Annoying Scam Callers (eventviewer and teamviewer) Pretending to be TalkTalk

Found 4th Sep 2015
I just thought I'd raise awareness IF you havent already heard of this one (warn your family etc).

Basically, they (usually Indian) announce themselves with a very English Name from TalkTalk (they get my name/isp right so thanks talktalk).
They say they have monitored some unusual activity from my computer.
They ~very slowly~ get you to run eventviewer.
They usually say "Oh my God" 24,000 errors? This is what I was saying blah blah blah."
They then want you to go to teamviewer.com
(it takes them a while to explain it - t for tango, e for echo etc etc)

I usually tell them to do one at that point.

Never heard of teamviewer before they started ringing, The first time they rang and asked me to go to that site I quickly googled what it was.

Its a site that lets other people take control of your pc. I have no idea what they want to do after that point, im tempted to let them on a spare pc just to see what they do. I dont know why a website like teamviewer exists when you can do it via your OS anyway.

They wont stop ringing every other day. They either don't have a lot of numbers to ring or they are the stupidest scammers on the planet. As if it didn't work the first time, they want to try again 7,8,9+ times?

So, If I'm not busy, I lead them on, I figure the more time they spend on the phone to me, is less time spent on someone it might work on. I should do a youtube recording.

The first few times they rang the number shown was 102
but ive had a few numbers now:
(im putting these here as others can google them and chat here if needed)
Community Updates
Misc
15 Comments
Thanks for posing this! I recently just switched from Talk Talk to BT and got a phone call very similar to this. Knowing absolutely nothing about the inner workings of my connecty-box to the talkywebs, I assumed that they ('Talk Talk') must have been picking up on some latent signal. Anyway, once I mentioned the fact that I had just left Talk Talk, they quickly slammed the phone down on me without so much as a goodbye.

Just thought I'd add my two cents and second splat's plea for vigilance.
Edited by: "CoffinMatt" 4th Sep 2015
I run teamviewer. It gives you remote access to your PC from a phone or tablet. It'll also give the scammer remote access to your PC too.
stuarthanley

I run teamviewer. It gives you remote access to your PC from a phone or … I run teamviewer. It gives you remote access to your PC from a phone or tablet. It'll also give the scammer remote access to your PC too.

Yep, me too. Handy when im working and the kids need help, or i need a file.
Sounds like a version of the "Windows computer technical department " scam . Aim is to plant a bug (or several ) in your computer .

You are probably getting repeat calls as you have engaged in conversation with them , so they think they have a chance .

Top tip ! Do not engage in conversation - use a few choice Old English words and slam the phone down .X)
Yeah, when Im really busy and detect a foreign accent, I say "Your from TalkTalk aren't you, you want me to run event viewer and then you want me to go to teamviewer to control my computer yea?" tone goes dead.

but **** off makes them put the phone down just as quick I guess.

For my mobile I use a call blocker, I might have to get something for the landline..
I think I remember hearing somewhere that they lock your PC when using teamviewer then ask you to pay to unlock it. I've never got the call but I have a Virtual Machine set up just waiting...
I like being completely obnoxious with them. Literally get them to talk you through everything.
"How do I switch the laptop on?"
"Press the power button"
"What does it look like?"
"Circle with a line through it"
"I can't see it. I can't see any buttons, its just a flat black box"
"Is the lid open?"
"I'm not sure, how can I check?"

Etc etc.....
Received one of these calls about a year ago, telling me my computer had viruses and they would remove it for me.
I told them I don't have a computer. They hung up. Haven't received a dodgy call since.
I would tell them the same as its true.

but I endlessly get call from some stupid accident line, I say the same thing every time that no one here has ever had a accident stop calling here, but the next week as regular as clockwork they call again.
I never get these calls, it's not fair I would have a field day winding them up.

BTW we use teamviewer at work and is great for remote access.
tell em you have a mac, that usually confuses them too.

i just had to do a repair on a scammed machine today at work. sadly the owner had allowed them remote access and when he refused to pay the £180 they asked for, they put a syskey password on his machine so that even before the account login, it asked for a password.
stuarthanley

I like being completely obnoxious with them. Literally get them to talk … I like being completely obnoxious with them. Literally get them to talk you through everything."How do I switch the laptop on?" "Press the power button""What does it look like?""Circle with a line through it""I can't see it. I can't see any buttons, its just a flat black box""Is the lid open?""I'm not sure, how can I check?"Etc etc.....

I do this, then say ok it's counting down from 2 minutes, they then wait for a while and ask if my pc is now on, I say no I've been talking about the microwave, gotta go my pizza is getting cold
slackrat77

tell em you have a mac, that usually confuses them too.i just had to do a … tell em you have a mac, that usually confuses them too.i just had to do a repair on a scammed machine today at work. sadly the owner had allowed them remote access and when he refused to pay the £180 they asked for, they put a syskey password on his machine so that even before the account login, it asked for a password.

Can I ask, if it's not too much trouble, how to fix this? I assume you could still get into BIOS and clean install of Windows?
Talktalk is a joke they monitor all your activity, great deals terrible provider
Edited by: "Myriad" 5th Sep 2015

Here's some old tips from a b3ta user about how to deal with cold calls.... b3ta.com/que…378

I spent a few month being unemployed a few years back (insert Scouser … I spent a few month being unemployed a few years back (insert Scouser joke here). What I found quite quickly is that you get an awful lot of telesales calls during the day. Out of sheer boredom, I started trolling these people, rather than just hanging up. I used to take great delight in: giving a rediculously false name (Miss Tallulah Nahasapeemapetilon, Rev. Dave Thelordisoursavior) giving my address as cell 962, B wing, Styal Prisoncontinuing my conversation with my cat, asking her opinion on what I was being soldsaying "you'll have to speak more slowly, I'm naked"giving a few fake details, then saying "what is it you want the info for again?" giving a few more fake details then saying "what is it you want the info for?"when asked if I own my home, saying "no I just squat here"answering every question with "stop messing about, Dave, I know it's you"I would always tell double-glazing types that my house didn't have any windows and that I'd bricked them all up because "I'm a vampire, you see"saying "can you hang on a minute" and lying the reciever on the table, returning every minute or so to say "I'll be with you in a tick"Asking really stupid questions, like "what's a loan?" or "what are windows?"just repeating their questions back to them instead of giving an answer I think I got blacklisted after a while, since the sales calls stopped... (ScousersPet, Mon 23 May 2011, 15:29)

And as I said on another TT thread, I got a call from "Talktalk" (mentioned it on the Ask forum on here six months ago, but nobody seemed too concerned) where the caller rattled off my name, address, account number, date of birth, phone number. hotukdeals.com/tag…770
Edited by: "louiselouise" 27th Oct 2015
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants