Groups

Antivirus?

Realistically, is Windows 10 built in software enough? I do online banking a fair bit so was concerned whether I should keep using the Avast Internet Security?

I want as less software on my PC as possible. I don't download anything

Thanks.

10 Comments

If you stay away from dodgy sites and are careful what you download then built in security is fine, imo.
    Edited by: ".MUFC." 14th Oct 2016

I'd stick with what you got. Microsoft's built in AV isn't up with the leaders as such. Some banks offer free AV suites or otherwise they do a substantial discount on them.

shauneco

If you stay away from dodgy sites and are careful what you download then … If you stay away from dodgy sites and are careful what you download then built in security is fine, imo.

​this, really. if you know what you're doing the risk is pretty low, and although not perfect, the security essentials software should be capable enough for most users

MitchellT

https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/

Great link,thanks.
    I will compare withe the Which magazine tests.

hsbc and barclays do free full version internet security for online customer.

Most ISPs and banks offer it free. Try them first.

Otherwise I avoid free AV as generally they fail to protect fully.

You can buy most via topcashback.co.uk or quidco direct from Norton, McAfee, Kaspersky etc.

I disagree.

avast and avg free are perfectly respectable. I have used avast for years and it works well, and is still well regarded.

I have used avg free boot up USB software to get colleagues out of serious virus's.

if online banking, I would not risk having no av.

Don't open attachments from unknown sources. Who would? Don't download or install programs unless you are confident they are likely to be ok and official software. Use one of the free anti virus programs or Microsoft own effort and you will be fine.

MitchellT

https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/

Thanks.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Multi fuel stove deals11
      2. Memory foam mattress topper56
      3. Are the free antivirus any good?78
      4. LG G4 Replacement44

See more discussions