Another camping question (sorry)

22 replies
Found 27th Jun 2009
We have our new tent up as wanted to see if its waterproof as we have some pretty awful weather tonight (heavy rain, hail etc). Anyway, been out there to check and water coming in a bit, appears to be where there are toggles in the tent (through the seams there) and also at the top part of the tent where there is a weird bit up the top. There is a small net at the very top of the tent, poles outside that and then a cover over the top bit. The cover bit is really thin and water has got in a bit into the main living area.

My question is, is this normal? Its a cheapish tent from Argos but has good reviews. I obviously dont want to get wet and the weather we had tonight here where I am was pretty extreme. The tent is a 2000mm hydrostatic head. Are they meant to keep all the water out or just some? I dont know if I should take it back or not and get another one or just exchange it!!! Im new to camping and not too keen!!!!!!

1. Misc
  2. Camping
22 Comments

Original Poster

http://i369.photobucket.com/albums/oo134/charlene265/tent.jpg Our tent

Take an umbrella dude :thumbsup:

Pretty tent

what with the rain we had tonight it woulda been crazy being out in a tent in it...

the rain would have gathered underneath the tent where you were sleeping and you'd have felt the damp up through your bodies no matter the waterproof layers, let alone been worried about any droplets getting in through carelessly closed zips etc.

that tent looks fine to me... in such weather we'd have ran from the tent to seek a cave or better still a nice warm pub.

Just because you're camping doesn't mean you're leaving civilisation behind!!

You'll be fine love, you're just anxious about it and thinking about it too much and worrying x x x

the tent looks fine :thumbsup:

you might get some seepage with the amount of rain thats been around, my tent lets in a light mist of water when it really rains hard. I have used Fabsil on my tent to give it more waterproof protection.

]Hydrostatic Head explanation.

what rain????/

Take an inflatable dingy in case you get good weather. And if its bad you can sleep in it in the tent. Tie it to a secure tent peg though and make sure you have a good umbrella. Just think of all the fresh air your lungs will be breathing. Very healthy. And skin is waterproof. LOL

When are you going the forcast is good for next week

Original Poster

Thanks everyone, been out to look again and its defintely leaking. Will be taking it back. I guess thats what you get if you only pay £60! Decent ones, three times that though

Original Poster

jeany123;5606780

When are you going the forcast is good for next week

Not until end of July Jeany

And park the car quite close so there is an emergency shelter if really required. I remenber a night when I was in a tent and it turned into a sinking ship. The car was a welcome refuge. Hired a mobile home for the remainder of the holiday. Will be great fun if the weather is good though.

bargainhunter2009;5606859

Thanks everyone, been out to look again and its defintely leaking. Will … Thanks everyone, been out to look again and its defintely leaking. Will be taking it back. I guess thats what you get if you only pay £60! Decent ones, three times that though

thats if you can get it back into the bag :-D

i think your right to take it back. Cheap as it is it shouldnt leak

Original Poster

cherishu2;5606989

i think your right to take it back. Cheap as it is it shouldnt leak

Think your right, will take it back. No idea what to get now though?

Check] this website out - they have some very good tent deals at the moment - if you sign up for their discount card there are even better bargains to be had

I saw this in morrisons last week,you could call all your local stores and see if they have any left hotukdeals.com/ite…-5/

ettam123;5607733

I saw this in morrisons last week,you could call all your local stores … I saw this in morrisons last week,you could call all your local stores and see if they have any left http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/423235/gelert-6-man-tent-rrp-149-99-only-5/

Very good price for that - and a well known brand :thumbsup:

Original Poster

Monkeybumcheeks;5607802

Very good price for that - and a well known brand :thumbsup:

We have none left in our Morrisons, thanks anyway

millets.co.uk/cam…tml
we got picked this up on store for £40 as it was an ex display really good tent and can confirm is 100% leak proof..

Original Poster

I got a new one today. Its the tigris 400, sewn in groundsheet etc - cost fair bit more but looks much better

bargainhunter2009;5611696

I got a new one today. Its the tigris 400, sewn in groundsheet etc - cost … I got a new one today. Its the tigris 400, sewn in groundsheet etc - cost fair bit more but looks much better

glad you're happy with it hon

and have a lovely time camping x x

Original Poster

ClarityofMind;5611762

glad you're happy with it hon and have a lovely time camping x x

Thanks Clarity of MInd :thumbsup:

bargainhunter2009;5613296

Thanks Clarity of MInd :thumbsup:

you're welcome sweetie x x
Post a comment
@
    Text