Groups

Anti Virus help

Anyone know of a free anti virus? I know you can do 30 day trials but id like to keep AVG aaswell at same time.
    Avg says i have a trojan horse in my system and AVG keep sending me warning every 30 seconds so im constantly clicking off it.

Any help appreciated.

28 Comments

Avast?
    or if you are a Barclays customer, you can get the Kaspersky one for nowt.

can u not run a scan?

try downloading malwarebytes also

Original Poster

numptyj;8872879

can u not run a scan?try downloading malwarebytes also

I have run it a few times now and it just sends them to the vault and is still coming up.
    x

Just use the ]free version of AVG instead of the 30 day trial version.

Original Poster

DVS_Dee;8872889

Just use the ]free version of AVG instead of the 30 day trial version.

#

Thats what i am using.
    It also wont let me go on some site- directs me to a totally different page.

id like to keep AVG aaswell at same time

if ur talking about AVG free and wanting something in additon to it to make it better than you can try threatfire.com/ it is free and can be used in addition to another anti virus, however i have never tried it so i would look into it first

supermod

I uninstalled AVG free after it started freezing and it had dropped in the rankings against AVAST & AVIRA free editions (was about 60% compared to 90% if I remember a few months ago ?) and I'd used it for a few years and was a big fan. Installed AVAST free edition instead and found it a much quicker start up, and very pleased with it

(NB I also have a firewall and various spyware progs installed in addition to anti virus)

Banned

have you run the malwarebytes that numpty suggested? tis good, i also dont use avg anymore i use MSE and so far find it good, apart from it doesnt always run the scans when its set to, you wuld need to remove avg to use MSE though

Original Poster

localboy;8872893

take AVG off and use thisits free and really … take AVG off and use thisits free and really goodhttp://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

Wicked stuff, have some rep. :thumbsup:

Original Poster

sassie;8873016

have you run the malwarebytes that numpty suggested? tis good, i also … have you run the malwarebytes that numpty suggested? tis good, i also dont use avg anymore i use MSE and so far find it good, apart from it doesnt always run the scans when its set to, you wuld need to remove avg to use MSE though

I did but it took me to a payment page.

Banned

do the free scan at [url]www.antivirus.com[/url]

Original Poster

sigma;8872994

I uninstalled AVG free after it started freezing and it had dropped in … I uninstalled AVG free after it started freezing and it had dropped in the rankings against AVAST & AVIRA free editions (was about 60% compared to 90% if I remember a few months ago ?) and I'd used it for a few years and was a big fan. Installed AVAST free edition instead and found it a much quicker start up, and very pleased with it :)(NB I also have a firewall and various spyware progs installed in addition to anti virus)

I may try this if the Microsoft one doesnt do the job.
    Thanks Sigma. :-D

Banned

emmalampkin;8873026

I did but it took me to a payment page.

it is free, filehippo.com/dow…re/

Original Poster

ok well i have installed the Microsoft but AVG is coming up with the threat still there so dont think its done the job.
    Now downloading the link Sassie gave me x

Banned

emmalampkin;8873092

ok well i have installed the Microsoft but AVG is coming up with the … ok well i have installed the Microsoft but AVG is coming up with the threat still there so dont think its done the job.Now downloading the link Sassie gave me x

you mean the microsoft essentials? if so you need to remove avg from your computer

Original Poster

Ah okies i didnt think that woud matter.
    Am removing avg now, Cheers Sass. x

Banned

yes remove avg, run the update in mse and run a full scan, but run malware 1st on a full scan, make sure you update after installing before running the scan

i recently ditched AVG too, using Panda Cloud now. seems ok. Also Malwarebytes is very handy to have too. Best run in safe mode though if you having trouble removing something.
    i always wondered if there was a safe way to test your av programs.

You need to get it sorted sounds like to me none of these will remove it. I had the same Juan virus or something i would just keep on coming back i used malwarebytes, superantispyware avest etc none of them worked for me.

supermod

emmalampkin, if after using the uninstaller option for AVG you are still getting conflict error messages with the new software installation then run the uninstaller tool to make sure everything has been removed :

avg.com/gb-…ols

and also try running ]CCleaner (also Free) at the end of the uninstall as there may still be bits left over in the registry etc.

sigma;8872994

I uninstalled AVG free after it started freezing and it had dropped in … I uninstalled AVG free after it started freezing and it had dropped in the rankings against AVAST & AVIRA free editions (was about 60% compared to 90% if I remember a few months ago ?) and I'd used it for a few years and was a big fan. Installed AVAST free edition instead and found it a much quicker start up, and very pleased with it :)(NB I also have a firewall and various spyware progs installed in addition to anti virus)

[COLOR="Purple"]Hi Sigma,
    I'm using avira with sunbelt firewall and superantispyware , but it's very slow to start up, which firewall and spyware are you using with avast?
    Many thanks[/COLOR]

this may be one of those daft suggestions but would a system restore help?:whistling:

supermod

chrysha;8874010

[COLOR="Purple"]Hi Sigma,I'm using avira with sunbelt firewall and … [COLOR="Purple"]Hi Sigma,I'm using avira with sunbelt firewall and superantispyware , but it's very slow to start up, which firewall and spyware are you using with avast?Many thanks[/COLOR]

Soz, been offline :). I use Zonealarm firewall and the various spyware programs I have are Ad-aware, Malwarebytes, spybot and spywareblaster. Spybot and adaware have resident shields. Also have various add-ons in firefox to help protect when browsing such as no script, adblock plus, OptimizeGoogle, better privacy etc. I looked at Avira when I changed virus checkers but it apparently detects viruses after download while avast stops them being downloaded and had more false positives, but both avast & avira ranked highly in the free programs.

I only have winXP on my main PC and since changing to avast the PC boots up significantly quicker than it did with AVG :thumbsup:

sigma;8875336

Soz, been offline :). I use Zonealarm firewall and the various spyware … Soz, been offline :). I use Zonealarm firewall and the various spyware programs I have are Ad-aware, Malwarebytes, spybot and spywareblaster. Spybot and adaware have resident shields. Also have various add-ons in firefox to help protect when browsing such as no script, adblock plus, OptimizeGoogle, better privacy etc. I looked at Avira when I changed virus checkers but it apparently detects viruses after download while avast stops them being downloaded and had more false positives, but both avast & avira ranked highly in the free programs.I only have winXP on my main PC and since changing to avast the PC boots up significantly quicker than it did with AVG :thumbsup:

[COLOR="Purple"]Thanks Sigma :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:[/COLOR]

Banned

ditch AVG - it is useless and wqill happily let viruses through and not tell you. Mate just put MSET on after years of AVG and he had 5 viruses!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?1219
      2. How dangerous is Donald trump?28128
      3. What are you loving on the BBC at the moment?63218
      4. Can't delete friends on Xbox 360 or accept any friend requests, anyone know…33

See more discussions