Any bakers out there?

Posted 23rd Dec 2019
Hello!
I'd like to start baking and have a little list of cakes, cookies recipies etc I'd like to try.
But I don't have any stuff to make it with!
I have a rough idea/list of basic things I would need but there will always be things that I'm missing as I have zero experience!

My list consists of: dif sizes mixing bowls, rubber spatula, sieve, whisks, measuring jug, rolling pin, pastry brush, measuring spoons, wooden spoons, baking trays, cupcake tray, grease proof paper, cooling racks.

So my questions are does anyone have any secrets/tips/tricks? Or things I'd have forgotten halfway through and need or don't have on my list?
Thanks,
Merry Xmas.
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
mas9923/12/2019 14:31

marble slab to work on?

Or to perform autopsy on after cakes have been eaten
11 Comments
@NP23 one for you to answer?
Start with the easiest cakes to make ever......rice crispy cakes.

100g milk chocolate broken up
50g dark chocolate broken up
100g butter
4 tbsp golden syrup
100g rice crispies

Put the chocolate in a heatproof bowl with the butter and golden syrup and gently melt in 10-second bursts in the microwave, or melt it over a pan of simmering water, making sure the bowl doesn’t touch the water. Stir until smooth, then take off the heat and stir in the rice pops, coating them gently with the chocolate until they are all completely covered.

Divide the mixture between nine cupcake or 12 fairy cake paper cases – it’s easier if you slide these into a muffin tin as it will help them hold their shape. Leave to set. If you want them to set faster, put in the fridge for 1 hr.

Scales
heatproof bowl/saucepan
tablespoon
paper cake cases
microwave
Edited by: "m1keyp1key" 23rd Dec 2019
marble slab to work on?
mas9923/12/2019 14:31

marble slab to work on?

Or to perform autopsy on after cakes have been eaten
you missed out scales and oven.
maybe try no bake stuff first? stuff you can make with fridge
search for malteaser cake - yummy
If you don't have anything at all, then buy a bowl, a wooden spoon, and some weighing scales and see if you like it before buying too much stuff.

Also, practice.

Cookies and Biscuits are easier to make than cakes.
I have a fully functioning kitchen lol. I have a microwave/oven/scales etc for making the dinner.
I'm just not clued up on the best things to buy to bake apart from basic things I've found on the web.
Was more looking for tips like maybe silicone trays are better than carbon steel ones etc from peoples experiences of using them and stuff like that before I waste my money buying certain things.
Probably better off on a baking forum
Cakes are a broad area with many different techniques in use so it's a hard question to answer.

You'll need a cake tin if you want to make full sized cakes. The size and shape is up to you but I'd suggest simple shapes to begin with (cylinder or rectangular tin) as the fancier ones do require some preparation to make sure the cake doesn't stick.

If you like to use greaseproof paper for your baking trays you may want cake tin liners (and paper cases as the small ones are often known) so you may want to buy the tins to fit the liners.

Spoon choice is up to you, go for the one you feel comfortable holding - and make sure it's long enough that you can still use it when your bowl of choice is full. Also, broader spoons require more effort to stir so don't go overboard there. It doesn't have to be wood, my mixing spoon is plastic.

You will want metal implements for icing though, the silicone spatula won't cut it there. I believe Nylon ones are available too, but I haven't tried them.

Your current baking trays are fine, you don't need different ones for biscuits.
A flour-dredger is not necessary, but I find it really useful when I’m working with pastry.

Another thing isn’t an item, but you should practice being able to see what is a good consistency for your batter/mixture. There are “cake in a mug” items you can get cheaply off amazon or ebay which will help you develop this skill and make some simple but tasty cakes in >10 minutes
I'm not into baking in any way but note in PoundLand, there is a huge (cheap) range of baking stuff endorsed by Jane Asher

shewhobakes.co.uk/jan…nd/
Home Bargains sometimes has reduced baking stuff but my go to place for quality kitchen/bakeware that will last is TK Maxx.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions