Groups

Any advice for safe browsing (Vista)

Well i managed to sort out my nieces lappy (cheers for everyones help, much appreciated!)

Im just reinstalling anti virus etc & im wondering if there is any plugins for vista i can install to ensure she is warned before downloading etc, i dont want to setup parental controls (she is nearly 21!!!) but she seems to download anything and everything that pops up, the last problem was due to her downloading from Mininova & not virus scanning the folder, this is the 5th time i have had to reinstall the OS in the past year and it has taken me 6 hours today (what with the updates etc)

So, is there a program that will either scan a folder when she download automatically or one can anyone suggest another option to use, i have sat her down and explained how serious it is (she online banks etc) but she takes no notice at all and im getting pretty fed up,

Cheers

Cdm

32 Comments

Avast antivirus is a great program, and lets you know when you are at risk from dangerous files and dangerous websites

you can set up user policies that allow and restrict certain actions in the windows environment such as downloading...:)

20yr olds are still kiddies lol x x x

Hi hun xx

StevenA2000_uk;6155308

you can set up user policies that allow and restrict certain actions in … you can set up user policies that allow and restrict certain actions in the windows environment such as downloading...:)

+1

Don't give her Administrative privileges and make sure the OS is up to date with patches, oh and don't leave the Administrator password blank or guessable.

That should limit damage.

My sisters 21, i give her a limited account on her laptop if she's lucky

ClarityofMind;6155321

20yr olds are still kiddies lol x x xHi hun xx

Reported for being off-topic :roll:

StevenA2000_uk;6155340

Reported for being off-topic :roll:

Oh hush you, cdm was asking about his 20yr old neice.. there's a connection...

plus he doesnt mind me saying hi to him, I'm sure

Yep, the Policy route is the way to go and its very flexible CDM, however you might need to do a bit of reading in order to set it up properly

ClarityofMind;6155355

Oh hush you, cdm was asking about his 20yr old neice.. there's a … Oh hush you, cdm was asking about his 20yr old neice.. there's a connection...plus he doesnt mind me saying hi to him, I'm sure

Oh theres a connection alright....between a certain user and a planet far out into space,.:whistling:

StevenA2000_uk;6155418

Yep, the Policy route is the way to go and its very flexible CDM, however … Yep, the Policy route is the way to go and its very flexible CDM, however you might need to do a bit of reading in order to set it up properly :)Oh theres a connection alright....between a certain user and a planet far out into space,.:whistling:

You should know you're sat on your own all day every day :whistling:;-)

ClarityofMind;6155438

You should know you're sat on your own all day every day :whistling:;-)

lol..CoM, I like you..I really do...but your one-liners need a tad more work :-D

starsparkle2311;6155484

I see you two are still at it then?

Argh. Star. Tell him to stop ittttt

starsparkle2311;6155589

He's not gonna listen to me is he:-D?Just ignore him COM x x Post a pic … He's not gonna listen to me is he:-D?Just ignore him COM x x Post a pic of some giant boobies, that should keep him occupied for a while.

lol, displacement activities?

I'm sure i have some dog treats in the cupboard:-D

Banned

and do a backup of the system once everything is clean installed.

20 min job to recover each time then

ClarityofMind;6155599

lol, displacement activities?I'm sure i have some dog treats in the … lol, displacement activities?I'm sure i have some dog treats in the cupboard:-D

Hope you have a supply to last all weekend...and I'm off Monday as well :whistling:

StevenA2000_uk;6155606

Hope you have a supply to last all weekend...and I'm off Monday as well … Hope you have a supply to last all weekend...and I'm off Monday as well :whistling:

I think I may need somewhere else to go and play :?

ClarityofMind;6155631

I think I may need somewhere else to go and play :?

starsparkle2311;6155931

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO this is the best playground to be in COm x

I agree. I think you should stay CoM....

Edit : what would I do without you.. :w00t:

StevenA2000_uk;6156038

I agree. I think you should stay CoM....Edit : what would I do without … I agree. I think you should stay CoM....Edit : what would I do without you.. :w00t:

:prop:

starsparkle2311;6156073

That's better, now you two play nice, ok?

I'm gonna go sit in the corner and suck my thumb now

Original Poster

abomination;6155332

+1Don't give her Administrative privileges and make sure the OS is up to … +1Don't give her Administrative privileges and make sure the OS is up to date with patches, oh and don't leave the Administrator password blank or guessable.That should limit damage.

Just made a clean reinstall, added AVG (avast is a bit confusing for her), Superantispyware & spywarebalster, when windows updated it had 86 to download, stuck on 16% for about 45mins, so had to restart & redo three times, have spent 6+ hours today sorting it out:x

I dont want to impose strict limits on her as she is nearly 21!!

Problem is if she doesnt have a big red FLASHING sign saying "DONT DOWNLOAD" then she is going to do it again and im getting really annoyed, i caught her carrying it around by the screen last week, (rep for you help, cheers)

My daughter sat on her laptop today ( she left it laying open in her bed ) and broke the screen.

Ha. No more facebook till Christmassssss

Original Poster

StevenA2000_uk;6155418

Yep, the Policy route is the way to go and its very flexible CDM, however … Yep, the Policy route is the way to go and its very flexible CDM, however you might need to do a bit of reading in order to set it up properly :)Oh theres a connection alright....between a certain user and a planet far out into space,.:whistling:

Cheers Steve, helpfull as ever, rep left (and change your avvy, my eyes keep popping out:-D)

starsparkle2311;6156073

That's better, now you two play nice, ok?

Nope...nevaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa gonna happen

ClarityofMind;6156077

I'm gonna go sit in the corner and suck my thumb now

I'll give something else to do in the corner.....:whistling:

clondikemike;6156099

Cheers Steve, helpfull as ever, rep left (and change your avvy, my eyes … Cheers Steve, helpfull as ever, rep left (and change your avvy, my eyes keep popping out:-D)

No probs CDM. All out of rep at the mo but have bookmarked and will rep you tomorrow m8. Cheers.

StevenA2000_uk;6156126

Nope...nevaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa gonna happen :pI'll give something else to … Nope...nevaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa gonna happen :pI'll give something else to do in the corner.....:whistling:

Steven there's something really important about me you should know.. : I am really a man

Serious.

Original Poster

ClarityofMind;6156088

My daughter sat on her laptop today ( she left it laying open in her bed … My daughter sat on her laptop today ( she left it laying open in her bed ) and broke the screen. Ha. No more facebook till Christmassssss

Lol, poblem with my niece is her mum (my sis) hasnt taught her the value of money, only child, spoilt beyond all reason (18th Birthday she had a brand new Ford KA for £6200, 8 weeks later she wrote it off & my sis bought her a new one (higher spec), its her Birthday in 2 weeks and she is taking her to NY for 4 nights, cost £2500 for the flights & Hotel & she has £2500 spending money for them:w00t::w00t: so if she breaks her laptop she will get another:roll:

ClarityofMind;6156130

Steven there's something really important about me you should know.. : I … Steven there's something really important about me you should know.. : I am really a man Serious.

So Gringo bats for the other side then, that wot your telling me here? :?

Original Poster

ClarityofMind;6156130

Steven there's something really important about me you should know.. : I … Steven there's something really important about me you should know.. : I am really a man Serious.

:w00t::lazy:

clondikemike;6156134

Lol, poblem with my niece is her mum (my sis) hasnt taught her the value … Lol, poblem with my niece is her mum (my sis) hasnt taught her the value of money, only child, spoilt beyond all reason (18th Birthday she had a brand new Ford KA for £6200, 8 weeks later she wrote it off & my sis bought her a new one (higher spec), its her Birthday in 2 weeks and she is taking her to NY for 4 nights, cost £2500 for the flights & Hotel & she has £2500 spending money for them:w00t::w00t: so if she breaks her laptop she will get another:roll:

Give me a few weeks with her in Amsterdam....I'll teach her the value of making me money....:w00t:

StevenA2000_uk;6156137

So Gringo bats for the other side then, that wot your telling me here? :?

Dude. I'm just saying like. Me. Alpha.

An I'm off out ballin now with the spare change of 10k I got rattlin in my pockets.

ClarityofMind;6156156

Dude. I'm just saying like. Me. Alpha. An I'm off out ballin now with the … Dude. I'm just saying like. Me. Alpha. An I'm off out ballin now with the spare change of 10k I got rattlin in my pockets.

Who's Alpha? :?

Edit : Is this another personality surfacing CoM? you sly crooner you.... ;-)

Original Poster

StevenA2000_uk;6156144

Give me a few weeks with her in Amsterdam....I'll teach her the value of … Give me a few weeks with her in Amsterdam....I'll teach her the value of making me money....:w00t:

She is to lazy to get on a plane:roll:

she might be better off using Demonoid than mininova too. I've never had a virus from there.

starsparkle2311;6156173

lol:p

lol put that tongue away you , I dont know where its been...:-D

clondikemike;6156178

She is to lazy to get on a plane

:lol:

starsparkle2311;6156191

Excellent thread CDM, great advice you're getting,:-D

Best advice you'll get on any consumer website :thumbsup:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. LG Watch Style worth buying for £75?11
      2. 'Hard' Brexit offers '£135bn annual boost' to economy - BBC News77
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764386
      4. How dangerous is Donald trump?33197

See more discussions