Expired

Any Car Mechanics on here ??? Need advice please for a Ford Focus ST170

Found 22nd Feb 2012
Hi guys

I've got an ST170 2003 model mk1

I have a problem with the clutch, it clicks when you lift off the pedal after it being fully depressed

I've been in all sorts of funny angles upside down with my head stuck in the foot well trying to push on the clutch then releasing it to listen for the sound and where it's coming from. I don't think the system needs bled either.....but haven't tried it

Tried the Lithium white spray grease on all moving parts and it's def not that, I have went an ordered a new Master Cylinder as I think that's where the problem exists.

Also to note, when working the clutch and braking you can feel the clicks through the brake pedal also.....it's so annoying

I was wondering if anyone else experienced this same problem and is the Master Cylinder the root problem ??

I have uploaded a video of the clicking to let you all hear

31 Comments

found this and cut from another site:

There is also a problem with the engine air shutoff valve. As I understand it the valve can stick and the actuator will keep trying to move it. Sounds like a loud clicking coming from the middle of the dashboard, mainly when lifting off with the right foot.
Edited by: "SouthParkFan" 22nd Feb 2012

I had a similar problem not long ago and i am afraid i had to change the clutch.

Probably a worn clutch quadrant, if they still fit them on newer stuff?. Its like a ratchet that self adjusts the clutch.

Edit, just noticed you said its hydraulic, scrap what I said then.

http://www.classicsagogo.co.uk/acatalog/clutch_quadrant_02.jpg

Original Poster

SouthParkFan

mainly when lifting off with the right foot.

thanks for your help.....but I don't change gears with my right foot lol

the noise is from the foot well as I've been down there already

Original Poster

I have been reading up on loads, and asked on a few forums

I came to the conclusion it was either the slave cylinder or master

Hopefully it's just something easy to fix

Have read the Haynes and there isn't anything like that behind the clutch pedal, its the master cylinder, a spring bolts etc then the 2 feeds go off to the reservoir
Edited by: "saxo_appeal" 22nd Feb 2012

fix is called the volume on the car stereo fixs all sorts of squeaks and knocks on my focus

Original Poster

lol

Only problem is I 'feel' the click vibration on the pedal every time, so no matter how much the volume is increased....I know it's still there

Turn the stereo up!

/gets coat

Worn thrust bearing.

gavjbrown

Probably a worn clutch quadrant, if they still fit them on newer stuff?. … Probably a worn clutch quadrant, if they still fit them on newer stuff?. Its like a ratchet that self adjusts the clutch. Edit, just noticed you said its hydraulic, scrap what I said then.

grrr evil things those, bain of my life changing those whilst hanging upside under the dash ! not recommended doing with a hangover !

as for the noise saxo, I've listened to the sound clip & its hard to say what is causing it without getting in there myself, I've not come across it myself, might be worth giving you local ford dealer a ring, there may have been a recall or fix for the problem your describing, it would annoy me, so I would hunt it down till it stopped.

Original Poster

dga, nope haven't pulled anything out mate

That's the diagram from the Haynes manual

If it is that part and it's within the Master cylinder I'm glad I purchased the part

the part I bought was this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/djbex/piccy.jpg

Banned

Is that your foot?

Original Poster

....... In the video? yes why lol

saxo_appeal

thanks for your help.....but I don't change gears with my right foot lol … thanks for your help.....but I don't change gears with my right foot lol :)the noise is from the foot well as I've been down there already

Sorry was taken from a french site

Banned

saxo_appeal

....... In the video? yes why lol

No reason its a nice foot is all X)

Original Poster

Why thank you

Original Poster

Nope the rubber is equal

I would have thought if it was the pivot then I would hear the noise as the clutch was being pressed as well as being depressed. I think it's something that's happening within where the piston is that moves up and down with the pedal, as the pedal is depressed the plastic bit that pushes down is bent

I could be wrong though lol

Original Poster

I'm going to get the garage to do it though

I'm not too keen on having to remove the steering column myself

Hate annoying car problems like this.

Luckly i can just make a phone call to my borther in law who has his own garage so we swap cars for the day and he works out what the noise etc is and fixes it!

Original Poster

Ask him what my noise is from the video ?? haha

alright, I too hate niggly noises, squeaks creeks and whatever irritating noises in cars too. I haven't driven my car for about five years it's been sorned off road just cycling from a to b at the moment; I'm poor
I used to work for a car rental company a few years ago and I noticed that all of the mondeos had the same clicking noise like something was loose with the clutch and after all i mean all were the same just assumed that this is normal.
The focuses and fiestas didn't do this however. Maybe because the st focus has a larger engine, maybe the drivetrain is similar to the parts used in a Mondeo? then I suppose in which case maybe this is normal, I know it's rubbish but maybe that's the way it is.

Also the car that I have; a mk 3 golf vr6 has the very same problem; a godamn irritating noise from the clutch when released exactly the same as the mondeo and I'm sure the same as the focus st problem.. Maybe any early 2000 mondeo owners can shed some light on this?

it sounds like the logo falling off your trainers

I know the noise/feeling you mean; not like in the video where it is clicking/ratcheting on the way up but more like it is snatching/jerking at almost fully released stage.

it sounds like the logo falling off your trainers

ha ha, what are you trying to say about ford drivers?
Edited by: "slevinkelevra" 23rd Feb 2012

Original Poster

Managed to finally get my mate (used to be a mechanic) to pop round

He has said it's nothing to do with the Master Cylinder (order is now being sent back) FordpartsUk want a 20% handling charge.....ok then

It's apparently the pivot, he pressed the clutch pedal to the right and there was no clicks, although when he did the same and the pedal was to the left, it creaked like a mutha ......

Finally know what is the problem
Edited by: "saxo_appeal" 26th Feb 2012

well I guess the solution is to get an automatic

seriously though this is the trouble with noises like this, you have to pinpoint it before ordering parts, I had one on Friday,just as I was about to go home, the customer complaining of a noise from the clutch,they wanted it booked in to replace it, so after a bit of under-hanging dash aerobics, I pinned it down to a squeaky pedal bush, quick squirt with some spray grease & it was quiet as a mouse ! & they say the customer is always right (_;)
Edited by: "richp" 26th Feb 2012

Original Poster

Yes, he says it's a bit of a nightmare to fix but he'll give it a go

All it needs is lubricant to fix it

Original Poster

Yep cheers dga spot on mate, I heard so much advice I didn't what to believe lol

You shall now be my online mechanic guru

The guy is going to take it out and grease it all up, think that will fix it ?

You were saying 'notched', what was the problem with yours and was it easy to replace, f you had to renew it
Edited by: "saxo_appeal" 26th Feb 2012

dga

Never had a Focus do it nor have I owned any other Fords in the last 10 … Never had a Focus do it nor have I owned any other Fords in the last 10 years. Its just a lever with a single pivot and return spring, not the most complicated device in the world. People get too hung up on the details instead of keeping it simple, by unlinking the MC it really is just a lever. When I had this issue it was an accelerator at fault with comical consequences, what was that old Audi saying again (yes it was an Audi 80 TDi) (_;)

'tis true. we had a vehicle in where the customer had replaced the wipers, but found out they didn't work afterwards, so they took every fuse/relay out to try & find the problem, but it was a simple solution, his particular vehicle disables the wipers from working whilst the bonnet is open ! http://www.forumice.com/images/smilies/facepalm.gif sometimes a little knowledge is dangerous !

Banned

Reminds me of: Spilt drink on centre console, wipers won't trigger when water jets are activated, no spraying on headlights. Low fluid warning ignored, it triggers water conservation on an S-Type Jag.

Still it had me crapping myself over the costly mistake of drinking and driving...I should know better. At least I looked in the manual instead of running to the MD
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants