Another flight ticket refund question

Posted 19th Apr
sorry guys ive looked for threads to answer my question but couldnt find any. i booked to morocco in august and i purchased the ticket via my credit card. now me and the mrs have come to a decision we dont want to go due to the covid 19. what are my rights. can i get a refund through barclaycard?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
Only if the flights are cancelled. If you choose not to go then it's your 'fault' for not going.
14 Comments
Only if the flights are cancelled. If you choose not to go then it's your 'fault' for not going.
I’m in a similar situation. Booked a holiday to Spain at the end of June and even if the lockdown restrictions are lifted by then, we’ve decided it’s best we don’t go. Unfortunately in my case we did not book with a credit card (although we did use PayPal). If anyone could shed some light to our options that would be great
No you can't. At the moment, your holiday is not cancelled. Should you cancel, it's your choice therefore no refund. You would have to wait for either the government or the holiday company to cancel then you would be due a refund.
pjj25719/04/2020 15:42

No you can't. At the moment, your holiday is not cancelled. Should you …No you can't. At the moment, your holiday is not cancelled. Should you cancel, it's your choice therefore no refund. You would have to wait for either the government or the holiday company to cancel then you would be due a refund.

Is there no way to go through the credit card company?
adeljay9219/04/2020 15:43

No. You have changed your mind as it stands. You could see if the holiday company you booked through would allow you to ammend, eg change to a different date in the future, however until the holiday is cancelled through no fault of yours you're stuck I'm afraid.

not at this stage because the holiday is avsilable. You have in essence got what you paid for. Have you checked your travel insurance?

Credit card companies only act in cases of fraud. Changing your mind is not a valid reason. Just be patient. Either the world is still a mess and your flight is cancelled so you get a refund or everything is good and you get to go on holiday.
pjj25719/04/2020 15:46

No. You have changed your mind as it stands. You could see if the holiday …No. You have changed your mind as it stands. You could see if the holiday company you booked through would allow you to ammend, eg change to a different date in the future, however until the holiday is cancelled through no fault of yours you're stuck I'm afraid.

Thanks might contact the company and move it to next year
Unfortunately if you choose to cancel then I don’t believe a refund will be possible. You could look at moving it to a different date instead
The more annoying thing is that at the moment travel agents ect are only refunding in the form of a credit note. Which is against the law but they don't care. I have to pay the remaining balance of £1500 for a holiday in July that I know won't be going ahead and then try and claim it back once it's cancelled.
stubbadub19/04/2020 15:53

The more annoying thing is that at the moment travel agents ect are only …The more annoying thing is that at the moment travel agents ect are only refunding in the form of a credit note. Which is against the law but they don't care. I have to pay the remaining balance of £1500 for a holiday in July that I know won't be going ahead and then try and claim it back once it's cancelled.

Thats the worst

Assuming Section 75 qualification criteria has been met for the purchase: the CC issuer will only replicate the merchant's t&c applicable to your booking, or relevant legislation if different. If the merchant's t&c states you are entitled to (insert reason) refund but fails to provide it, the CC is obligated to cover the refund. If the merchant's t&c does not cover your expectation of (insert reason) refund, neither will the CC issuer.
Sorry to be unsympathetic but your case is just another that demonstrates your money is the last thing you should ever part with!
In an ideal world you would only ever pay for something after you have consumed the product/service and you were happy. For example, you book a meal at a restaurant for a special occasion in the future. Most of the time you only pay for the meal afterwards.
So with holidays, why have we let the providers demand their money up front?
If we all only turned up at airports when we wanted to travel and we only paid for our accommodation when we checked out - all the companies would soon get the message.
As it stands, we now take risks and we agree to the companies T&Cs. If you don't like those risks or their T&Cs then you should not book/pay.
At times, consumers can be their own worst enemies.
tardytortoise19/04/2020 17:06

Sorry to be unsympathetic but your case is just another that demonstrates …Sorry to be unsympathetic but your case is just another that demonstrates your money is the last thing you should ever part with!In an ideal world you would only ever pay for something after you have consumed the product/service and you were happy. For example, you book a meal at a restaurant for a special occasion in the future. Most of the time you only pay for the meal afterwards.So with holidays, why have we let the providers demand their money up front?If we all only turned up at airports when we wanted to travel and we only paid for our accommodation when we checked out - all the companies would soon get the message.As it stands, we now take risks and we agree to the companies T&Cs. If you don't like those risks or their T&Cs then you should not book/pay.At times, consumers can be their own worst enemies.

I agree totally
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions