Groups

antivirus software

hi everyone my nortons free trial about to run out on my daughters laptop
    was wondering if anyone good recommend a good free substitute
    with a link if thats allowed
    thanks very much for any help recieved

14 Comments

If it's just antivirus you're after Microsoft Security Essentials or Avira Antivirus both have good reports (search for reviews) and they're both free.

I've been using MSE on XP for some time and it runs fine and updates for free. It has had good results from testing sites. I have a friend who runs Avira with similar results.

i'd recommend Avast. its quite lite & free

I run the Microsoft Security Essientails on my Sons, and my Girlfriends Daughters laptops and all seems ok so far

Security is more than just anti virus.

If your Norton is a full security suite then if you replace it with JUST anti virus you are leaving yourself wide open to other attacks.

AVG. brilliant. never had a problem

I use Microsoft Security Essentials for anti virus these days too.

AVG for me too. I''ve had the free and the paid one and it's been brilliant. My Daughter has the free one on her netbook and I have the paid for version on my laptop and they are fine x

Banned

Anything but AVG. resource hog and extremely unreliable now. Those who says it works great really need to get a scan done on their PC fast by a better scanner to see what AVG has missed!

I would go for AVIRA.

Original Poster

confused now it dont take much
    its a new laptop windows 7
    so whats the best allround package to cover all aspects of security
    thankss guys should have made my request more clearly
    i have virgin broadband is theirs any good
    think its called pc gaurd

csiman;7725882

Anything but AVG. resource hog and extremely unreliable now. Those who … Anything but AVG. resource hog and extremely unreliable now. Those who says it works great really need to get a scan done on their PC fast by a better scanner to see what AVG has missed!I would go for AVIRA.

+1

I had same problem with AVG so went and bought kaspersky and found quite a few viruses AVG had missed, Never had any problems with Kaspersky and would recommend it but its not Free.

csiman;7725882

Anything but AVG. resource hog and extremely unreliable now. Those who … Anything but AVG. resource hog and extremely unreliable now. Those who says it works great really need to get a scan done on their PC fast by a better scanner to see what AVG has missed!I would go for AVIRA.

Hiya,
    Would you say Avira an adequate replacement for AVG then (free version)?
    Thanks.

norton, kaspersky or eset.

Avira if you really cant afford or refuse to pay for software out of some misguided principles that free ones are just as good.

Original Poster

Thanks guys
    gonna bite the bullet and pay for it
    need it for 2 laptops ones vista the other windows 7
    any deals out there for nortons
    thanks again gor all your help
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Microsoft Gamescom - Possibly more free games / Project Scorpio711
      2. Find out how good your GP surgery is33
      3. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…6541246
      4. What do you feel like whinging about today?1917259

See more discussions