Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Anti virus help

Posted 8th Mar
Hi all, I'm after some guidance on a anti-virus for PC's. My kids have now got a computer and I'm wanting to protect it and them from viruses/malware whilst browsing. I haven't had to purchase this before so have no idea what's good or not. Thanks in advance.
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
John_Lewis8Or08/03/2020 18:53

Hi there,I use Malwarebtyes which is free software. Make sure that windows …Hi there,I use Malwarebtyes which is free software. Make sure that windows is kept up to date as Windows 10 already has basic anti virus on it - windows defender. But you must make sure this is updated regularly. Otherwise Avast is another option

in my experience avast is horrible adware
24 Comments
a quick google advises on Bitdefender Antivirus plus.
Personally I have never used antivirus software due to owning a Mac.
But a few articles suggest Bitdefender.
RawMukky08/03/2020 18:48

a quick google advises on Bitdefender Antivirus plus.Personally I have …a quick google advises on Bitdefender Antivirus plus.Personally I have never used antivirus software due to owning a Mac.But a few articles suggest Bitdefender.

Thanks
Hi there,
I use Malwarebtyes which is free software. Make sure that windows is kept up to date as Windows 10 already has basic anti virus on it - windows defender. But you must make sure this is updated regularly. Otherwise Avast is another option
Wouldn't the built in windows anti virus be fine for browsing? I've been using it for a few years after dumping avast and haven't had any issues

Hi there,I use Malwarebtyes which is free software. Make sure that windows …Hi there,I use Malwarebtyes which is free software. Make sure that windows is kept up to date as Windows 10 already has basic anti virus on it - windows defender. But you must make sure this is updated regularly. Otherwise Avast is another option

Thanks John. My only dealing with this was a few years ago when I actually put viruses on a laptop when trying to put a antivirus on it.
DaveG4608/03/2020 18:54

Wouldn't the built in windows anti virus be fine for browsing? I've been …Wouldn't the built in windows anti virus be fine for browsing? I've been using it for a few years after dumping avast and haven't had any issues

Hi. How do I check that? When the pc is on it has a pop up saying antivirus has ran out

in my experience avast is horrible adware
B00mer1508/03/2020 18:57

Hi. How do I check that? When the pc is on it has a pop up saying …Hi. How do I check that? When the pc is on it has a pop up saying antivirus has ran out

Under windows security in windows 10 I think
Create user accounts for each child and set it not to be able to install anything while they are in their own accounts. It's easy enough to do. You can then go look at browser history ect for each child.
Edited by: "wayners" 8th Mar
B00mer1508/03/2020 18:57

Hi. How do I check that? When the pc is on it has a pop up saying …Hi. How do I check that? When the pc is on it has a pop up saying antivirus has ran out

Whatever popup you have may actually be malware rather than a genuine 3rd-party AV requiring subscription. Regardless, the AV/AMW product integral to recent versions of W10 is more than decent, especially when combined with decent browser adblocker such as the freebie uBlock Origin (two words).
Suggestion:
uninstall whatever rubbish is suggesting has run out.
Re-activate standard W10 "Virus and threat protection" (search << Windows Security >> in W10 in Start Menu, then left pane "Virus and threat protection")
Install uBlock Origin to all browsers (repeat: all browsers).
Optional but probably prudent: consider user account control as suggested by wayners above this post.
I would second what wayners has said - separate accounts for each kid with standard user accounts set yourself as administrator and password protect the account.

You may also want to look into parental controls which is under Family Options in Windows 10.

As stated Windows built in anti virus is much better than previous versions but maybe I’m just old and have hang ups over how it used to be that I still don’t have full trust in it so I would suggest Avira Free from Avira.com and Malwarebytes free from malwarebytes.com ensuring you disable the free premium trial and any real time protection in malwarebytes only (idea here is to use malwarebytes as an on demand scanner to just run a check up every few weeks/month with avira serving as your main protection)

Also install chrome or Firefox then install an adblocker such as ublock origin through the extensions/add one menu within the browser.

You may also want to remove any pre installed junk that may have came with the PC (software trials etc)

Forgot to mention I don’t know if you use any cloud storage to set it up on the PC and if not I would recommend it either Microsoft One Drive or Google backup and sync using 1 account per person so that they can back up files such as photos and documents/homework so if anything were to happen it’s not lost.
Edited by: "smush" 8th Mar
In the current climate, I say buy them all.
Have you looked to see if your broadband provider provides an anti virus? Mine does (BT).
Edited by: "richp" 8th Mar
+1 for Windows Defender - there's no need for anything more for the great majority of people.
Bought McAfee 2020 with 5 years protection for 6 devices off of Ebay for the grand old sum of £2.50.
I have always used Avast free anti virus (when installing make sure to do the custom installation and only tick the first 4 options - shields from what I recall)
Use the in built defender, if not bit defender is good and combining with malwarebytes is good option...free and carry out a manual scan now and again. Used to like Avast but data protection issues so changed.
Thanks everyone for the advice and assistance. Much appreciated
checkout your bb provider many offer free antivirus/firewall software, i know bt and plusnet do...
Try toilet paper, seems to be the preferred solution for any virus
Sophos is good (and free) you can add the 2 kids PCs to your account and it will notify you when it picks anything up.

home.sophos.com/

there is a paid version for privacy and ransomware protection but i don't use them for the kids machines.

FYI you can add 3 machines per e-mail account.
I use Malwarebytes premium alongside McAfee Internet security, nothing has ever got past them. I've used most of the security packages over the years (Norton, Kaspersky, AVG, ect) out of them all i prefer McAfee. Plus you can pick up a licence from eBay for a few £.
RawMukky08/03/2020 18:48

a quick google advises on Bitdefender Antivirus plus.Personally I have …a quick google advises on Bitdefender Antivirus plus.Personally I have never used antivirus software due to owning a Mac.But a few articles suggest Bitdefender.

You really should, fileless malware is getting more popular and Mac's are vulnerable to both file and fileless malware
longbowassassin09/03/2020 09:52

checkout your bb provider many offer free antivirus/firewall software, i …checkout your bb provider many offer free antivirus/firewall software, i know bt and plusnet do...

If you've got either Virgin broadband or a Virgin Mobile, you can download F-Secure SAFE to keep you and your family safe online anywhere, whatever device you are using.

This multi-award winning software protects up to 5 of your devices whether it is a tablet, mobile, PC or Mac. What's more, it does so against all of the latest threats, automatically.

Took the above from virginmedia webpage.

Also, if you're with Barclays Bank I think they still give Kaspersky AV.

Free AV's are now not worth the hassle, but if needs must opt for Avira (but customise so as not to use anything other than it's av) - bitdefender free is better but the hassle it gives isn't worth it,

As others have said use firefox, duck duck go and ublock origin - and maybe also https everywhere. All the best.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants