Any car mechanics out there? Clocks have gone??

Posted 21st May
Hi,

A friend took her Ford fiesta into the garage and the mechanic said her clocks have gone. It's a £600 repair the mechanic said. I've never heard the term before other than a standard clock!!! When I try and search this to help her, nothing really comes up.

Does anyone have any info or can shed some light. The mechanic said they would explain in detail tomorrow but I want her to be a little prepared.

Cheers, Jamie.
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

Top comments
Put your query in an email to letters@honestjohn.co.uk - DO IT NOW. If my repeated experience over many years is anything to go by, you will get a useful answer for free within 1 or 2 days. You may even find the issue if you search his website honestjohn.co.uk
Edited by: "ccnp" 21st May
18 Comments
Sounds like an issue with the Instrument cluster (the speedo, rev counter etc in front of the driver).
Fords are quite notorious for bad solder joints but they are normally an easy fix. I am guessing the mechanic is quoting for a new cluster but there are companies that will re-condition your existing one.
What age Fiesta is it? If its an older one (10-15 years) then an auto electrician may be able to fix it for you. A newer car will need a new cluster coded to the car.
What fault caused her to take it to the garage in the first place (given the ambiguity of the term used by the mechanic)?
Take it to another garage. Also call the garage and ask for further details about what the issue is surely that’s easier seeing as they know what was wrong with it.
Yes " Clocks" is a term used for the Instrument cluster, usually expensive to replace. you haven't given any details on the age/version of the Fiesta so difficult for us to say if thats a good price or not as they've been making fiesta's for 45 years....
Edited by: "Uridium" 21st May
Put your query in an email to letters@honestjohn.co.uk - DO IT NOW. If my repeated experience over many years is anything to go by, you will get a useful answer for free within 1 or 2 days. You may even find the issue if you search his website honestjohn.co.uk
Edited by: "ccnp" 21st May
And then go to a small independent to ask what is needed. You can then find the parts on a good car recycling firm site (scrap yard as used to be) and get it fitted at a sensible price

Of course there is always the chance that a good small independent garage, when approached by a man (don't shoot the messenger) will say there is nothing wrong or even its a quick re-seat of a cable to fix it. Garages are, very regrettably, notorious for trying to scam females.
Thanks for the advice guys. Literally the mechanic said he would give more details tomorrow. I wanted to give my friend a bit of advice so that she's got a better idea but good old Google wouldn't come up with much info on clocks. The car itself is 6 years old i believe. I'll do a bit of research on instrument cluster.

She said the fault was flashing lights on the display and things flicking on and off. Going crazy and stuff.

Really, thanks for the quick response. I'm sure it will help her not get screwed over. The mechanic said AT LEAST £600. I'll get her to go to a few more garages and get other prices or opinions.
Edited by: "jeh12369" 21st May
jeh1236921/05/2020 17:00

Thanks for the advice guys. Literally the mechanic said he would give more …Thanks for the advice guys. Literally the mechanic said he would give more details tomorrow. I wanted to give my friend a bit of advice so that she's got a better idea but good old Google wouldn't come up with much info on clocks. The car itself is 6 years old i believe. I'll do a bit of research on instrument cluster.She said the fault was flashing lights on the display and things flicking on and off. Going crazy and stuff.Really, thanks for the quick response. I'm sure it will help her not get screwed over. The mechanic said AT LEAST £600. I'll get her to go to a few more garages and get other prices or opinions.

Whatever would be said tomorrow. Drive your car home and think about it.
Did the car start? The only reason I'm asking is that I had my display flicker the other day (not a Ford), but that's because the battery was very low it couldn't start (car had not been driven for a month) Once I jump started it was all fine when running.

It's probably something else, but thought I'd mention it just from the off-chance it was that.
Assuming they say it is the intrument cluster, search for "Instrument cluster Repairs". If she can do without the car for a few days then get the garage to take the cluster out and she can then send it in for repair, then get them to refit. Repair costs look to be around £120-£160 range.
deleted1793489

Thanks for the advice guys. Literally the mechanic said he would give more …Thanks for the advice guys. Literally the mechanic said he would give more details tomorrow. I wanted to give my friend a bit of advice so that she's got a better idea but good old Google wouldn't come up with much info on clocks. The car itself is 6 years old i believe. I'll do a bit of research on instrument cluster.She said the fault was flashing lights on the display and things flicking on and off. Going crazy and stuff.Really, thanks for the quick response. I'm sure it will help her not get screwed over. The mechanic said AT LEAST £600. I'll get her to go to a few more garages and get other prices or opinions.

Just from what you're saying at a complete guess I'd be checking the battery first.. replacing if it is 6 years old. Low battery causes a heap of electrical issues obviously! Alternator if it is running...you can get car socket plug in 12v that shows voltage..should be above 14 running. Good vid..
Edited by: "deleted1793489" 21st May
Very true in regards to battery can cause loads of issues in regards to the canbus system, That could make all the electrics go funny etc. However if the car still started up then battery is probably ok.

You could get a second hand cluster off ebay and then you'd probably have to have it all coded up by an auto electrician or you could have it reconditioned etc.. They're really cheap on Ebay at around £25-£30 so that might be a better option. Don't go paying £600 that's ridiculous and probably counts on you buying a brand new cluster etc.. It's a 30 minute job.
deleted179348921/05/2020 18:40

Just from what you're saying at a complete guess I'd be checking the …Just from what you're saying at a complete guess I'd be checking the battery first.. replacing if it is 6 years old. Low battery causes a heap of electrical issues obviously! Alternator if it is running...you can get car socket plug in 12v that shows voltage..should be above 14 running. Good vid..[Video]

A 6 year old battery is likely to be ready for replacing and with folk doing less journeys due to lock down, an old battery will soon run out of juice if it's just sitting there etc..
I would recommend if you could take the cluster our, disconnect and use an electronic contact cleaner spray and put it back. It worked for my focus
Clock went on my car. Easy fix and only £4.99
40832096-pAsLg.jpg
Satan_Claws22/05/2020 07:44

Clock went on my car. Easy fix and only £4.99 [Image]

Too soon Satan. Now is not the time.
Hello! Well known issue and its simple fix, more for an auto electrician than an mechanic!

Here is the video showing the problem and the fix ,hopefully it starts at the right time! 11:38 and a few mins later the solder work done.

If you look up auto electricans on google you should get one local to you, about £100 for the job.

Be careful about buying a used set of clocks, if they have not been repaired they might well get a dry joint sooner or later. Best to get the ones you have repaired and you know a electrician has looked over it all and repaired any that are going.
Edited by: "groenleader" 22nd May

Sign in into FORD GROUP UK on Facebook and ask question there. Helpful bunch of knowledgeable people who love fords. Helped me a lot when my other half had problems with her Focus few years back. If there's a fault with the car they surely are going to be able to give you an advice (and in some occasions you can even find someone local to you there who'll be more than happy to help for the fraction of cost/provide parts).
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions