Another eBay Initiative *Sigh*

25 replies
Found 20th Feb 2008
Apparently they are testing a new system on the .com site whereby if you have a Dispatch Time rating of 4 or below, a red warning message is put on your Auction pages warning potential buyers that the "Seller has a low rating for shipping time".

Bear in mind that a star rating of 4 is considered 'Good' when you leave feedback.

This is just getting too ridiculous. :-(

Originally seen on MSE - Thanks Brooker Dave

25 Comments

Can anyone recommend a good online auction site ?

I like the idea in principal, but if 4 is considered 'Good' then the threshold needs lowering.

Original Poster

lesleysherrock;1607032

Can anyone recommend a good online auction site ?

]Tazbar and ]ebid are supposed to be good. Just one problem though, they just don't get the custom.

i started using tazbar, ordered a week or so ago, still haven't seen the package...

apparently it was posted on the 12th, that's worrying

Tazbar is good and friendly, i think whats happening is, everyone is rushing to list the items and everyone wants to sell but not many buy

Original Poster

thesaint;1607042

I like the idea in principal, but if 4 is considered 'Good' then the … I like the idea in principal, but if 4 is considered 'Good' then the threshold needs lowering.

As someone on the eBay.com forum said, under eBay's trading guidelines, you are allowed to take up to 7 days to dispatch an item. There should therefor only be one criteria used when judging dispatch times. Did the seller dispatche the item within 7 days, yes or no?

But yeah, if they are going to do it this way, it needs to be set lower.

Just had a look at tazbar, the BIN now prices are the same as the starting bid for most things.
Until they let market forces decide prices, they will get nowhere.

How about a thread where everyone can list the other available auction sites so that they become more aware to other HUKD subscribers? I only heard of tazbar on here last week....

nightswimmer;1607092

As someone on the eBay.com forum said, under eBay's trading guidelines, … As someone on the eBay.com forum said, under eBay's trading guidelines, you are allowed to take up to 7 days to dispatch an item. There should therefor only be one criteria used when judging dispatch times. Did the seller dispatche the item within 7 days, yes or no?

I think that dispatching on the same day as the auction ends deserves a 'Bonus' for a seller over a seller that dispatches on day 6.

They are both good, but all things being equal, I would like to be pointed in the direction of seller 1.

HUKD mini auctions ..... ummmmmmmm idea ........ how about Mini Friday Auctions at HUKD

The other thing of course is that as it says on ebay, sellers are not responsible for delivery times (ie the time taken by royal mail etc), so you could get an under 4 rating because royal mail are taking a while with first class mail. Not the seller's fault as ebay say yet they want to penalise you for it.

Personally I send everything the same day as paid for but that's because I have the time to do that and I think that it should reflect in my ratings.

ebay

*Sellers are not responsible for delivery time. This information is … *Sellers are not responsible for delivery time. This information is provided by the carrier and excludes weekends and bank holidays. Note that delivery times may vary, particularly during peak periods.

Original Poster

thesaint;1607112

I think that dispatching on the same day as the auction ends deserves a … I think that dispatching on the same day as the auction ends deserves a 'Bonus' for a seller over a seller that dispatches on day 6.They are both good, but all things being equal, I would like to be pointed in the direction of seller 1.

I can understand what you are saying, but doing it this way is just yet another initiative to drive the smaller non-professional sellers off eBay.

So basically they rely on most people giving a 5 in a Likert Scale: where characteristically people rarely use either extreme...

nightswimmer;1607190

I can understand what you are saying, but doing it this way is just yet … I can understand what you are saying, but doing it this way is just yet another initiative to drive the smaller non-professional sellers off eBay.

I don't know enough about Ebay to know why they would want to get rid of smaller sellers, I have sold about 11 things and bought 3 or 4.

It is usually easy to see when someone posted something immediately by the postmark/proof of posting etc. There are always going to be exceptions.

Maybe it would be better if the system had a green light for +4 sellers instead of a red warning for 4- sellers?

thesaint;1607274

Maybe it would be better if the system had a green light for +4 sellers … Maybe it would be better if the system had a green light for +4 sellers instead of a red warning for 4- sellers?

Agreed (for once!), I think ebay prefer to scare people into sending the same day rather than rewarding them for doing so. Funny way to do business but they have control don't they!

Corporate bullying. Simple as that.

Original Poster

thesaint;1607274

I don't know enough about Ebay to know why they would want to get rid of … I don't know enough about Ebay to know why they would want to get rid of smaller sellers, I have sold about 11 things and bought 3 or 4.

There are several reasons, the main one being their new CEO wanting eBay to be seen as a professional market place rather than a place you can buy or sell any old tatt.

If you look at all their changes recently (the changes in fee structure, the changes in feedback, the changes in listing positioning, the changes in seller protection, etc.) they all favour the professional sellers and hinder the small sellers.

Maybe it would be better if the system had a green light for +4 sellers … Maybe it would be better if the system had a green light for +4 sellers instead of a red warning for 4- sellers?

I think the current star system (although flawed) is better, as at least it leaves it to the individual buyers to judge what they consider a good or bad score to be.

auctionlotwatch.co.uk/auc…tml

Here is a website listing auction websites.

Amazon Marketplace is 2 working days you need post by.

Well some buyers can be damn impatient,so say something ends Sunday,they wnating you to post next day and you can't till Tuesday then they get Wed by 1st class they probably stick you 1 star anyway.Its all very well eBay making these ' guidelines' but they not fair on seller. I'm trying have a sort through stuff at moment and be getting rid of on eBay and am looking into going elsewhere.
I've got a lot of used stuff and odds and ends,sometimes with some of the stuff I've got you get ppl pay rideculous prices on eBay.
It's been always 1 sided with buyer in favour for Paypal and now eBay are in more of favour of buyers. The sellers are eBay customers,the buyers are the sellers and eBay should be looking more after seller so we can deal with buyer better, Its come to this though,as so many people been scammed/ripped off 1 way or other and they trying keep it going,so now in favour of buyer.

They should maybe make it a "how many working days until you received the item" rating, then any potential buyer can make a decision between two sellers based on how likely they'll get the item by a certain time. At the moment there's not guideline on what 4 stars is in terms of delivery time. It's a matter of opinion rather than fact.

Original Poster

Benjimoron;1607389

They should maybe make it a "how many working days until you received the … They should maybe make it a "how many working days until you received the item" rating

We'd have to stop selling stuff abroad if they did that.

At the moment there's not guideline on what 4 stars is in terms of … At the moment there's not guideline on what 4 stars is in terms of delivery time. It's a matter of opinion rather than fact.

This is the huge problem with the star system as it is at the moment and typical of eBay. They just wash their hands of anything where they have to commit.

Say you only sell a few items and for some reason you may not post immediately,then say they get delayed in the post,you could end up being really low. The system is only fairer for those selling huge amounts cos if they did get a few people rating 1 star,it not going knock them unlike someone only selling a few items and having hard luck with mail. Who to know if buyer will take into consideration the day you posted it if royalmail are slow to deliver,once we hand it over at counter we can't do anything to make sure it gets there any quicker unless special delivery and I only use that for more expensive items and most time I only get 99p to a few quid for items so buyers not going want to pay £6 or whatever when they cna pay £1.50.

Its a really silly system the ebay rating system as it appears you are not expected to give honest ratings, more a case of either 5 star or 0 star. When I first used it I was 'honest' and gave the seller mostly 4 star ratings (it was dispatched quite quickly but not next day so I considered it 'good').

The only way to do it without royal mail delays coming into it is to have to provide proof when you've sent it. ie to get a 5 star you'd have to e-mail proof of posting to ebay but then it becomes such a palava that ebay wouldn't want to do it.

As mum2conner&cerys says, the big seller will be ok (as long as buyers generally put 5 stars for receiving within a day or two), the small seller will struggle to get a sale once a couple of items have been delayed.

Do buyers generally put 5 stars? You'd have to receive it next day or maybe the day after to get 5 stars surely? If everyone puts 4 stars then you only need one to be delayed to put a warning on your account! Either way if you're anywhere near a warning you'd end up paying the highest fees possible as you've got to get 4.6 in all categories haven't you to get a discount?

I wonder how a normal retailer would do on ebay? ie with the number of complaints that people have about most on-line retailers I don't think that they would get 4.6 / 5.0 would they? Ebay must want some very high standard sellers, or not want to give out much discount on fees!

EDIT:- Just to put this in a bit of perspective, assuming buyers don't change the way they vote for some reason (ebay suggesting they vote lower for example?) then it's not that difficult to stay above 4, mine is at 4.7 at the moment but like I say I can post nearly every day so items go out quickly. If you're doing this as a sort of business then you should surely be posting everyday so keeping your score above 4 isn't that difficult.

as a buyer (and occasional seller), i usually give 5 stars all round and 4 for communications. 5 stars for communications would be a quick reply or an email saying they've dispatched the item. 4 stars for postage times would be 4-5 days wait, 10 days 3 stars. as for postage fees and item description, it's always been fine for me, but if it were bad i would probably give bad star ratings....
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769592
    2. Unlock access to thousands of hidden movies and genres on Netflix using cod…33
    3. Trying to create a list of short modern video games. Any suggestions?13
    4. #KoemanIn, Thank You Koeman for trying to get Everton relegated!811

See more discussions