Another eBay ripoff?

Found 30th Oct 2015
So I haven't returned an item on eBay for a long time, however I now want to return an item. The seller accepts returns within 14 days so that is not a problem.

The problem I am having is that when I choose to return the item eBay is trying to force me to pay £2.99 to send the item back with Royal Mail, which is ridiculous because it would only cost me £1.84 to do this myself using a Signed For service. However there does not seem to be an option in which I can choose to return the item myself.

Any help would be appreciated or advice because I fear that there may not be a solution unless I contact the seller directly and return the item without making an 'official' return through eBay.

I also fear though that if I were to return myself without using eBay prepaid label then perhaps eBay has updated their terms and conditions which may mean that I am not protected if I do this?

Should I just pay the £2.99? Thanks in advance.
Community Updates
Ask
33 Comments
I think you already know the answer.
dereklogan7

I think you already know the answer.

That's helpful
If the extra £1.15 is going to kill you then send it via RM. I doubt you have to use their service and you should be covered with an RM tracking number
Is it a private seller?
deb8z

Is it a private seller?

No, a business seller.
joshp

No, a business seller.

Presumably you get that back once the item has been delivered anyway.

Did you contact the seller first and ask about returning an item,I hate when buyers open cases and don't just ask me,I'm a reasonable person, you don't need to open a case,just contact me

But Ebay has everybody believing that we are all out to scam everyone oO
what's the value of the item you are sending back ?
Yes, eBay are rip off merchants, but unfortunately, people still use it so they will continue doing so.
Why don't you just ask eBay for clarification?
deb8z

Presumably you get that back once the item has been delivered anyway.Did … Presumably you get that back once the item has been delivered anyway.Did you contact the seller first and ask about returning an item,I hate when buyers open cases and don't just ask me,I'm a reasonable person, you don't need to open a case,just contact me :)But Ebay has everybody believing that we are all out to scam everyone oO

I am a little confused as to why you think I should get that back? The item was fine, therefore I am responsible for the return postage charge. Although it is easy to do, I am not going to make the seller pay as its my responsibility. I like to treat other people how I would expect to be treated myself as I think that's only fair, its a shame more people don't think like this.

I wasn't aware that opening a return request would automatically open an eBay case? Surly it would not be negative to the seller because its a simple return, nothing related to the item not being as described ect.. therefore I am certain that they would not be penalized for someone returning an item.

I will contact the seller and see what they advise.

Edited by: "joshp" 30th Oct 2015
furbars

what's the value of the item you are sending back ?

£40.
ktm666

Yes, eBay are rip off merchants, but unfortunately, people still use it … Yes, eBay are rip off merchants, but unfortunately, people still use it so they will continue doing so.Why don't you just ask eBay for clarification?

I will do later when I have chance, however I asked the question when they was not open
You say the seller accepts returns up to 14days. Don't worry about that, you can start a claim within 180days with PayPal
benjammin316

You say the seller accepts returns up to 14days. Don't worry about that, … You say the seller accepts returns up to 14days. Don't worry about that, you can start a claim within 180days with PayPal

Not if you are only returning it as you do not like/require it. The paypal route is only if the item is faulty or not as described.
I would contact the seller tell them that you are using your preferred postage method, if they are a decent seller with good feedback I can't see a problem.
joshp

I am a little confused as to why you think I should get that back? The … I am a little confused as to why you think I should get that back? The item was fine, therefore I am responsible for the return postage charge. Although it is easy to do, I am not going to make the seller pay as its my responsibility. I like to treat other people how I would expect to be treated myself as I think that's only fair, its a shame more people don't think like this. I wasn't aware that opening a return request would automatically open an eBay case? Surly it would not be negative to the seller because its a simple return, nothing related to the item not being as described ect.. therefore I am certain that they would not be penalized for someone returning an item. I will contact the seller and see what they advise.

Because I wrongly assumed there was a problem with the item,not that you just wanted to return it,oops X)
Argoj

Not if you are only returning it as you do not like/require it. The … Not if you are only returning it as you do not like/require it. The paypal route is only if the item is faulty or not as described.

Easy work around Bro
So eBay charge more than the actual postage cost, extra income cha ching.
I've never returned things using eBay suggested method and never had a problem. Do what you would do if you bought it from a shop and contact the seller direct saying you changed your mind and ask for return address info and return authorisation number. No point opening claims with eBay that's more for if the seller is ignoring you or telling you not to return items and you still believe you are entitled to do so. Some sellers might however prefer you post using a certain service such as Parcelforce24 which in turn could work out more expensive than eBay but as the value is very low they'll probably just ask that you return within a satisfactory time frame and use a tracked insured method - which will help later if they claim not to have received it or it gets lost and you have to open a claim. Wouldn't say it is a scam, maybe they charge a little more in order to implement the service and allow you to return an item easier if you are not a business user and have less access to cheap rates and some people actually prefer the comfort of printing labels from home and not having to muck around in the post office queue then get back home and manually link data to your profile! Different postal services will have different insurance rates too if it gets lost so not always about being the cheapest. eBay will automatically ensure the whole value is covered where as by selecting your own method like royal mail tracked standard parcels etc. may be insufficient and you'll only get your postal fee back in the event of loss or damage. Again you could be a business user with access to cheaper rates which would make more sense to use but if not its worth double checking what insurance is offered especially if price is that low as a lot of couriers offer insurance as an add on rather than as standard.
MR1123

So eBay charge more than the actual postage cost, extra income cha ching.

The OP is a business seller so pays cheaper postage,it would only cost less to post if it was a lightweight large letter item.

I don't know what the £2.99 is for,as to whether that's a signed for option.........
You're already saving on general post fees daily, stop being cheap over £1.15.
thesimpsons_uk

You're already saving on general post fees daily, stop being cheap over … You're already saving on general post fees daily, stop being cheap over £1.15.

That's harsh mate, this guy is going to lose sleep over this and you rubbing his face in it is just going to compound the issue. I think we need to start a group funding project to offset this amount.
Its a 'return request' not a 'case' and you do not have to use the 2.99 ebay postage label, just ask seller for address to return back to but that should already be in the return request.
Although postage label 2.99 does include tracking too, so not really a rip off ever, unless you can send item via large letter you may save a bit.
Simply post it yourself and call eBay with the tracking details and they input in there system. I done it many times as u don't have to use there return labels.
Just send the seller a message and ask for the return address. Tell them you will be sending it back via Royal Mail tracked.

I prefer customers who contact me for a return rather than using Ebays system because the latter puts a black mark on my account and defects go towards losing your top rated seller status. Yes I lose my final value fee but I prefer my top rated status and listing positions than a few extra quid a month in final value return fees.

If for any reason the person does not refund you then just get in touch with Ebay as you have a record of contact via the message system and also the tracking number, Ebay will then step in and refund you if the seller ignores you.
deb8z

Because I wrongly assumed there was a problem with the item,not that you … Because I wrongly assumed there was a problem with the item,not that you just wanted to return it,oops X)

No worries

Also just to clarify, I am using a private account, the seller has a business account. It was an Xbox One game so postage would only cost me £1.84 for Royal Mail's Signed For delivery.
thesimpsons_uk

You're already saving on general post fees daily, stop being cheap over … You're already saving on general post fees daily, stop being cheap over £1.15.

How am I saving on postage fee's? I pay what everyone else does; standard rates.
Sandy1012

Its a 'return request' not a 'case' and you do not have to use the 2.99 … Its a 'return request' not a 'case' and you do not have to use the 2.99 ebay postage label, just ask seller for address to return back to but that should already be in the return request. Although postage label 2.99 does include tracking too, so not really a rip off ever, unless you can send item via large letter you may save a bit.

I don't think you understand. Royal Mail charge £1.84 for the Signed For delivery, eBay are trying to charge £2.99 for the exact same service.

NEtech

Just send the seller a message and ask for the return address. Tell them … Just send the seller a message and ask for the return address. Tell them you will be sending it back via Royal Mail tracked. I prefer customers who contact me for a return rather than using Ebays system because the latter puts a black mark on my account and defects go towards losing your top rated seller status. Yes I lose my final value fee but I prefer my top rated status and listing positions than a few extra quid a month in final value return fees.If for any reason the person does not refund you then just get in touch with Ebay as you have a record of contact via the message system and also the tracking number, Ebay will then step in and refund you if the seller ignores you.

Thank you, that's great. I will send the seller a message this evening.
Thank you also to those who responded with sensible answers that I haven't replied to!
Ebay even charge you their commission / fees on your postage costs.
I had a long battle with them when they first started it .
They ended up giving me a £25 voucher to buy me off but I have not sold anything on Ebay since.

Who do think won ?
landros1

Ebay even charge you their commission / fees on your postage costs.I had … Ebay even charge you their commission / fees on your postage costs.I had a long battle with them when they first started it .They ended up giving me a £25 voucher to buy me off but I have not sold anything on Ebay since.Who do think won ?

That's because sellers were exploiting the loophole and charging e.g 1p plus £24.99 P&P for a £25 item to avoid paying a final selling percentage fee. Makes it simpler this way, I just put things BIN with free postage and know exactly what I will pay in fees
tallpete33

That's because sellers were exploiting the loophole and charging e.g 1p … That's because sellers were exploiting the loophole and charging e.g 1p plus £24.99 P&P for a £25 item to avoid paying a final selling percentage fee. Makes it simpler this way, I just put things BIN with free postage and know exactly what I will pay in fees

Could not agree more, a lot of people go on about how Ebay rip you off and this that the other. But, where else will you get the kind of coverage that Ebay provides along with a massive buyer base for below average auction fees?

10% final value fee is nothing compared to most B&M auction houses. It is very competitive and also the 3.4% PayPal fee is in line with the industry standard. I love selling on Ebay even though it can be frustrating dealing with some buyers whom seem a spark short of a firework, but I suppose you get that in every business so I just take the rough with the smooth and laugh it off.
Edited by: "NEtech" 30th Oct 2015
NEtech

Could ot agree more, a lot of people go on about how Ebay rip you off and … Could ot agree more, a lot of people go on about how Ebay rip you off and this that the other. But, where else will you get the kind of coverage that Ebay provides along with a massive buyer base for below average auction fees?10% final value fee is nothing compared to most B&M auction houses. It is very competitive and also the 3.4% PayPal fee is in line with the industry standard. I love selling on Ebay even though it can be frustrating dealing with some buyers whom seem a spark short of a firework, but I suppose you get that in every business so I just take the rough with the smooth and laugh it off.

I had to return an item two weeks ago when the seller sent me the wrong item. I wasn't aware that I needed to go via eBay so when the seller didn't refund my return postage costs and ignored my messages, I contacted eBay. Because the item cost had been refunded they said they couldn't help. I was a bit disappointed with their lack of help bit I guess the seller knew exactly what he was doing. Didn't even get an apology from him for sending the wrong item.
In future, ill send it via eBay because I won't be out of pocket.
Sandy1012

Its a 'return request' not a 'case' and you do not have to use the 2.99 … Its a 'return request' not a 'case' and you do not have to use the 2.99 ebay postage label, just ask seller for address to return back to but that should already be in the return request. Although postage label 2.99 does include tracking too, so not really a rip off ever, unless you can send item via large letter you may save a bit.

I don't think you understand. Royal Mail charge £1.84 for the Signed For delivery, eBay are trying to charge £2.99 for the exact same service.[/quote]

I totally understand, i did say in the case where you can send send an item via 'large letter' you can save, but then also think if you had an item that was a 'medium' size parcel with weight over 1kg ( a heavy coat etc) the cheapest post office tracked price is 5.99. So then 2.99 is not a bad price it all depends on the item being returned.

Edited by: "Sandy1012" 31st Oct 2015
Most printer cartridges are to thick (all though they only weigh a few grams) to send as a letter so they have you by the proverbials.
Some of the options you mention may not have been available 2 or 3 years ago when I stopped selling on Ebay.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants