Groups

Any advice appreciated (safari holiday)

Ok lovely people....I've decided that this year I'm going to face some fears and start ticking things off the 'bucket list'.

Long story short...I gave up my job last year to become a carer for my mum who has vascular dementia (horrible illness)...and doing this as made me realise that you really should do all the things your heart desires before its too late.

sooooo....i am going to conquer my fear of flying..just going to Spain or somewhere like that doesn't give me the incentive to get on a plane...now on the other hand see giraffes in the wild absolutely does.

if anyone has ever been on safari (knows where to go and who to book with) all advice would be massively appreciated.

21 Comments

Banned

[img]lekarnar.com/spr…jpg?1431682420[/img]

I find this the best insect repellent

Banned

& ask your doctor about all the vaccinations that are required.

Sorry I can't help but hope you have a wonderful time

Do you subscribe to the Talking point forum?

The only folks I know who did a safari, went to Kenya.

Original Poster

dothedealnow

Do you subscribe to the Talking point forum?The only folks I know who did … Do you subscribe to the Talking point forum?The only folks I know who did a safari, went to Kenya.

​I found out about talking point just yesterday I haven't registered yet but I am going to...I've had a look at it already and will be getting as much advice from there as I can

One more for your bucket list - oosterschelde.nl/en - Some tall ships also do Antarctica.

I went to Kenya in 2013 with my parents. We visited Tsavo East and West Safari Parks and booked with wildlife-kenya.org/

I found them very professional and helpful before, during and after arranging my booking. They were in regular contact right up until the start of the safari. The guide was superb and i couldnt fault the entire trip. Obviously better safaris (for more money) are available in Masai Mara and the Kruger National Park (South Africa) but for Kenya I would recommend the above website.We did a 3 day safari and we saw everything we wanted to (with the exception of the Rhino) but enjoyed immensely the entire 3 days

Original Poster

fauji786

I went to Kenya in 2013 with my parents. We visited Tsavo East and West … I went to Kenya in 2013 with my parents. We visited Tsavo East and West Safari Parks and booked with http://www.wildlife-kenya.org/I found them very professional and helpful before, during and after arranging my booking. They were in regular contact right up until the start of the safari. The guide was superb and i couldnt fault the entire trip. Obviously better safaris (for more money) are available in Masai Mara and the Kruger National Park (South Africa) but for Kenya I would recommend the above website.We did a 3 day safari and we saw everything we wanted to (with the exception of the Rhino) but enjoyed immensely the entire 3 days

​thanks...I'll get looking

Kruger national park, South Africa
    used Trailfinders
    heard Botswana is amazing.

Original Poster

davewave

Kruger national park, South Africaused Trailfindersheard Botswana is … Kruger national park, South Africaused Trailfindersheard Botswana is amazing.

​thanks

Whatever you do, don't take Larium anti-malaria drug. Horrible side effects for some people.
    I've lived in Africa for many years - you will have a wonderful time, nothing like seeing the animals in their natural habitat.

Original Poster

SusieM

Whatever you do, don't take Larium anti-malaria drug. Horrible side … Whatever you do, don't take Larium anti-malaria drug. Horrible side effects for some people.I've lived in Africa for many years - you will have a wonderful time, nothing like seeing the animals in their natural habitat.

​thank you....is there a 'best' time to [email protected]

bevalor

​thank you....is there a 'best' time to [email protected]

April or May, then Sept or Oct.

bevalor

​I found out about talking point just yesterday I haven't registered yet b … ​I found out about talking point just yesterday I haven't registered yet but I am going to...I've had a look at it already and will be getting as much advice from there as I can

​Its very good.

Mum has mixed and MIL vascular.

SusieM

April or May, then Sept or Oct.

And take sensible clothing - leg protection - walking boots or shoes, and a hat and something to cover the back of your neck and shoulders during the day. Many trips are at dawn or sunset to water holes and then you need warmer clothing as it can get quite chilly.

Original Poster

dothedealnow

​Its very good. Mum has mixed and MIL vascular.

​it's been a total whirlwind @dothedealnow oO ...I haven't posted anything on there yet as I think when I open my flood gates I'll never stop...but I have reached the point where I need help and advice oO

Original Poster

SusieM

And take sensible clothing - leg protection - walking boots or shoes, and … And take sensible clothing - leg protection - walking boots or shoes, and a hat and something to cover the back of your neck and shoulders during the day. Many trips are at dawn or sunset to water holes and then you need warmer clothing as it can get quite chilly.

​thank you again @SusieM...all advice is greatly appreciated...as the furthest I've ever been is Wales lol

Years ago went on safari in Kenya via one of those tour operators - split holiday 7 nights safari and can't remember if 3 or 7 nights Mombasa

Visited the equator @ Nanyuki, Samburu, Lake Nakuru plus others (different location each day I think) sometimes tents, saw the big five + others, safari is hard and tiring with long journeys on bumpy roads but a truly amazing, unforgettable experience - I even remember that sexy Samburu dancer I took a shine to and my Mrs noticed
    Have often searched for compilation cd's of tribal music from African tribes as I think it's wonderful and brings back happy memories.

Almost forgot - stayed one night in Treetops (wooden "hotel" on stilts near a lake - the same place the Queen stayed when she found out her father had died.

Hope you do get there and have a wonderful, life experience (you will hate zoos after) - don't pack anything fancy for safari. Get those safari trousers that unzip to become shorts and the best video camera with optical zoom you can afford to keep those memories alive.

Original Poster

thanks @philphil61...lol...if my other half starts eyeing up dancers he mite have an 'unfortunate' fall off the Jeep in the lions habitat X) X)

I went to Kenya and did Tsavo East and West and Amboseli NP. We stayed at a hotel on Diani Beach area and then booked a private safari and driver for the two of us with this conpany

It was an amazing experience and we selected all our hotels in advance. They are a local company and the driver we had was excellence. I would love to visit Masai Mara and would use this company. You can then put together your trip, book a resort for a few days and the flights etc but get the company to help put together the safari element.

I've not been to South Africa though.

We had to take malarone anti malaria tablets and boy did they make me hallucinate.
    Edited by: "rachelandgromit" 13th Jan

Original Poster

rachelandgromit

I went to Kenya and did Tsavo East and West and Amboseli NP. We stayed … I went to Kenya and did Tsavo East and West and Amboseli NP. We stayed at a hotel on Diani Beach area and then booked a private safari and driver for the two of us with this conpanyIt was an amazing experience and we selected all our hotels in advance. They are a local company and the driver we had was excellence. I would love to visit Masai Mara and would use this company. You can then put together your trip, book a resort for a few days and the flights etc but get the company to help put together the safari element.I've not been to South Africa though.We had to take malarone anti malaria tablets and boy did they make me hallucinate.

​can you book your flights and everything from the link in your post?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Quad-core laptop under £470?21
      2. Fitbit HR310
      3. What engine oil do i need for a 2007 Skoda Fabia (Mark 1) 1.9 turbo diesel …67
      4. Stream Showbox from Bluestacks?68

See more discussions