Any academics proficient in Harvard Referencing & any people experienced in mindmaps?

Posted 7th Dec 2019
I would love some help please.

I have returned to higher education after a 15 year break and have an assessment due next week. We are encouraged to get people to look at the work but my brother and aunt have said they're busy and thus I am hoping someone might be able to have a look and help please?

It's Open University, B207 (Business Opportunities) and I am new to Harvard referencing and also mindmaps of which I am marked on so some constructive advice would be appreciated if anyone has time.

My father looked at it but was frustrated that I worked to the marking criteria & module syllabus rather than the answers he considered right!

Thank you in advance.
Community Updates
Ask
10 Comments
Perhaps you would prefer not to share answers with others, but are there not dedicated online forums or groups for students following the same syllabus?

Dads are always right.
Even when they're not.
No, wait, that's Mums... or is it wives?
Regrets? I've had a few. Wives not as many.
Carry on.
fanpages07/12/2019 18:41

Perhaps you would prefer not to share answers with others, but are there …Perhaps you would prefer not to share answers with others, but are there not dedicated online forums or groups for students following the same syllabus?Dads are always right.Even when they're not.No, wait, that's Mums... or is it wives?Regrets? I've had a few. Wives not as many.Carry on.

Good idea, I'm happy to send the piece to people - it's only 1000 words so not an epic one - and hadn't thought of alternative forums. I just thought there are quite a few people around here that might be happy to advise.

I'm disappointed in my brother as I sent it to him at the beginning of the week, and my Dad was sweet and his comments relevant to the business world but would leave me lacking with regards to the marking criteria. Also he's as useful for the Harvard referencing as a wet fart, but he's the first to admit this.
deleted1471098
Try studiosity. They will review it from a format perspective, they will not comment on content/academic quality but will help you with structure and referencing advice. It’s real academics behind the service and a lot of universities offer some kind of free support to students via studiosity.

studiosity.com
Edited by: "deleted1471098" 7th Dec 2019
it’s marks you are chasing. Not being right. Frustrating but true. Use the marking schema.

youtube has videos on both. If you are writing in MSWord, you can set it up automatically. Takes a while to sort but it’s child’s play after that. Use the help function and again, there are YouTube videos. Or at least there were when I did my masters manybyears ago.
deleted147109807/12/2019 18:47

Try studiosity. They will review it from a format perspective, they will …Try studiosity. They will review it from a format perspective, they will not comment on content/academic quality but will help you with structure and referencing advice. It’s real academics behind the service and a lot of universities offer some kind of free support to students via studiosity.https://www.studiosity.com

Sounds great but upon trying to sign up it said that The Open University isn't supported

ccnp07/12/2019 19:22

it’s marks you are chasing. Not being right. Frustrating but true. Use t …it’s marks you are chasing. Not being right. Frustrating but true. Use the marking schema.youtube has videos on both. If you are writing in MSWord, you can set it up automatically. Takes a while to sort but it’s child’s play after that. Use the help function and again, there are YouTube videos. Or at least there were when I did my masters manybyears ago.

Yes, I don't like being manipulated or manipulative with mark chasing but needs must. I need to leave my ego at the door!

I've tried and done my referencing with MSWord citations but think I'm in a pickle as they're mainly secondary sources and I can't see how it allows for that.

Thanks everyone for advice and help. You're being fab.
Edited by: "sicklysweet" 7th Dec 2019
Get one of the free referencing programs and select Havard as the output style. Any should have it available.

Personally, I use Endnote.

To give you some advice, getting a good reference manager from the start is a key step if you don't wanna crash.
Buckyball07/12/2019 19:50

Get one of the free referencing programs and select Havard as the output …Get one of the free referencing programs and select Havard as the output style. Any should have it available. Personally, I use Endnote. To give you some advice, getting a good reference manager from the start is a key step if you don't wanna crash.

Thanks, I will research it. I don't think MS word one suits me due to the amount of secondary referencing.

I only remember having exams when I was at uni 15 years ago so I'm totally new to referencing, let alone Harvard style, which is the downside of converting my old uni points and jumping into year 2 with Open University so I feel like I'm on catch up.
I’m the same as you, all through my undergrad and masters I used the MS Word referencing tool for my dissertations. Now that I am writing my PhD thesis I needed to use something more reliable. So I am using Mendeley for my Harvard referencing. It’s super easy to use (even for novices like me), and it does it all for you. You do still need to keep an eye on it to make sure it is citing the correct year etc. but 95% of the time, it is fine. You can use Google or PM me if you need help with it. But I’m sure you will be fine.
Bump in case someone is willing to have a look for me (please!!).
I used http://www.citethisforme.com. It allows you to enter websites/books and generates an automatic reference list based on the type of referencing system you pick. Sheffield University also produce a good guide - librarydevelopment.group.shef.ac.uk/ref…tml
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions