Anti-bacterial hand gel vs Covid-19

Posted 11th Mar
So I hear a lot of people saying that hand gel doesn’t kill Covid-19 since it’s a virus but it’s better to have it on you when you are out and about and have no where to wash your hands. So my question is if someone were to have touched an infected door handle for example then afterwards used hand gel would the virus disappear, die, vanish or just stay there?

Edit: I have found a source which confirms that alcohol IS actually effective at killing the coronavirus.

Quote “Alcohol is effective at killing enveloped viruses, including the coronavirus, but is less effective at killing non-enveloped viruses”

Source: google.co.uk/amp…amp
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
40087396-XGvVJ.jpg
nadhaw11/03/2020 17:42

But the problem with washing your hand is that you would have turned the …But the problem with washing your hand is that you would have turned the tap on with contaminated hands and therefore when you turn it off you would just recontaminate your hands

I work in a hospital and we have always been told to use a clean paper towel to turn tap off
25 Comments
Wash with soap & water. And don't touch your face until you do so.
bozo00711/03/2020 17:15

My question is what happens to the virus after you use the hand gel.
Most of it will die therefore reducing spread. Water and soap is the most effective.
apparently the hand gel does not kill virus but it will wash the virus from your hands and that will stop you passing the virus to your face where it will get inside you through your eyes, mouth and nose. this is why we are told that we should not touch our face unnecessarily.

i have a habit of touching my face so i am doomed if i get the virus on my hands.
Hand gel needs to be 60% alcohol for it to be effective against Corona Virus.
It kill if the gel with alcohol over 60 %
Virus gets washed away to wherever the waste wash product goes.
dynamico11/03/2020 17:23

It might reduce the quantity of the virus on your hand slightly but it won't kill it because the gel doesn't kill it
bozo00711/03/2020 17:15

But the problem with washing your hand is that you would have turned the tap on with contaminated hands and therefore when you turn it off you would just recontaminate your hands

But the problem with washing your hand is that you would have turned the …But the problem with washing your hand is that you would have turned the tap on with contaminated hands and therefore when you turn it off you would just recontaminate your hands

Hmmm...... you have a point there ( I think)

I work in a hospital and we have always been told to use a clean paper towel to turn tap off

Clean the tap as well.

If I am not at home, I tends to clean the tap with my soapy hand and water it a bit.
Then use paper towel to dry hand, turn off the tap and open the door.
40087396-XGvVJ.jpg
dynamico11/03/2020 17:23

The alcohol rips the virus' cell membrane/protein apart. However, efficiency depends on how effective that you rubs your fingers and nails. Then the alcohol evaporates into the air.

it is by no means a complete bullet proof method of avoiding catching the virus but it helps as you don't touch the tap with all of your hands and so it would only get onto there if the virus happens to be on the part of your hand that touch the tap.
Scoot5611/03/2020 18:00

I work in a hospital and we have always been told to use a clean paper …I work in a hospital and we have always been told to use a clean paper towel to turn tap off

Iv been doing that in hospitals for years
Just wear gloves when you go out
Virus will linger, using gel will kill off some of the virus but not all.
If you suffer from a long term health condition or elderly best advice is to self isolate
If your an average joe then try and carry on as normal but just be more aware and wash your hands more often
m1keyp1key11/03/2020 19:28

Just wear gloves when you go out

It's not your skin! Touch your face etc with your gloves, same possible outcome

~when you turn it off you would just recontaminate your hands

Wash the tap as well.
compadre11/03/2020 22:24

It's not your skin! Touch your face etc with your gloves, same possible …It's not your skin! Touch your face etc with your gloves, same possible outcome

We were talking about solutions for touching taps. Touching your face is a no no anyway.
.MUFC.11/03/2020 18:04

Clean the tap as well.

Yes I always first wash the tap then my hands so as not to reinfect. Also use tissue to open / close doors when exiting.
Use the back of your hand or fingers where possible, less likely to touch your face with that side.
splender11/03/2020 18:37

The alcohol rips the virus' cell membrane/protein apart. However, …The alcohol rips the virus' cell membrane/protein apart. However, efficiency depends on how effective that you rubs your fingers and nails. Then the alcohol evaporates into the air.

I had some alcohol based hand wash in stock which I started using immediately when the Coronavirus first appeared.
We are in 2 of the "at risk" categories so we are self isolating for as long as it takes.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants