Groups

Any auto-electricians/mechanics on here?

When putting the kids' bikes on the bike rack on my 05 Fiesta the lights are obscured. I have got a trailer board from when I had a car with a towbar - is it easy (and cheap!) to fit a socket onto the back of the car so that I can use the trailer board? Not really that keen on having to fit a towbar if I can help it!

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

4 Comments

In some modern cars there will be an aftermarket wiring harness that can be connected in to the rear lighting circuit using a multi-pin connector. This can then be mounted on the underside of the car, the wiring running through the boot floor through a rubber grommet. We fitted something similar to our Citroen Picasso. The harness can be purchsed off e-bay or buy doing a Google search will bring up some online suppliers. Have a look at item 380098446383 on E-Bay. ]Or have a look here for a cheaper version.

http://www.discountmotoring.co.uk/shop/images/towing_accessories/towbar_wiring_kits/towbar_wiring_kit.jpg

Original Poster

Thanks for your help. Was yours easy to fit or is it a job best left to the experts?

find out what colour wire goes to what light then connect the wires using scotch lock connectors take about an hour tops

Evil_monkey;4385985

Thanks for your help. Was yours easy to fit or is it a job best left to … Thanks for your help. Was yours easy to fit or is it a job best left to the experts?

I managed to find a wiring diagram on the net for the Picasso. Whilst I'm not a car mechanic by trade I do have a fairly in depth knowledge of engineering and electrics and I found it quite tricky to find the correct wires, splice in wiring and then run the cable through the boot. But after I'd called an auto-electrician who wanted about £75 just for the labour I did go ahead and do it myself. The first thing to do is trace the correct wires and see how accessible they are, then find a route through the boot floor and then see how confident you feel.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. wharf comp - win a michael grant watch - email entry only22
      2. mail on sunday comp - win a £3,000 thomas cook gift e-card11
      3. computer active mag comp - win one of two y-cam protect alarm systems worth…44
      4. Win a Davosa Ternos Submariner Wristwatch worth £64578

See more discussions