Groups

antifreeze in screenwash bottle

Hi there. Can anyone help I had a blonde moment and I have a question.
    I ran out of screenwash and the only thing I had to put in the car was antifreeze. So i added it to the bottle and filled it up with water. Will this work or will it be harmful to the paintwork or other parts of the car (pipes). It didnt really come throught that well or clean the windscreen on my long journey.

thanks peoples..

33 Comments

Yes it is potentially harmfull to winscreen seals and potentially paintwork but hey !

You could have used a spirit (meths or surgical) and a dash of washing up liquid.

will seriously damage paintwork plus plastics its in contact with.5 litre of screenwash for 3quid at Halfords ready mixed

There are 3 main types of antifreeze that are Methanol, Ethylene glycol, Propylene glycol based. All are acidic alcohol type liquids. It shouldn't do too much harm but might not do you window seals too much good. I would continue to water down the solution with a proper windscreen wash

anti freeze into ur windscreen wash :w00t:

omg!!!!!!!

Original Poster

yeah well it was the only thing i had before a three hour drive on these roads at the moment. i have watered it down alot and when i got home tried to flush it through a bit.. but hey outside tap was frozen so couldnt use that.. put a few washing up bowls of water in the bottle to flush it through a bit to help dilute.. am i safe???

scubapaula;7437642

yeah well it was the only thing i had before a three hour drive on these … yeah well it was the only thing i had before a three hour drive on these roads at the moment. i have watered it down alot and when i got home tried to flush it through a bit.. but hey outside tap was frozen so couldnt use that.. put a few washing up bowls of water in the bottle to flush it through a bit to help dilute.. am i safe???

Should be ok, whats the worst that can happen, you'll be driving along and your windscreen seals fail and it flys off.

Best buy a decent pair of snow goggles :w00t:

scubapaula;7437642

yeah well it was the only thing i had before a three hour drive on these … yeah well it was the only thing i had before a three hour drive on these roads at the moment. i have watered it down alot and when i got home tried to flush it through a bit.. but hey outside tap was frozen so couldnt use that.. put a few washing up bowls of water in the bottle to flush it through a bit to help dilute.. am i safe???

a few washing up bowls!!!! how bigs your washer bottle!!!! lol heavily diluted anti-freeze will be ok, as said just keep topping the resovior with screenwash

Original Poster

well i was trying to flush it through so i did add aload of water to it.. ill have a look in daylight tom..
    yeah thanks i am sure that i wont want the windscreen flying off. . haha..
    fingers crossed ey. the thing is you cant flush it out that much it wont budge..

I'm guessing you used all the anti-freeze for the screenwash, so just a pre-warning, watered down oil or brake fluid is not a suitable subsistute for anti-freeze :).

Original Poster

i uesed a bit of antifreeze and diluted it in the bottle to help..
    noticed it didnt actually mix that well hence my HELP... but once home i did add a load of water to it to try and flush it through out the bottle.. but not very successfully..
    any other ideas?
    and no i havent got a tube to drain it out either.

crazy thing to do, everyone knows brake fluid works much better.

Original Poster

mmm yes i know that now.. but still cant get the stuff out..
    dilute and dilute i take it..

scubapaula;7438307

mmm yes i know that now.. but still cant get the stuff out.. dilute and … mmm yes i know that now.. but still cant get the stuff out.. dilute and dilute i take it..

Open your bonnet and have someone clean the screen until the bottle is empty and rinse the car off with water. Should be ok then.

The reason I say open the bonnet is that the screen will take a direct jet and not the roof.

use a ice scraper ya lazy sod:roll: just make sure you have some gloves on..;-)

:santa:Can you use screenwash as antifreeze :whistling::w00t::-D

I've used vodka as screen wash, driving back from Germany in some really cold weather. Don't worry it was really cheap NAAFI stuff and I had plenty.

Original Poster

but if you sit in the car and wash it all till its empty wont that potentially knaker it?

scubapaula;7438717

but if you sit in the car and wash it all till its empty wont that … but if you sit in the car and wash it all till its empty wont that potentially knaker it?

No, lift up the blades. Once empty fill it with water and proper screenwash and you're done.

What will ruin your car is prolonged use of anti freeze on the screen as it will help to rot the window seal over time and could affect your paintwork.

But a one off and washed away won't harm it at all.

Original Poster

well i might have to sit in it tom and give it a good blash and a blow.. haha..
    I would drain it out but dont have anything to do that either.
    Just my luck to have it all frozen tom so i cant sort it out..

thanks everyone for helping. fingers crossed it doesnt harm my beloved car.

You could always visit a car wash, (when they're open and unfrozen) and empty it just as it's being washed.

If you can see the pump on the washer bottle, remove it (they normally just pull out) and the antifreeze will drain out.

http://us1.webpublications.com.au/static/images/articles/i1112/111224_3lo.jpg

Original Poster

no i cant with my one. I can hardly see it and cant get to it at all. Its a honda crv..

scubapaula;7439691

no i cant with my one. I can hardly see it and cant get to it at all. Its … no i cant with my one. I can hardly see it and cant get to it at all. Its a honda crv..

In that case keep the anti freeze, it's worth more.

I ran out of screenwash and used a wee bit of fairy liquid, thinking it cleans my glassware ok. It's useless for the windscreen.

You had better order some new wiper blades as well, the anti freeze is almost certain to ruin them.

Best way to get rid of the AF is to pull off the tube from the underside of your bonnet, then run the screen washer until it is empty.

Otherwise it will eat in to your paint work etc.

Inactive;7441371

Otherwise it will eat in to your paint work etc.

Prolonged use yes, one shot, no. Wipers will be fine as well. It's not acid you know.

The OP is going to clear it so there's no need for panic.

tessb;7440740

I ran out of screenwash and used wee, thinking it cleans my glassware ok. … I ran out of screenwash and used wee, thinking it cleans my glassware ok. It's useless for the windscreen.

:w00t::-D

Banned

This thread is a joke right? No one is really THAT stupid are they?

davelfc;7438335

Open your bonnet and have someone clean the screen until the bottle is … Open your bonnet and have someone clean the screen until the bottle is empty and rinse the car off with water. Should be ok then. The reason I say open the bonnet is that the screen will take a direct jet and not the roof.

Or remove the pipe under the bonnet even better direct from the washer bottle simple :thumbsup:

The deeper thinker :whistling:

jtx;7439547

If you can see the pump on the washer bottle, remove it (they normally … If you can see the pump on the washer bottle, remove it (they normally just pull out) and the antifreeze will drain out.

is this like they had in the Flintstones :w00t:

MrGrumpyman;7442987

:w00t::-D

:thumbsup::-D:-D

best story about this kinda thing was a guy ran low on brake fluid soo he topped it up with . . . Fairy Liquid!!!

Banned

vibeone;7443009

This thread is a joke right? No one is really THAT stupid are they?

the rabbits water was freezing, so the missus put some anti-freeze in it. It worked a treat, though Bugsy has got lazy and is now in a deep sleep.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. What do you feel like whinging about today?1917259
      2. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846169
      3. Find out how good your GP surgery is11
      4. Microsoft Gamescom - Possibly more free games / Project Scorpio710

See more discussions