Any 1440p or with Gsync? wait for Coffee Lake?

Found 26th Jul 2017
Thinking it is time to go for a 1440p monitor, lots of choices but is G-Sync worth it? The monitors such as the Asus ROG are expensive and although great reviews is G-Sync worth the extra price and does it really make that much difference? I never notice the screen tearing people talk about in the reviews using my 1080p (HP2310i). Is it worth paying hundreds more for an ASUS/DELL etc G-Sync?

My trusted and loved I5 2500K (overclocked to 4.5GHZ) is showing its age and needs to be updated, the question is as the need to upgrade is only for gaming and nothing out for a few months, is it worth waiting for Coffee Lake, due out towards the end of the year, Intel claims a 30% boost over Kaby Lake (which wasn't that much improved over the Skylake using their TIC-TOC).
Community Updates
14 Comments
amazon.co.uk/Del…78A

Is the one to get, I've had them all, prefer this one the most.

As for CPU? I upgraded from a 2500K to a 7700K, was worth it, but I'd recommend 99.9% of others to go for Ryzen 1600/1600X.
My head is spinning, Ryzen 1600x is better than a I5 7600k but a lot cheaper. The Overclocking is lower in a Ryzen but it has more cores?

The monitors above are about £499 out of my price range, sweet Jesus why so expensive?
Graham1979

My head is spinning, Ryzen 1600x is better than a I5 7600k but a lot … My head is spinning, Ryzen 1600x is better than a I5 7600k but a lot cheaper. The Overclocking is lower in a Ryzen but it has more cores?The monitors above are about £499 out of my price range, sweet Jesus why so expensive?

Intel created a monopoly, they charged what they wanted.

Over-all the 1600X is a better CPU than the 7600K.
guru3d.com/art…tml

I'm posting replies to my own question, that's how impressed I am with Ryzen
Graham1979

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_ryzen_5_1500x_and_1600x_review,27.htmlI'm posting replies to my own question, that's how impressed I am with Ryzen

You will get a few (uneducated) people saying the i5 is still good, and worth the money (it isn't).

Intel are a dirty company, too.
Need a motherboard and cooler. Need to be able to overclock and there are three types of motherboard one wont overclock but the other two will. Cooler needs to be something decent, cool CPUs makes Graham a happy boy.
Graham1979

Need a motherboard and cooler. Need to be able to overclock and there are … Need a motherboard and cooler. Need to be able to overclock and there are three types of motherboard one wont overclock but the other two will. Cooler needs to be something decent, cool CPUs makes Graham a happy boy.

My mate just bought a Ryzen 1600X, 3466mhz ram trident z rgb, b350 msi carbon board.

He used the 212 evo turbo because it came with an am4 bracket, but the Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi does too

Ram speed is important for Ryzen. has his CPU at 4ghz too.
Edited by: "ritchiedrama" 26th Jul 2017
lol i didnt even know intel's next architecture was named 'coffee lake' - who came up with that
From your original post, you don't mention what GFX card you have, only your CPU. Bear in mind that G-Sync only works with NVidia GFX Cards (GTX 690 onwards). If you have anything else, then don't even consider it.

I have the Dell S22716DG G-Sync monitor (cost circa £500) and it's eliminated screen tearing in the majority of games although some still cause problems (Mafia 3 for example), so it's worth bearing in mind that not all games give the results that you might expect.

If you are interested in minimising screen tearing, it might be worth looking at Freesync monitors - much lower in price and does not use proprietary technology.

This might help /link
With the announcement that the Xbox One X is supporting Freesync it seems less likely than ever that G-sync will be supported by anyone other than nVidia. Unless you're willing to stick with nVidia cards through thick and thin then I wouldn't be buying a G-sync screen at this point.
crg523 h, 41 m ago

From your original post, you don't mention what GFX card you have, only …From your original post, you don't mention what GFX card you have, only your CPU. Bear in mind that G-Sync only works with NVidia GFX Cards (GTX 690 onwards). If you have anything else, then don't even consider it.I have the Dell S22716DG G-Sync monitor (cost circa £500) and it's eliminated screen tearing in the majority of games although some still cause problems (Mafia 3 for example), so it's worth bearing in mind that not all games give the results that you might expect.If you are interested in minimising screen tearing, it might be worth looking at Freesync monitors - much lower in price and does not use proprietary technology.This might help /link

Thanks dude, I have an NVdia 1060 so even then would have to turn down settings at 1440p playing BF1 etc from ultra.

Lots of things to think about, I use my PC a lot for work and games but no video coding etc.
EndlessWaves

With the announcement that the Xbox One X is supporting Freesync it seems … With the announcement that the Xbox One X is supporting Freesync it seems less likely than ever that G-sync will be supported by anyone other than nVidia. Unless you're willing to stick with nVidia cards through thick and thin then I wouldn't be buying a G-sync screen at this point.

It's unlikely AMD will ever release a high-end card again, though. Seems to me that if you're prepared to shell out for a luxury experience, nVidia is the only way to go.
I feel like screen tearing doesnt seem to be much of a deal anymore, the last time I suffered with it was with my 6850.

I have gsync and honestly dont notice it much, its a £100 coat with little to no noticeable improvement in my experiences.

I might see I disable it now I will notice a difference.

-I wouldnt ever use vsync-
minicale28th Jul

I feel like screen tearing doesnt seem to be much of a deal anymore, the …I feel like screen tearing doesnt seem to be much of a deal anymore, the last time I suffered with it was with my 6850.I have gsync and honestly dont notice it much, its a £100 coat with little to no noticeable improvement in my experiences.I might see I disable it now I will notice a difference.-I wouldnt ever use vsync-

Dude try disabling and post back.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants