Any benefit to Evian bottled water

I drink water from the cooling machine at work but at home I only drink Evian bottled water as I did not like the taste of water straight from the tap. However, by putting filtered tap water in the fridge to cool before I drink it seem to taste the same as a cooled bottle of Evian water.

I understand that the sales pitch from Evian is that it is mineral water sourced naturally and is supposed to be good for you. Obviously I had believed this but I am just wondering if I am just being a mug here and there is no health benefit at all from Evian water over tap water?

Before I go and stock up at Sainsburys, I would be interested to know your opinion as to whether I should not waste money and just drink the filtered water?

43 Comments

Being a mug I am afraid, most bottled water isn't sourced from where you would think it is.

google.co.uk/?gw…ssl

I use one of these filters, best ive ever had (had a few different ones in the past) amazon.co.uk/Aqu…N2Z

Original Poster

leeanne123

I use one of these filters, best ive ever had (had a few different ones … I use one of these filters, best ive ever had (had a few different ones in the past) https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aqua-Optima-Anti-bacteria-effective-AJ0100/dp/B00FMVARWI/ref=pd_sim_201_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=F83JCKTDM44H4KT0HN2Z

that is the one i have. i thought i would try to use filtered water and see if that tastes better than water straight from the tap and certainly once cooled, i could not tell the difference to Evian mineral water.

mutley1

that is the one i have. i thought i would try to use filtered water and … that is the one i have. i thought i would try to use filtered water and see if that tastes better than water straight from the tap and certainly once cooled, i could not tell the difference to Evian mineral water.

I found it as good as any bottled water. I dont bother with bottled water anymore (apart form the odd bottle of smart water if i need electrolytes while im out). It saves the money and the hassle of buying bottled water too

Original Poster

leeanne123

I found it as good as any bottled water. I dont bother with bottled water … I found it as good as any bottled water. I dont bother with bottled water anymore (apart form the odd bottle of smart water if i need electrolytes while im out). It saves the money and the hassle of buying bottled water too

i have never heard of smart water. what are electrolytes? sound like some sort of electricity molecule???

No benefit at all.

water load of codswollop

mutley1

i have never heard of smart water. what are electrolytes? sound like … i have never heard of smart water. what are electrolytes? sound like some sort of electricity molecule???

Electrolytes are certain nutrients in your body that have several functions including regulating your heartbeat to allowing your muscles to contract so you can move. The major electrolytes found within the body include calcium, magnesium, potassium, sodium, phosphate and chloride.

Naive - spelled backwards...

Struggling to think of any benefits. The only one I can come up with is availability, in that if you are out and about it's convenient to get hold of. On the downside though, it's incredibly bad for the environment as (I presume) it is trucked from Lake Geneva to the UK, not to mention the millions of plastic bottles. It costs around 1300 times more than tap water, and many people, including the op find it hard to tell the difference between bottled water and tap water. I would say give filtered chilled tap water a go.

your a mug mutley (in the nicest possible way)

move to south yorkshire....tap water tastes exactly the same as bottled.

Original Poster

leeanne123

Electrolytes are certain nutrients in your body that have several … Electrolytes are certain nutrients in your body that have several functions including regulating your heartbeat to allowing your muscles to contract so you can move. The major electrolytes found within the body include calcium, magnesium, potassium, sodium, phosphate and chloride.

is smart water good for you or is it another fib that they are selling? should i be drinking smart water then?

It's filtered water which then has electrolytes added to it. Thats it.

Original Poster

pooool

Naive - spelled backwards...

i am quite sceptical but in certain ways i am pretty gullible. my colleagues used to play pranks on me as i am such easy prey

mutley1

is smart water good for you or is it another fib that they are selling? … is smart water good for you or is it another fib that they are selling? should i be drinking smart water then?

Its a con

Drinking filtered water and taking suppliments or nutritionally imbibing enough electrolytes passively through your diet achieves the same effect. The reason that I, upon occasion drink it is due to my diet; I am on a Ketogenic diet and so I am aware of my electrolyte & ketone levels. We all need to keep healthy stocks of electrolytes and so if I'm in a position where I need to hydrate and I don't have anything pre-prepared, the small electrolyte increase from Smart Water is an additional bonus.

Of course Evian is better for you it really helps to lighten your wallet, ergo, less weight to carry round.

Original Poster

leeanne123

Drinking filtered water and taking suppliments or nutritionally imbibing … Drinking filtered water and taking suppliments or nutritionally imbibing enough electrolytes passively through your diet achieves the same effect. The reason that I, upon occasion drink it is due to my diet; I am on a Ketogenic diet and so I am aware of my electrolyte & ketone levels. We all need to keep healthy stocks of electrolytes and so if I'm in a position where I need to hydrate and I don't have anything pre-prepared, the small electrolyte increase from Smart Water is an additional bonus.

well i am on a cake and biscuit diet so i guess i will also need extra electrolytes. X)

bottled water doesn't have to comply with nearly as much water quality regulations and limits as tap water. to be honest just putting unfiltered tap water in the fridge will make it taste better

Original Poster

RadiantDuck

bottled water doesn't have to comply with nearly as much water quality … bottled water doesn't have to comply with nearly as much water quality regulations and limits as tap water. to be honest just putting unfiltered tap water in the fridge will make it taste better

i haven't tried this but i will do to see if the taste is the same. thanks for the suggestion.

I always put our tap water in the fridge overnight to take to work/school the next day, as we can taste certain chemicals ( chlorine like) otherwise. Sometimes is worse than others, I know it's safe to drink, but we just aren't keen on the taste. Very hard water area where I am, so not sure if that also impacts on the taste.

In regards to water coolers at work, I stay well clear, they are supposed to be cleaned on a regular basis but ours never are, also the water in the large bottles turns green if left in daylight too long, ( for example if they are in front of a window ) hence the company who provides them also gives us a cover to put over the top, but I'm not sure how hygienic they are.

Edited by: "tinkerbellian" 14th May

If you leave water in a jug etc in the fridge over night the chlorine taste disapears this removes any cl2 taste

mutley1

well i am on a cake and biscuit diet so i guess i will also need extra … well i am on a cake and biscuit diet so i guess i will also need extra electrolytes. X)

​It's pretty much just salt that some people sweat out during exercise. Some people sweat more salt than others so need to top it up with salt tablets or a fancy drink.

Evian supposedly filtered by rocks naturally.
Anything bottled in plastic has bpa in it so best getting glass bottled.
Tap water the nations recycled urine and feaces filtered using chemicals and then sand filtered, lowers fertility due to contamination from ladies who are on the pill.
Other down sides for me is the amount of chalk.. some say it's good for you but when you look at what it does to kettles and stainless steel, do I trust it? Nah.

Edited by: "michaelgold" 14th May

Original Poster

michaelgold

Evian supposedly filtered by rocks naturally.Tap water the nations … Evian supposedly filtered by rocks naturally.Tap water the nations recycled urine and feaces filtered using chemicals and then sand filtered, lowers fertility in men due to contamination from ladies who are on the pill.Other down sides for me is the amount of chalk.. some say it's good for you but when you look at what it does to kettles and stainless steel, do I trust it? Nah.

well this is certainly the sales pitch that Evian is supposed to contain minerals which is good for the body, which is why it is labelled as 'mineral' water. it was partly why i chose that label as i did think it was sourced from springs that contained minerals.

Original Poster

kester76

It's pretty much just salt that some people sweat out during exercise. … It's pretty much just salt that some people sweat out during exercise. Some people sweat more salt than others so need to top it up with salt tablets or a fancy drink.

i see. i don't sweat that much so i guess i am safe.

Original Poster

tinkerbellian

I always put our tap water in the fridge overnight to take to work/school … I always put our tap water in the fridge overnight to take to work/school the next day, as we can taste certain chemicals ( chlorine like) otherwise. Sometimes is worse than others, I know it's safe to drink, but we just aren't keen on the taste. Very hard water area where I am, so not sure if that also impacts on the taste.In regards to water coolers at work, I stay well clear, they are supposed to be cleaned on a regular basis but ours never are, also the water in the large bottles turns green if left in daylight too long, ( for example if they are in front of a window ) hence the company who provides them also gives us a cover to put over the top, but I'm not sure how hygienic they are.

i have never seen any water bottle at work turn green. that is really odd. surely health and safety would be jumping up and down at that! i used to have an Armana american fridge that cooled water when you put your cup in the water dispenser but i never used it as i have always drank Evian water at home.

michaelgold

Evian supposedly filtered by rocks naturally. Anything bottled in plastic … Evian supposedly filtered by rocks naturally. Anything bottled in plastic has bpa in it so best getting glass bottled.Tap water the nations recycled urine and feaces filtered using chemicals and then sand filtered, lowers fertility due to contamination from ladies who are on the pill.Other down sides for me is the amount of chalk.. some say it's good for you but when you look at what it does to kettles and stainless steel, do I trust it? Nah.

​i work for a water company and 99% of our raw water comes from reservoirs, boreholes and springs with no sewage treatment upstream. So no female hormones, just sheep urine.

Original Poster

RadiantDuck

i work for a water company and 99% of our raw water comes from … i work for a water company and 99% of our raw water comes from reservoirs, boreholes and springs with no sewage treatment upstream. So no female hormones, just sheep urine.

that is good to know. not sure if i would rather have the female hormones or the sheep urine. lol X)

I drink BRAWNDO!!!
The Thirst Mutilator!
It's got Electrolytes...

My fridge has a built in water dispenser with a Brita filter. Since I bought it I find I am drinking way more water than before. It tastes lovely. I also have one of those bobble water bottles with a filter in which I keep in the fridge for when I go out walking. Personally I wouldn't bother with mineral water but the tap water is quite tasty round here anyway. When I lived in London I hated the water. Don't think the mineral qualities of Evian will make a great deal of difference

Evian Water is worth the money if you can easily afford it, It is far superior to nearly all other waters because of its unpolluted natural source high in the Alps.

Water tastes like water? You may be on to something.

What you need is some of Peckhams finest spring water.

mutley1

that is good to know. not sure if i would rather have the female … that is good to know. not sure if i would rather have the female hormones or the sheep urine. lol X)

​well,alot of people don't drink water due to the disgusting things fish do in it!

mutley1

i have never seen any water bottle at work turn green. that is really … i have never seen any water bottle at work turn green. that is really odd. surely health and safety would be jumping up and down at that! i used to have an Armana american fridge that cooled water when you put your cup in the water dispenser but i never used it as i have always drank Evian water at home.

Despite numerous rules regarding just about everything else , the water cooler is a strangely unregulated machine. We have drop offs of water which tend to be about 20 of the large bottles at a time, but depending on where they are stored they frequently go green before they make it as far as the machine, it's quite revolting to be honest . I actually just googled it, and apparently it's down to algae growing in the sunlight, yeuchy.
Edited by: "tinkerbellian" 14th May

I only drink rainwater these days.

RadiantDuck

i work for a water company and 99% of our raw water comes from … i work for a water company and 99% of our raw water comes from reservoirs, boreholes and springs with no sewage treatment upstream. So no female hormones, just sheep urine.

RadiantDuck

Our as in the whole of the UK or the area your from?
I watched a documentary a while back, it was Thames water and they showed u all the sewage being treated.. and made into drinking water.. poop and God knows what.. was disgusting.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Which Smart Watch for Running?25
    2. Which Camera?!!!22
    3. Kodi - £ Sports Recommendations1014
    4. Sky or Virgin?1418

See more discussions