Any advice on purchasing a new spa bath?

Found 19th Feb 2012
Hi There, I'm thinking of buying a new spa bath (1700 x 800) ans wondering if anyone has any advice? Ideally, I would like to change the bathroom suite with a spa bath suite but not too sure what works out the cheapest. Also, can I consider a brand other than Whirlpool? Thank you
Community Updates
27 Comments
Do look into the filling time.

We bought a spa bath some years ago in the house I had then and were deterred from buying the original size we wanted because it took ages to fill.

They are fab though, you don't want to get out!

We got ours from an independent shop which has since closed.
Spa Baths ! Where do I start. We have just refurbished our bathroom including installing a Spa Bath. After alot of research on Spa Baths , we purchased from the internet, after previously having a 'Bath Store ' Spa Bath, which was good. Abit apprehensive of the risk from purchasing on the net without physically seeing the product. There was no need ! ! It is fantastic and worth every penny! Depends how much you want to spend ? What kind of spa bath you want ? Air Jets ? Water Jets ? Both ?? and lights ? Any questions just ask ! ! We spend months researching and planning our spa room and it is fantastic now !
Original Poster
funny.onion

Do look into the filling time. We bought a spa bath some years ago in the … Do look into the filling time. We bought a spa bath some years ago in the house I had then and were deterred from buying the original size we wanted because it took ages to fill.They are fab though, you don't want to get out!We got ours from an independent shop which has since closed.

Thanks funny.onion. I read one review online yesterday which said the bath wasn't deep enough. Thanks for pointing out the time it'd take to fill! At the mo, we have a normal bath and it takes 20mins min to fill! On the other hand other half is 6' 3" so we need at least a 800 width one
Original Poster
bargain monkey

Spa Baths ! Where do I start. We have just refurbished our bathroom … Spa Baths ! Where do I start. We have just refurbished our bathroom including installing a Spa Bath. After alot of research on Spa Baths , we purchased from the internet, after previously having a 'Bath Store ' Spa Bath, which was good. Abit apprehensive of the risk from purchasing on the net without physically seeing the product. There was no need ! ! It is fantastic and worth every penny! Depends how much you want to spend ? What kind of spa bath you want ? Air Jets ? Water Jets ? Both ?? and lights ? Any questions just ask ! ! We spend months researching and planning our spa room and it is fantastic now !

I've looked on eBay and some online bathroom stores and like what I've seen so far. Ideally we'd want one with at least 12 jets (no light due to extra cost). I'm hoping we could get one (with the pan and semi-recessed basin) for £1,000 ish?

Saw this http://www.eb*y.co.uk/itm…946?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Although, I think it's probably better buying the bath on its won and the choosing a suitable pan, basin and taps. I don't particularly like those taps.
Don't discount eBay. I got this for £1100. Ex display with full warranty from Alderley Edge bathrooms.

bathroomsuppliesonline.com/ide…tml
Look at Luna Spas website - for ideas as to what is out there ! You can pick the bath to your requirements, as to what you want and how much you want to spend. I personally to make it cheaper would buy the bath seperate to the rest of the items.Thats what we did to make sure we had enough money for the luxury item - the spa Bath. Our First spa Bath was from the Bath Store with approx. 12 side whirlpool jets, this was approx £600-£700 and was good ! It apparently retails at over £1000 but we purchased on one of their sales !? Which appear quite regular. After the taste of this spa bath we wouldnt look back now and on moving house we missed our spa bath so much it was the first thing we had to do on our new house! We now have a Spa Bath with Air Jets at the bottom as well as the Side Whirlpool jets. It is the best thing in the house ! We did purchase from Luna Spas and did get the light free.
So these spa baths are that good?
As well as Luna Spas - look up Aqua Stream Whirlpool !
EN1GMA

So these spa baths are that good?

I'll be honest here and say that we hardly ever use it. It just takes too long to fill. You have to have them at a certain level before the jets will work.

The best part is sneaking in the bathroom and turning the bottom air jets on when my 5 year old grandaughter is in the bath. It scares her to death http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q71/LGS624/Emoticons/naughty.gif
Can't you just fart in the bath and save a lot of money.:D
Original Poster
I'll have a look at those websites. We had one but when we moved, we never bought one and I miss it so mch. It helps with my bad back and it'll get plenty of use. Just need to sort out the water flow from the taps. Thanks all
Buying a spa bath is the best investment in the house! There is nothing better after a bad day at work coming home to a relaxing getaway! They have thereapeutic benefits as well as relaxation. You only need to fill the bath just above the jets for them to work. Ours is used everyday and the poor shower is never used !
Original Poster
Any of these extras absolutely necessary?

Electric Circuit Breaker +£20
Inline Heater (1.5kw) +£140 -

Fitted Aqua-Fill system (fills bath through the jets) +£245
Fitted Electronic Aqua-Touch Controls +£250
Fitted BATH-SOUND (converts bath into speaker) +£395 -

Repositional Luxury Bath Pillow +£30
Whirlpool & Spa Bath Cleansing Solution (500 ml) +£12
Whirlpool & Spa Bath Cleansing Solution & Tabs +£20

rag1973

Any of these extras absolutely necessary?Electric Circuit Breaker +£20 … Any of these extras absolutely necessary?Electric Circuit Breaker +£20 Inline Heater (1.5kw) +£140 -Fitted Aqua-Fill system (fills bath through the jets) +£245 Fitted Electronic Aqua-Touch Controls +£250 Fitted BATH-SOUND (converts bath into speaker) +£395 -Repositional Luxury Bath Pillow +£30 Whirlpool & Spa Bath Cleansing Solution (500 ml) +£12 Whirlpool & Spa Bath Cleansing Solution & Tabs +£20

Isn't the circuit breaker compulsory?
And our fitter told us that Miltons fluid is just as good as any cleansing solution.

Not necessary, all optional extras.

The inline Circuit Breaker depends on the electrical connections available. Consult an electrician for advice. If indoubt dont order, as this can be fitter later and cheaper. Inline Heater - we havent got, this is just to keep the heat longer. But realistically you arent going to be in it all day. We didnt have a clue at first and spoke to Luna and they were very knowledgeabe and helpful. We have the Bath Sound, this is a Sound system to play your IPOD through your bath, so the music plays through the bathtub and you can feel the music ! ! We buy our bath cleaning solution from Homebase on their 10%days. approx. £5 a big bottle.
I would advise you not to use Milton on a Spa Bath, It is a sterilising fluid, it will kill bugs/bacteria but will not clean and loosen the rubbish and natural debris in the jets. I certainly wouldnt spend that much money on a Spa Bath and use Milton. You need to use a specific bath cleaner for the natural grease and scum build up. If you shop around you will only need to spend approx £5 for a big bottle which will last a year.
Original Poster
Hi All,

Here are 2 contenders for the spa bath. Let me knowwhat you think.

Whirlpoolstore

Carron Haiku 1700 x 800

inside width 520
inside length 1400

£959.99 16 jet spa
£1209.58 16 jet spa & 10 air spa
£1065 11 jet spa & 10 air jet spa

comes with everything except waste (+£20)
needs a tap / bath filler

Luna spa

California double ended 1700 x 800

inside width 470
inside length 1100

comes with everything inc waste and led lights (thrown in for free)

£1085 14 jet spa & 12 air spa

My main worry is the latter is not as wide and long inside. Other half is very tall and big so size matters here!
All sound good! Its what you prefer! We ordered from Luna spas so can't say what the other company are like!? We were concerned initially as until the bath comes it is hard to guess what size and shape the inside of the bath is like. We had the free light and it is good! A relaxing blue light which lights up the water! It is one light! Unless the offer has changed! I was not fussed about air jets! I only wanted the side jets before purchasing! But now I have the air jets they are better than the side spa jets and are quite powerful! One think to check is does the jets have a self cleaning system ? Our air jets from Luna spas has a built in system where approx. 20 mins after use the air jets blow the excess water out the jets to self clean . This sold it for us!
In relation to size of the bath I initially wanted as big as possible, but when our bath came it seemed deep and not as wide! I am now fairly glad it is not too wide, as I get to feel the jets without feeling miles away from the sides, but it is what u prefer! We didn't look at whirlpool as we thought they would be too expensive but there sizing sound bigger inside the tub!
Original Poster
Thanks Bargain monkey. I think we'll go with Luna spas. Just waiting for the credit card to arrive.

Went to B&Q yesterday to see a consultant and items and labour came to around £4000! About £1100 to fit the bathroom suite. So, I'd be getting our own plumber to do the work. Did you have to also get an electrician or was everything done by the plumber? Thanks
We personally did it all ourselves , then got the electrical work signed off by a electrician .bath is easy to fit and of good quality.
Original Poster
bargain monkey

We personally did it all ourselves , then got the electrical work signed … We personally did it all ourselves , then got the electrical work signed off by a electrician .bath is easy to fit and of good quality.

Hi Bargain Monkey,

Hope you're still subscribed to this. I know it's been over a month. I finally got the bath and will be fitted tomorrow but I'd need an electrician to sign it off. Is it a case of ringing round and asking how much to sign off the electrical work on a spa bath?

Thanks
Original Poster
Hi All,

Spa bath fitted and very pleased. I got it from GW Interiors. Bath includes 12 spa jets, 12 air jets, bath light. bath panel,etc.

Many thanks for all your advice.
Can anyone tell me if i can have a spa bath with a shower over it? Also i know u cant use bubble bath but what about oil in the water with the spa on?
Lharrison

Can anyone tell me if i can have a spa bath with a shower over it? Also i … Can anyone tell me if i can have a spa bath with a shower over it? Also i know u cant use bubble bath but what about oil in the water with the spa on?

We have a shower in/over ours. Why do do think it could be a problem?

Also it's not recommended to use oil in a spa bath. It creates a film over the pipework which mankiness can cling on to.

pure-spa.co.uk/hel…htm

Edited by: "deeky" 31st Jan 2016
deeky

Also it's not recommended to use oil in a spa bath. It creates a film … Also it's not recommended to use oil in a spa bath. It creates a film over the pipework which mankiness can cling on to.

Would this be an issue if he lived outside Manchester?

Saturn

Would this be an issue if he lived outside Manchester?

Not sure tbh. Truth be told, it never really occurred to me that it might only be Mancs who got manky.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants