Groups

any body offer me nay advice???

Hiya i am just after a bit of advice please.
    I am a single mum who works part tirme 21 hours a week, i receive my wages which is about 150 a week , my working tax and my child benefit so basically i am taking home 250 a week, out of that i am straight away paying out over 100 just on rent and council tax which leaves me a150 a week for bills etc.
    I am told that when my son starts school i will not be intitled to school meals free or the school uniform grant of 35 ?? which people on benefits are entitled to, although single mums on benefits are on around 150 a week which is the same as which i am after i have paid my rent and council tax ???
    is this right becuse to me this does not seem fair ??
    if i am actually being left worse off ??

25 Comments

Banned

are you not getting help with housing costs/council tax?n you will only get free school meals if you are receiving the full amount of child tax credits without any working tax credit

Original Poster

apparantly i am not eligable for help with my rent although i only earn 150 a week, i get reduced council tax for being a single person on my own ??

Banned

hayls;5812957

apparantly i am not eligable for help with my rent although i only earn … apparantly i am not eligable for help with my rent although i only earn 150 a week, i get reduced council tax for being a single person on my own ??

it seems what they give you in one hand they take off in the other, Do you get maintenance, are you getting the right amount of tax credits, etc,etc

Original Poster

apparantly so but to me it does not seem right when people on benefits are actually working out better off ( and before i get shouted at i am not moaning at people on benefits at all ) i just wanted to know if ther was anything else i would be entitled to because i am actually going to work for nothing really .
    i am not receiving any maintenance at the minute but i will be when it is sorted out

Get in contact with CAB, May seem daft but i bet if you reduce youre working hours you will recieve more benifits! Look online to calculate what you are revieving is correct. Working tax credit have a calculator to work out if you are recieving the right benifits.

is this right becuse to me this does not seem fair ??

Where did you get the delusion that life is fair?

Banned

hayls;5813037

apparantly so but to me it does not seem right when people on benefits … apparantly so but to me it does not seem right when people on benefits are actually working out better off ( and before i get shouted at i am not moaning at people on benefits at all ) i just wanted to know if ther was anything else i would be entitled to because i am actually going to work for nothing really .i am not receiving any maintenance at the minute but i will be when it is sorted out

hence why alot of people remain on benefits, it isnt just you its hundreds that are worse off working, as said check you are receing all your entitled to, and check if dropping an hour may get you more help

Banned

hey hun

havent read all the replies so not sure if anyone has said, but if your a single mum you can work up to 16 hours AND recieve income support/benefits on top. Then you would get help with your rent, school meals, school uniform etc

xxx

me and my partner were both working and recieving tax credits now i have given up work we are alot better of,like someone else said u may be better of working less hours

student_mummy;5813074

hey hunhavent read all the replies so not sure if anyone has said, but if … hey hunhavent read all the replies so not sure if anyone has said, but if your a single mum you can work up to 16 hours AND recieve income support/benefits on top. Then you would get help with your rent, school meals, school uniform etcxxx

So by working less she could be better off? The brilliance of this country. Fair play to you for going to work, whem you'd probably be better off not working. The amount of houses I go in with 50" plasmas (nee wallpaper or carpets) and the people are happy sitting watching Jeremy Kyle all day.

Banned

Paddy_o_furniture;5813147

So by working less she could be better off? The brilliance of this … So by working less she could be better off? The brilliance of this country. Fair play to you for going to work, whem you'd probably be better off not working. The amount of houses I go in with 50" plasmas (nee wallpaper or carpets) and the people are happy sitting watching Jeremy Kyle all day.

lol, i know but yeh i think thats the case.

I was told about it when i had my first and her dad wasnt around. I started a degree though so never started working xx

Banned

so if you can work 5 hours less a week, (i think) you will get -

Your wage
    Income Support
    Child Tax Credits
    Child Benefit
    Housing Benefit
    Council Tax Benefit (although they will probably take your income into consideration for both of these)

xx

Banned

how many children do you have?

Paddy_o_furniture;5813147

So by working less she could be better off? The brilliance of this … So by working less she could be better off? The brilliance of this country. Fair play to you for going to work, whem you'd probably be better off not working. The amount of houses I go in with 50" plasmas (nee wallpaper or carpets) and the people are happy sitting watching Jeremy Kyle all day.

Bet they get the tv's from brighthouse :-D

Banned

student_mummy;5813197

so if you can work 5 hours less a week, (i think) you will get - Your … so if you can work 5 hours less a week, (i think) you will get - Your wageIncome SupportChild Tax CreditsChild BenefitHousing Benefit Council Tax Benefit (although they will probably take your income into consideration for both of these)xx

if her wage is over income support rates this will not happen, therefore if she claims ctc for her children then if she earms over the IS rate for herself the above will not happen

People on benefits get free school meals, if you work you get Self Respect instead.

(Though not many kids are that keen on the school meals anyway!)

Its confusing isnt it.
    Try a few scenarios on [url]www.entitledto.com[/url]
    See how your better off, hth x

check on entitled.com - its fairly accurate

£100 on both c/tx and rent? seems ok, i pay more, even after help, but may have more kids than you?

i find it hard with the school dinners, £29 a week it costs me :cry: i would rather have these free than my prescriptions, which you shouldnt have to pay for, along with eyecare, dental etc

if you need childcare dont forget tax credits will pay up to 80% off this too, chase CSA for maintenance cos this isnt taken into consideration with tax credits etc, although ive had no luck yet

good luck - it is tough but its worth it i think

Original Poster

only the 1 child .
    thanks people looks like ill carry on working for nothink lol but it does mean that i dont have to watch jeremy all day haha

Banned

well i just stuck some figures in and you seem to be under getting if you say that child tax creits, working tax creits and child benefit all add up to only £100 per week

hayls;5813277

only the 1 child .thanks people looks like ill carry on working for … only the 1 child .thanks people looks like ill carry on working for nothink lol but it does mean that i dont have to watch jeremy all day haha

I wasn't having a dig at you, I respect any single mother/father as I know what a handful and hard work my 2 can be and thats with me and my missus. I work full time (I say work I turn up) and my missus works part time at night due to child care costs.

It just annoys me when I turn up to peoples houses and it's blatantly obvious that they are playing the system.

Banned

4lyons09;5813202

Bet they get the tv's from brighthouse :-D

and get robbed silly!!

Cant believe that shops allowed :lol: xx

Banned

sassie;5813220

if her wage is over income support rates this will not happen, therefore … if her wage is over income support rates this will not happen, therefore if she claims ctc for her children then if she earms over the IS rate for herself the above will not happen

Well thats what i was offered at the time if i found a p/t job under 16 hours when i left school

Original Poster

hhaa its ok i know u werent having a dig lol, just thought id try n be funny- i could still watch jeremy kyle as i actually work nights haha.
    Luckily i dont have to pay childcare because i do work nights so nan baysits ( thank god 4 nans )lol
    I will try and do a benefit calculation n see what that throws up

with your details you should get somewhere in the region of £17.74 housing benefit and 84p council tax benefit

Income from Working Tax Credit : £ 61.48

Income from Child Tax Credit : £ 53.41

wage (after deductions) £140.45

total in £255.34 plus child benefit (£20 I think) £275.34

minus rent and council tax @ £81.42 (with yr benefits)

leaves you with 193.92 (roughly)

so somethings amiss to the amount of £40 odd
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. help: windows 10 wifi issue13
      2. Golf DSG GTD Real MPG?11
      3. word survey34
      4. Do cheeky drivers annoy you when they park outside your house and leave it …915

See more discussions