Any advice for someone considering project managing the building of a house extension with no building Experience

Found 29th Oct 2017Edited by:"thebiggishman"
I've spoke to a a builder with a good reputation who says he charges about £1000 per square metre
But I understand some savings can be made if you undertake the role of project manager yourself and arrange your own architect , arrange the digging if your own foundation s etc

Any advice appreciated
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
On the surface the idea of project managing is simple enough, however you need to be up on your game with at least some savvy building knowledge. It's not as simple as it seems especially if you are employing different tradesman to do different works at different times.
for example, if you employ a groundsworkman on week one to dig out the foundations and the weather is poor or his previous job overruns then you'll need to put the foundation layer back then and then the brickie and so on. Tradespeople are often on tight schedules and will simply pull out of doing a job at short notice rather than putting other clients work back just to fit in with your new schedule of works. also a lot of tradesman do not like working alongside other tradespeople sharing the same work space such as a plasterer and a carpenter who are working in the same room as space is at a premium. also plaster can take longer to dry than planned and electricians have to do first fixings and then come back later for the second fixings of wall plugs and light switches.
You might save some money by doing it yourself but really it would be better for one project manager/foreman to oversee the project who can call on one or more tradesman in his network pool to come and go as needed.
The other problem you might have is the quality of workmanship and another tradesperson may not be willing to fix or resolve someone else's work whereas a foreman can call that first person back easier or another team member should be able to fix it.
Sorry to sound so doom and gloom but I'm just trying to be honest with you
13 Comments
Have you ever watched grand designs? They all look haggard by the end of the process.
On the surface the idea of project managing is simple enough, however you need to be up on your game with at least some savvy building knowledge. It's not as simple as it seems especially if you are employing different tradesman to do different works at different times.
for example, if you employ a groundsworkman on week one to dig out the foundations and the weather is poor or his previous job overruns then you'll need to put the foundation layer back then and then the brickie and so on. Tradespeople are often on tight schedules and will simply pull out of doing a job at short notice rather than putting other clients work back just to fit in with your new schedule of works. also a lot of tradesman do not like working alongside other tradespeople sharing the same work space such as a plasterer and a carpenter who are working in the same room as space is at a premium. also plaster can take longer to dry than planned and electricians have to do first fixings and then come back later for the second fixings of wall plugs and light switches.
You might save some money by doing it yourself but really it would be better for one project manager/foreman to oversee the project who can call on one or more tradesman in his network pool to come and go as needed.
The other problem you might have is the quality of workmanship and another tradesperson may not be willing to fix or resolve someone else's work whereas a foreman can call that first person back easier or another team member should be able to fix it.
Sorry to sound so doom and gloom but I'm just trying to be honest with you
Don't do it.
We're getting an extension done next year, and will be giving the whole lot to a builder. I've got an architect coming round this week to do plans and get the planning permission done now. He'll also sort out the construction plans as well and it just means I can give the plans to the builder and let him quote from them.

I wouldn't be doing any more than that myself, you'd just be asking for trouble
Some very good advice above from Toptrumpet.
A colleague of mine did what you are considering and encountered all those problems, and more.
He found that tradespeople considered his job to be low priority, presumably because it was just a small, one-off job. Often they didn't turn up on the agreed day, or they would leave site part way through because one of their regular builder customers had called.
Also, when he finally got to the end and tallied up the total cost, it came to slightly more than a builder had quoted him, so it was a lot of hassle for nothing.
Edited by: "Delbert.Grady" 29th Oct 2017
for an extension, i would just employ one builder to do the whole lot as managing all the trades people to click in with one another is a nightmare. you can employ your own architect but that's about as far as i would go.
Cakeboy791 h, 56 m ago

We're getting an extension done next year, and will be giving the whole …We're getting an extension done next year, and will be giving the whole lot to a builder. I've got an architect coming round this week to do plans and get the planning permission done now. He'll also sort out the construction plans as well and it just means I can give the plans to the builder and let him quote from them.I wouldn't be doing any more than that myself, you'd just be asking for trouble

What sort of size are u planning mate and how much are you hoping for it to cost
Are you going to live in while they work on? This can be quite stressful at time (lack of privacy, dust, noise etc etx.) You may want to consider asking the builder to agree to give you a date for finishing the job. I have known of projects running 3 to 4 months from what the builder promised first, that's a lot of hassle as you can imagine. You got to make sure that the builder don't agree to start another big project while doing yours
thebiggishman10 m ago

What sort of size are u planning mate and how much are you hoping for it …What sort of size are u planning mate and how much are you hoping for it to cost

We're knocking down a conservatory and replacing it with a room of the same size and extending the back of the house out about 8ft on top of it to make a larger bedroom at the back of the house.

I'm working on about 1500 per square metre so I'm guessing around 30k, give or take. That said, I want to get the gutters done at the same time and there's a couple of bits of the roof that need sorting out as well so add another few grand onto that
We're looking at an extension at the moment t, 5x9m at a cost of about 60k which is 1300 per square metre.
Cakeboy7920 h, 11 m ago

We're getting an extension done next year, and will be giving the whole …We're getting an extension done next year, and will be giving the whole lot to a builder. I've got an architect coming round this week to do plans and get the planning permission done now. He'll also sort out the construction plans as well and it just means I can give the plans to the builder and let him quote from them.I wouldn't be doing any more than that myself, you'd just be asking for trouble

How much was the architect plan? Im thinking of extending my end house to make additional 2 bedrooms alongside my corner house.
Thanks
If you want to cut costs as much of the donkey work yourself as possible and get a list of things you can do to help speed up the process.

Things like digging the footings, painting or helping run wires/pipes.
The quicker it's done the less the cost should be.
Misslovely2 h, 42 m ago

How much was the architect plan? Im thinking of extending my end house to …How much was the architect plan? Im thinking of extending my end house to make additional 2 bedrooms alongside my corner house. Thanks

£750 including VAT, but not including the cost of submitting the planning permission. There's also a construction plan as well to pay for on top of that, but that comes later on once planning permission has been granted
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants