Any Car Experts?

Found 22nd Jan
VW Golf TDI 1.6 2010, 65000 Miles.
I was given a quote from a garage whom I've used several times for MOT's & servicing. But this is the first time I need to get a few things sorted/replaced.
At the last Servicing/MOT they suggested the following to be replaced:
Water Pump & Cam belt - £390,
Brake pads & discos and front - £180
Front shock absorbers - £240
all prices are for parts, labour & VAT.

Just wondered if anyone can tell me if this sounds about the right prices, or not.

South East England - if that makes any difference to price.

Thanks in advance.
Community Updates
Ask
25 Comments
Suggest you email letters@honestjohn.co.uk for an informed opinion. He has been writing a column in the Daily torygraph for years and has a lot of insights into motoring.
Original Poster
ccnp3 m ago

Suggest you email letters@honestjohn.co.uk for an informed opinion. He …Suggest you email letters@honestjohn.co.uk for an informed opinion. He has been writing a column in the Daily torygraph for years and has a lot of insights into motoring.

Thank you I have emailed him. I have come across his site in the past.
The waterpump and cambelt sounds a little on the high side to me assuming this is an independent garage and not a main stealer. I get mine done every 4 years at a main dealer who give 2 year warranty on their work for the same price, although my car is a much older TDi golf than yours (maybe mine is more complicated to do, maybe yours is).

If you find somewhere offering you this work for half the price though I would ask myself why is it that cheap. They're cutting corners somewhere...
Original Poster
Hallsie4 m ago

The waterpump and cambelt sounds a little on the high side to me assuming …The waterpump and cambelt sounds a little on the high side to me assuming this is an independent garage and not a main stealer. I get mine done every 4 years at a main dealer who give 2 year warranty on their work for the same price, although my car is a much older TDi golf than yours (maybe mine is more complicated to do, maybe yours is).If you find somewhere offering you this work for half the price though I would ask myself why is it that cheap. They're cutting corners somewhere...

Thanks very helpful. Yes it's an independent garage. I should really get a quote elsewhere (just haven't found the time!) and see but I have always been happy with them. Just never needed much doing to the car apart from the odd lightbulb change.
Edited by: "jsophiex" 22nd Jan
never paid more than 250 for cambelt + pump
full brakes swap 100 (or do it myself in 40min)
shocks 200
thats my local indie garage

honestly look at the prices of parts and check how much they charge for everything else. unless they use genuine parts then maybe
It doesn't seem too bad, really depends on the parts used.
It is just good practice to change the water pump when doing the cambelt. At 65k it could well be at the recommended milege for a change. If the belt snaps £390 Would have seemed cheep especially if your engine can bend valves. The parts alone could be £150. Perhaps ask a main dealer for their price to see if you're getting a good deal.
Again for the other parts it really depends on cost of parts used. Also ask them to show you why they should be replaced as this may make you feel more comfortable as to why the work is required.
Original Poster
mattsk5 m ago

never paid more than 250 for cambelt + pumpfull brakes swap 100 (or do it …never paid more than 250 for cambelt + pumpfull brakes swap 100 (or do it myself in 40min)shocks 200thats my local indie garagehonestly look at the prices of parts and check how much they charge for everything else. unless they use genuine parts then maybe

Thank you, I have no idea about cars and what I should be looking for.
I will ask if they are genuine parts.
They do have a good reputation around here and are always recommended.
jsophiex8 m ago

Thanks very helpful. Yes it's an independent garage. I should really get a …Thanks very helpful. Yes it's an independent garage. I should really get a quote elsewhere (just haven't found the time!) and see but I have always been happy with them. Just never needed much doing to the car apart from the odd lightbulb change.

VW current price for a cambelt is £499 which is about £100 more that it was when we had ours done a few years ago but often dealers have offers on. Its one of those things that you shouldn't let get to the mileage that the manufactures suggest and at 65K I would be looking for it to be done as soon as possible as having it snap isn't worth thinking about. have a call around, you probably have a good local independent VW garage that can do it cheaper but as its ten years old a good back street garage would also be good. Check what your advisories for your MOT were, if the shocks and brakes were close they could be mentioned on there, but get the cam changed as soon as possible if its never been done before.
Original Poster
hubcms7 m ago

It doesn't seem too bad, really depends on the parts used.It is just good …It doesn't seem too bad, really depends on the parts used.It is just good practice to change the water pump when doing the cambelt. At 65k it could well be at the recommended milege for a change. If the belt snaps £390 Would have seemed cheep especially if your engine can bend valves. The parts alone could be £150. Perhaps ask a main dealer for their price to see if you're getting a good deal.Again for the other parts it really depends on cost of parts used. Also ask them to show you why they should be replaced as this may make you feel more comfortable as to why the work is required.

I will double check what parts are used. Yes, he did mention that if the cam/pump were to go, it could go now or I might still get a few more years out of it but it would be very costly to fix.
Thanks for your help!
Original Poster
Thanks all - always happy with the help from
HOTUK members!
I will go ahead and book I think.
jsophiex15 m ago

Thanks all - always happy with the help fromHOTUK members! I will go ahead …Thanks all - always happy with the help fromHOTUK members! I will go ahead and book I think.

Once you get the answer regarding parts used come back and let us know. We will be able to tell you if you are being ripped off.
Looks reasonable to me.

Cambelt prices are very dependent on the install - some cars are easy, some very time consuming - Ive no idea about your car, but I'd say £400 - £500 is a typical cost and you should replace things like water pumps if they run on the cambelt.

I'd expect the belt kit to be continental, gates or dayco - they are the main manufacturers.

Suspension and brakes seem reasonable prices too. I don't see how any garage can change disks and pads for £100 as claimed by one poster. not with 20% vat and business overheads.
Edited by: "mas99" 22nd Jan
A tad on the high side but if it's a trustworthy garage it's probably worth it, Providing they're genuine oem parts.

I would definitely make sure brake pads are OEM too, My last two cars have had brake pad rattle when using aftermarket pads, They weren't cheap ones either, They were Brembo on one and another quality brand on the other. Ended up changing them again to oem ones which resolved the problems!. Hence will only buy oem ones in the future!.
They are asking double the price.
mas9919 m ago

Looks reasonable to me.Cambelt prices are very dependent on the install - …Looks reasonable to me.Cambelt prices are very dependent on the install - some cars are easy, some very time consuming - Ive no idea about your car, but I'd say £400 - £500 is a typical cost and you should replace things like water pumps if they run on the cambelt.I'd expect the belt kit to be continental, gates or dayco - they are the main manufacturers.Suspension and brakes seem reasonable prices too. I don't see how any garage can change disks and pads for £100 as claimed by one poster. not with 20% vat and business overheads.

would you like the receipts as proof?

but lets do some simple calculations... for my car (seat) brembo pads and discs are 60-70 quid on ECP, that leaves 30-40 quid labour charge
I can replace pads and brakes myself in 40 min. how long do you think it will take an experienced mechanic to do the same job?
if you willing to pay stealer prices for labour no wonder you feel everything else is too cheap.
mattsk54 m ago

would you like the receipts as proof?but lets do some simple …would you like the receipts as proof?but lets do some simple calculations... for my car (seat) brembo pads and discs are 60-70 quid on ECP, that leaves 30-40 quid labour chargeI can replace pads and brakes myself in 40 min. how long do you think it will take an experienced mechanic to do the same job?if you willing to pay stealer prices for labour no wonder you feel everything else is too cheap.

I generally do stuff myself or get a friend to do it for me so I'm well aware of how much can be saved by not going to a garage or dealer. OP isn't in that position.

I've no idea what car you have but its a long time since its been possible for me to buy a pair of decent quality disks and a set of pads for any car I've owned for much less than £100.

Similarly I'd expect a set of shocks and springs to be getting on for £100 a side.

Prices quoted by the OP seem perfectly reasonable for a garage in the south east. Sure, cheaper if a mobile mechanic or one man backstreet place.

The reality of business is that when you are putting 20% vat on top and you have business overheads then that results in prices.

Don't get so upset about it.
eslick2 h, 20 m ago

VW current price for a cambelt is £499 which is about £100 more that it w …VW current price for a cambelt is £499 which is about £100 more that it was when we had ours done a few years ago but often dealers have offers on. Its one of those things that you shouldn't let get to the mileage that the manufactures suggest and at 65K I would be looking for it to be done as soon as possible as having it snap isn't worth thinking about. have a call around, you probably have a good local independent VW garage that can do it cheaper but as its ten years old a good back street garage would also be good. Check what your advisories for your MOT were, if the shocks and brakes were close they could be mentioned on there, but get the cam changed as soon as possible if its never been done before.

I second the bit about dealer offers!! They quite often knock it down £100, so far, touch wood, I have always hit an offer period or been very close to one just ending which they have honoured for me.
mas9930 m ago

I generally do stuff myself or get a friend to do it for me so I'm well …I generally do stuff myself or get a friend to do it for me so I'm well aware of how much can be saved by not going to a garage or dealer. OP isn't in that position.I've no idea what car you have but its a long time since its been possible for me to buy a pair of decent quality disks and a set of pads for any car I've owned for much less than £100.Similarly I'd expect a set of shocks and springs to be getting on for £100 a side.Prices quoted by the OP seem perfectly reasonable for a garage in the south east. Sure, cheaper if a mobile mechanic or one man backstreet place.The reality of business is that when you are putting 20% vat on top and you have business overheads then that results in prices.Don't get so upset about it.

seriously?

just found a standard 2010 golf TDI reg number
went on ECP, found Brembo pads and discs
total 77quid

2x shock 129 shach or 144 for bilstein

I think you need to learn how to shop

that would mean the garage charges over 80quid labour per hour (assuming they will take an hour to fit brakes and shocks)

PS> prices for parts are with VAT
Edited by: "mattsk" 22nd Jan
Things people generally don't consider about garage overheads.
Building cost ie their overheads, rent, heating, rates etc
Staff costs including pension and holiday.
Cost of ramps, spanners etc
Public liability.
Then VAT
I know this because I own a garage.
This is why yout get to £60 an hour.
Apart from the cambelt I would do the rest myself in one weekend. I did change my springs and bra/discs. To change the shocker it would be easier. as you need do take them off to change the springs.

Probably would take me hours and one seized part would cause more delays... but then at the end you get that MACHO satisfaction that you fixed your own car.
mattsk7 h, 14 m ago

never paid more than 250 for cambelt + pumpfull brakes swap 100 (or do it …never paid more than 250 for cambelt + pumpfull brakes swap 100 (or do it myself in 40min)shocks 200thats my local indie garagehonestly look at the prices of parts and check how much they charge for everything else. unless they use genuine parts then maybe

Cambelt and water pump change on a fiesta for £250?
Original Poster
Honest John got back to me. He said fair prices. Just need to speak to garage. Thanks again for all the advice!
Prices seem reasonable. The cam belt and pump is reflective of the labour hours it’ll take to fit them rather than parts. Some cars are easier to work on than others, the 1.6 engine is quite tight in the body from memory.
cmdr_elito2 m ago

Prices seem reasonable. The cam belt and pump is reflective of the labour …Prices seem reasonable. The cam belt and pump is reflective of the labour hours it’ll take to fit them rather than parts. Some cars are easier to work on than others, the 1.6 engine is quite tight in the body from memory.

I would do the brakes and discs myself. You can buy discs and pads for around £95 (maybe less with a promo code). Front shocks are a pain to do so let them do that along with the cam belt and pump.
Original Poster
mattsk22nd Jan

Once you get the answer regarding parts used come back and let us know. We …Once you get the answer regarding parts used come back and let us know. We will be able to tell you if you are being ripped off.

Yes genuine VW parts are used.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants