the market, they put a search on your file. Unfortunately this is the way things work today, unless you are applying for credit in the very near future which you think you may not get, I would just forget about it.

He wasn't talking about a credit search, Anglia water are placing credit defaults on credit files for late payments, so when somebody does a search on his mum, they have a poor credit score.
I've also just found out about this on my credit file. I get billed every 6 months and usually pay it within a month. Apparently early last year I took 5 weeks to pay a bill, so on my credit file I have a "debt collection" search mark that will stay on there for 2 years and affect any credit applications I might make.
This may seem weird, but contact them and ask them to close your account and come and cut off your water. At the last moment change your mind. In the intervening period ask them to review their policy. Do it a few times. In short be an irritant to them - campaign for others to do the same - get sufficient numbers and you may enforce change - the p-oor publicity just may make them see sense.
tardytortoise

This may seem weird, but contact them and ask them to close your account … This may seem weird, but contact them and ask them to close your account and come and cut off your water. At the last moment change your mind. In the intervening period ask them to review their policy. Do it a few times. In short be an irritant to them - campaign for others to do the same - get sufficient numbers and you may enforce change - the p-oor publicity just may make them see sense.

Only just read this but I'm way ahead of you. Today I've been onto the ICO, OFWAT, CCWater, a few high up people at Unities Utilities and I've banged a couple of FOI requests in to OFWAT. Fcuk monopolies!

UU's argument is that when your in debt with them, they can do any of the things on their debt collection policy sheet. I asked them when I'm classed as in debt, as the bill always says immediate payment on it. They said technically I'm liable as soon as they print it. Mmmm we'll see about that.
Edited by: "Spacehduk" 9th Jan 2015
They do this on purpose to let people know their credit could be impacted for not paying a utility. Yes they can do it, although i agree its obnoxious
Bottom line:
A company that you pay by Direct Debit can, and should, add entries regarding your performance to Credit Reference Agencies. Providing you pay by Direct Debit and never miss a payment, your credit file will show you to be a good customer, and you'll benefit from this in many ways should you wish to seek out loans and other credit accounts, like mobile phone contracts, BT, Sky, Virgin Media.

I suspect that people who pay by "direct debit" but are being marked as being in arrears are suffering from one of two scenarios; either they're not paying by direct debit and are in fact paying by standing order, meaning the payment will remain at the same amount forever, even if the bill goes up - or, there is a slight arrears amount somehow that hasn't been dealt with and the direct debit is not claiming that missed payment, just the money due for the months prior to the arrears.

Now, don't take it so hard with all of the scary words like "credit file", "credit account" and other such references to things you may have heard bad news about. This is genuinely a good thing as long as you continue to make your monthly payment as you agreed to do. Do not - I repeat - DO NOT take advice from anyone on here who tells you that getting this information added to your credit file is a bad thing, and ignore the woeful stories of people who have had arrears markers added to their files. That is their problem and not yours.
But Anglian Water are adding entries for late payments which aren't late at all. The usage of water increased but the DD remained the same. Because the DD would not cover the increased water usage they are deciding to put late payment entries onto credit files.

I called up and asked them to change the DD accordingly and the difference was £3.

I assume I must get a notice of correction placed on the entry or is there something else I can do?
plusplus77

But Anglian Water are adding entries for late payments which aren't late … But Anglian Water are adding entries for late payments which aren't late at all. The usage of water increased but the DD remained the same. Because the DD would not cover the increased water usage they are deciding to put late payment entries onto credit files. I called up and asked them to change the DD accordingly and the difference was £3.I assume I must get a notice of correction placed on the entry or is there something else I can do?

For help reference the incorrect entry on your credit file please see the below link. This problem is one of the reasons I started this thread and I fear your case will be far from the only one.

equifax.co.uk/Pro…tml
I have been refused a Mortage today as Anglian Water have posted late payments for 6 months so this is showing on my file that i have not paid a penny to AW for 6 months! I have a DD set up to pay the amount they set and agreed with me every month and I have never missed a payment. I certainly don't mind increasing but they have never asked me too. My Gas/Electricity provider informs me if they feel my DD payment is not enough and adjusts accordingly - why do AW not do this? I am really dissapointed that this is stopping me from purchasing my new house. Can anyone advise? I will be intouch with AW & Experian today as they have provided my credit report.
Now please don't judge but I've been paying of a small debt (got into some financial difficulties) with Anglian water since 2011 which they have confirmed, I have not missed a payment since that time-£80 a month, yet they have stated that this agreement didn't start till Sept 2014 and that I've missed 6 payments, this has totally knocked my credit rating to the floor with this inaccurate information which they have confirmed is not correct but yet they are refusing to correct this. Now one of the reasons this is still showing as a debt is because they are adding on the current usage and fees quarterly so it's still showing I have a debt rather than just paying the normal bills like everyone else. Any advise on how I can get this information corrected or who I need to complain to would be much appreciated. I have gone to Anglian and they are about as useful as a chocolate fireguard and I've emailed Experian with evidence that recorded information is incorrect and am waiting for them to get back to me but pretty sure it 'won't be their issue' so need to really know what my next step should be...Help
Edited by: "teejay72" 17th Feb 2015
Can I just say to anyone who's floating in on the back of this thread that HUKD is not the place to find advice for Credit File issues.

There are much better resources, even the CAB, who can check your file with you and corroborate the information you're seeing against what you know is true.

The fact is you will never be given sound advice from this website because there are too many individual circumstances that could change the way your account has been dealt with. People need access to your credit file information as well as your bills, letters with your repayment agreements, and on top of all that, actual knowledge of debt management procedures.
Considering Anglian Water had dead sheep in the reservoir, they have a bloody cheek, when people were being ill they said their was dead rabbit in the reservoir when in fact it was dead sheep carcass that had floated through from another area near pitsford reservoir, so your argument now with them is why wasn't people really told what was in their water they are charging you for and then put you on the credit file to top it all, what a cheek!
littlecat27

Considering Anglian Water had dead sheep in the reservoir, they have a … Considering Anglian Water had dead sheep in the reservoir, they have a bloody cheek, when people were being ill they said their was dead rabbit in the reservoir when in fact it was dead sheep carcass that had floated through from another area near pitsford reservoir, so your argument now with them is why wasn't people really told what was in their water they are charging you for and then put you on the credit file to top it all, what a cheek!

a 1 year old thread last posted on 10 months ago , and this is the your offering now..
?
you're worried about dead sheep in water but not arsenic, mercury, and other pollutants? mmmkay.

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions

Top Merchants