Anti Mould Paint

Posted 6th Dec 2019
Hi all,

Hoping someone could give me some advice. My bedroom has a storage cupboard that fits under a sloping roof (a bit like an eaves storage). I use this storage for a clothes rail and some shelves for clothing. However, since the weather has started to get cold. I have noticed a damp smell, and some mould patches appearing on the wall.

I was hoping I could give it a good clean, put a humidifier on in there for a few hours to dry it out, and then paint it with anti mould paint. Just wondering if this would work? Also if it would work, can anyone recommend the paint to buy? Ideally I want to get it finished this weekend, so would like to buy from a shop.

Any help massively appreciated
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

14 Comments
Obviously this is a condensation problem so ventilation is the only longterm cure. Clean the mold with a bleach solution and then make sure there are plenty of vents to allow air to circulate. Don't ram full of clothes either.
AndyRoyd06/12/2019 23:00

Sounds similar to recent thread at …Sounds similar to recent thread at https://www.hotukdeals.com/discussions/condensation-in-our-built-in-wardrobe-ideas-3330093

Thanks, plenty of ideas on there for me to try this weekend
Spray the mould with HG mould spray( under £3 on ebay ) then buy a dehumidifier
zinsseruk.com/how…ld/
I followed the above and it does work. Done on 2 bathroom ceilings 3 years ago, no mould has appeared since.
+1 for zinsser perma white, really works well
It certainly does
Vc175. You can add to any paint.

39283512-IGe0x.jpg
We live in house in a fairly remote village that’s hundreds of years old, two houses were joined into one at some point and the entire building is on a slope. To cut this short our bathroom is part way underground to the rear of the property, we have similar issues keeping on top of the damp situation given that we have a tiny window in there and minimal ventilation. All the tips in the posts above would be fine for actually removing the mould, the only paint that is any good however is Dulux Mould-Tec. It has a 5 year guarantee (I think) but we get around 18 months to 2 years use out of it before having to purposely decorate again. We’ve been lucky to get a couple of months out of the other ‘anti mould’ paints on the market - we have literally tried them all pretty much.
Edited by: "joeydeacon" 7th Dec 2019
joeydeacon07/12/2019 08:47

We live in house in a fairly remote village that’s hundreds of years old, t …We live in house in a fairly remote village that’s hundreds of years old, two houses were joined into one at some point and the entire building is on a slope. To cut this short our bathroom is part way underground to the rear of the property, we have similar issues keeping on top of the damp situation given that we have a tiny window in there and minimal ventilation. All the tips in the posts above would be fine for actually removing the mould, the only paint that is any good however is Dulux Mould-Tec. It has a 5 year guarantee (I think) but we get around 18 months to 2 years use out of it before having to purposely decorate again. We’ve been lucky to get a couple of months out of the other ‘anti mould’ paints on the market - we have literally tried them all pretty much.

Did my en suite with zinsser 7 years ago and looks like new and no mould at all but previously had a lot of it in winter. Try it next time.
Line the cupboard with insulation board?
Perma-White® mould resistant interior paint has a unique formulation, it contains a biocide that protects the dried coating against fungal degradation. In addition the paint film is designed to resist cracking, peeling and blistering for up to 7 years before first maintenance (matt and satin finishes).
spasguidedogs07/12/2019 16:29

Perma-White® mould resistant interior paint has a unique formulation, it …Perma-White® mould resistant interior paint has a unique formulation, it contains a biocide that protects the dried coating against fungal degradation. In addition the paint film is designed to resist cracking, peeling and blistering for up to 7 years before first maintenance (matt and satin finishes).

Oh no, might have to paint mine again then next year
I always find it's best to stop the source of the damp rather than hide it. It gets a lot more expensive when you ignore problems.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions