Another pointless death caused by social media.

Banned 22 replies
Found 28th Aug 2016
An example of how destructive and awful it is being labelled racist.

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
22 Comments

Original Poster Banned

Teenage girl killed herself amid fears she would be branded racist over joke photo she sent friends, inquest hears

[A talented teenage gymnast committed suicide after becoming concerned she would be branded "racist" after taking a joke photograph and sharing it with friends, an inquest heard.

Phoebe Connop, 16, uploaded an edited picture of herself where her skin tone had been darkened and she was wearing a scarf wrapped around her head to a private Instagram message, which she shared with friends. /i]

[i]Miss Connop, who had been speaking regularly to an Asian male, told the group it was what she would have to look like to get approval from her "boyfriend's" parents.

The image was shared beyond the private group and Miss Connop feared their would be a backlash, the inquest heard. She died on July 7 after committing suicide at her family home.

Just days early on July 2 the award-winning gymnast had posted pictures of her school leavers prom on her Facebook page.
http://i3.birminghammail.co.uk/incoming/article11630923.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/phoebe_02.jpg

Has anyone actually realised that this poor girl took her own life because of a media driven racial divide? What she actually was saying by taking the picture is that they like each other but would never be accepted as a couple. Hardly a crime or a racist picture.
Edited by: "MrScotchBonnet" 28th Aug 2016

She must have had other issues to be of a mind to commit suicide over a photo that hadn't even had any sort of response from anyone outside her group.

Original Poster Banned

stuarthanley

She must have had other issues to be of a mind to commit suicide over a … She must have had other issues to be of a mind to commit suicide over a photo that hadn't even had any sort of response from anyone outside her group.

"There had been some negative reaction and she confided in her friend, who did take the image down at her request, that she was scared of what the reaction might be from the Asian community in her area."

No mention of anything other than fear of the backlash from the photo she posted. I guess she genuinely feared for her own safety.

It seems anxiety may have been her main problem, she feared a backlash, not that there ever was one. Quite sad. Could have just apologied and moved on. Shows how destructive social media can become.

MrScotchBonnet

"There had been some negative reaction and she confided in her friend, … "There had been some negative reaction and she confided in her friend, who did take the image down at her request, that she was scared of what the reaction might be from the Asian community in her area."No mention of anything other than fear of the backlash from the photo she posted. I guess she genuinely feared for her own safety.

That's the problem with people lately. Too scared of offending anyone and the consequences. Would hate to be a child/teen growing up in today's society.

Original Poster Banned

stuarthanley

That's the problem with people lately. Too scared of offending anyone … That's the problem with people lately. Too scared of offending anyone and the consequences. Would hate to be a child/teen growing up in today's society.

Agree. Glad social media wasn't around when I was growing up.

MrScotchBonnet

Agree. Glad social media wasn't around when I was growing up.

Me too, my screw ups and embarrassing fails were pre smartphones and social media, thankfully they are just a memory.

So sad.

I'm not a thick skinned person, so I would hate to grow up in this social media world.
Technology is good for humankind but social media is certainly not the way forward. Many lives have been destroyed by social media because of so many cowards hiding behind a keyboard.

Banned

So she basically photoshopped herself as what she'd look like if she was dark skinned and Muslim (i.e., having her head covered) because the family of the boyfriend didn't accept her. In the end, because of how things went she killed herself.

Also, it's perfectly fine for the family to pretty much be racist towards the girl, social media?

When will peole wake up and just switch off from social media. Your followers arent real friends,its controlled by bullies and nobodies acting all hard but when confronted in person are pussies.

Spasho

Also, it's perfectly fine for the family to pretty much be racist towards … Also, it's perfectly fine for the family to pretty much be racist towards the girl, social media?

Wtf are you on about?

She was frightened of a backlash from the Asian community?

Doesn't that indicate her view on Asians rather than any reflection on Social Media?

Original Poster Banned

Mark2111

She was frightened of a backlash from the Asian community?Doesn't that … She was frightened of a backlash from the Asian community?Doesn't that indicate her view on Asians rather than any reflection on Social Media?

Hard to comment unless you love amongst and in these communities. I don't so no idea if there was anything to fear or not. It's just unfortunate how social media can play such a part amongst teenagers and suicide. You just want to fast forward time and show them everything will be OK.

Original Poster Banned

''Social media and suicide is a relatively new phenomenon, which influences suicide-related behavior. Suicide is a leading cause of death worldwide. According to the World Health Organization, in the year 2020 approximately 1.53 million people will die from suicide (Gvion & Apter, 2012). There is increasing evidence that this behavior of using social media effects people’s lives changes people's lives, especially in teenagers. Suicide has been identified not only as an individual phenomenon, but it is influenced by social and environmental factors (Gvion & Apter, 2012).''

en.wikipedia.org/wik…ide

It's awful.

MrScotchBonnet

...There is increasing evidence that this behavior of using social media … ...There is increasing evidence that this behavior of using social media effects people’s lives (and) changes people's lives, especially in teenagers...

Target audience reached. Well done the Internet.

another pointless headline grabbing thread so totally untrue someone should be banned for it..

Original Poster Banned

maddogb

another pointless headline grabbing thread so totally untrue someone … another pointless headline grabbing thread so totally untrue someone should be banned for it..

Are you still upset over your pointless post about your friends on Facebook being scammed?

You seem very upset since.

Original Poster Banned

maddogb

another pointless headline grabbing thread so totally untrue someone … another pointless headline grabbing thread so totally untrue someone should be banned for it..

btw, if you could point out how the headline is ''so totally untrue'' and give suggestions on what it could be renamed to that would help me out

She didnt kill herself because of fear of racism, she killed herself because of a deep seated negativity, pessimistic attitude attached to feelings of low self worth.

No one just kills themselves at the drop of a hat no matter what it looks like to a outsider, its just some people are better at wearing fake facades to hide their true feelings and thoughts then others. Frankly she don't look that great in the picture, looks like a fake nervous smile to me.

MrScotchBonnet

btw, if you could point out how the headline is ''so totally untrue'' and … btw, if you could point out how the headline is ''so totally untrue'' and give suggestions on what it could be renamed to that would help me out

well if i must...
"Another pointless death caused by social media"
1. obviously the original cause was the girl herself posting the picture+joke, this did not require "social media" and therefore the cause cannot be "social media" just as a car on a road can be used to run someone over, it is not the roads fault
2.someone who has a normal operating survival instinct does not cure "fear for own safety" with actual self harm

it's so simple even you should get it.

Original Poster Banned

maddogb

well if i must..."Another pointless death caused by social media"1. … well if i must..."Another pointless death caused by social media"1. obviously the original cause was the girl herself posting the picture+joke, this did not require "social media" and therefore the cause cannot be "social media" just as a car on a road can be used to run someone over, it is not the roads fault2.someone who has a normal operating survival instinct does not cure "fear for own safety" with actual self harmit's so simple even you should get it.

If you could stop trolling that would be great. You have already had comments removed.

MrScotchBonnet

If you could stop trolling that would be great. You have already had … If you could stop trolling that would be great. You have already had comments removed.

yeah i did wonder if those choice words describing your intelligence level would stay but imho they were very accurate so justified in posting, as was my last answer to your "trolling" which remains
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Coming up to bonfire night ...2128
    2. word association Game74244893
    3. sweet Sundays codes need to be redeemed by 23.59 on the 19th of October56
    4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769294

See more discussions