Antifreeze

Posted 18th May
Hi
I’m looking to change the anti freeze/coolant in my car, but wanted to know if I can use any or do I have to use manufacturer recommended ( which costs a lot more)
Ps I have a 2011 focus 1.6 tdci
Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
rimalpatel00719/05/2020 08:57

Colour is not an issue. Once the tank is empty you just refill. Colour is …Colour is not an issue. Once the tank is empty you just refill. Colour is probably depending on the fragrance you pick..

Please don't tell people that, because colour is an issue. It can very easy cause radiator damage and cooling system damage. If the tank is completely empty you will get away with it but it should never be empty. Again please don't tell people to do something that could see them with a massive repair bill.
Edited by: "MonkeyMan90" 19th May
14 Comments
You can use any just make sure you keep the same colour. If yours is pink male sure you buy a pink anti freeze. Etc.
I have been using any for the last 10years.
Colour not been any issue.
Ford generally uses red carparts for less pre mixed isn’t a bad price.

Generally blue green has a different chemical make up and can sludge up if mixed with the pink/red I believe
Edited by: "7ommy.78" 19th May
Silly question, where do I find out what colour I need ?
s_dusara19/05/2020 08:53

Colour is not an issue. Once the tank is empty you just refill. Colour is probably depending on the fragrance you pick..
Thanks @rimalpatel007
Is there any particular brand recommended?
s_dusara19/05/2020 09:03

Thanks @rimalpatel007 Is there any particular brand recommended?

TripleQX or any that meets your car spec.
Halfords they have an online checker.
s_dusara19/05/2020 08:53

You should be able to see it in the expansion tank
40797906-kSYWS.jpgShould be fairly obvious in the engine bay
The color is an indicator but it may not follow today's standards if the car is older and manufactured outside Europe (for example in East-Asia).

If we search a little, we find that In Europe,
1)Green/Yellow color coolant=Inorganic Acid Technology (IAT)
Contains corrosion inhibitors, including silicates and phosphates.
Pretty short life span (2-3 years/30kmiles)
Used for systems having yellow metals like brass and copper.

2) Orange/Red= OAT for Organic Acid (or additive) Technology
Contains no silicates or phosphates, instead the corrosion inhibitors consist mostly in carbocylates which are organic based compounds that target specific corrosion spots vs coating the entire system with a protective layer, like silicate and phosphate coolant does.
Longer lifespan (5 years/>100kmiles)
Should not use OAT style coolant in older vehicles, as it will eat away the yellow metals and solder used in radiators, pumps, and bearings.

Conclusion: "you can’t mix the two technologies (IAT and OAT) + but there is ONE coolant which is pretty compatible with both Hybrid Organic Acid Technology (HOAT) coolant like G-05 which is meant to have the highest compatibility between cooling systems. HOAT coolants are usually phosphate free but still contains a low amount of silicates. "

Furthermore: "Almost all coolant coming in Asian based cooling systems is silicate free to protect seals. In short, European, Japanese, and Korean coolants will be constructed differently even if they are the same color."

As your car is not very old, probably it uses G30 coolant (OAT, No Silicates, Ethylene glycol based) concentration >35%, <65% with distilled water. It has a violet color. One type is the G30 from Comma (concentrated or ready to use):
commaoil.com/pas…R5L
Thanks @TobyZ that’s really helpful

Colour is not an issue. Once the tank is empty you just refill. Colour is …Colour is not an issue. Once the tank is empty you just refill. Colour is probably depending on the fragrance you pick..

Please don't tell people that, because colour is an issue. It can very easy cause radiator damage and cooling system damage. If the tank is completely empty you will get away with it but it should never be empty. Again please don't tell people to do something that could see them with a massive repair bill.
Edited by: "MonkeyMan90" 19th May
I’m going to empty the old antifreeze, flush with cold water and add a new pink antifreeze in

Surely that’s for screen wash not antifreeze .
s_dusara19/05/2020 14:18

I’m going to empty the old antifreeze, flush with cold water and add a new …I’m going to empty the old antifreeze, flush with cold water and add a new pink antifreeze in

Ideal some deionized water (instead of tap water) to clean the system; drain the water in the engine, open the heater and start the engine. Let it run for 2-3 minutes. Check water temperature with a simple OBD and Torque. Add new water, run the engine for a while, heater off to open the thermostat, heater on once it is open; repeat the process (1-2-3 times).
In case of using concentrated coolant mix it with some distilled water (a little more expensive than the deionized); add coolant in the engine and in the expansion tank, start the engine, check the levels; heater off, heater on, keep an eye on the water temperature for some days via OBD.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions