Any cheaper fttp deals than BTs £27.99?

Posted 18th Jan
Hello all

So my roadside cabinet had finally been upgraded to fiber today but it is fttp rather than to the cabinet. As such, isps offering a service are limited.
After an hour looking, the cheapest deal I can find online is BTs pretty miserable offer below :-

3390859-gfbOW.jpg
Rather than me spend the next week or so reading forums do any of you know of any better fttp deals? The bloke on websites online chat wouldn't budge on the price. I am currently paying £20 a month for 100gb of 4g.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

16 Comments
Depending on your mobile signal have you thought about a 4G router and cancelling the landline altogether?
dgregory118/01/2020 13:56

Depending on your mobile signal have you thought about a 4G router and …Depending on your mobile signal have you thought about a 4G router and cancelling the landline altogether?

That's what I've got. My 'broadband' was 1mbps so I sacked that off and bought a 4g router and plugged a virgin mobile SIM in it. The sim contract costs me £20 for 100gb per month. It's better than what I had but no good for downloading games etc with.
Edited by: "joncfc" 18th Jan
joncfc18/01/2020 14:07

That's what I've got. My 'broadband' was 1mbps so I sacked that off and …That's what I've got. My 'broadband' was 1mbps so I sacked that off and bought a 4g router and plugged a virgin mobile SIM in it. The sim contract costs me £20 for 100gb per month. It's better than what I had but no good for downloading games etc with.

1mbps? You need 2mbps to connect to Xbox LIVE Servers, Netflix, Now TV
Arto18/01/2020 14:09

1mbps? You need 2mbps to connect to Xbox LIVE Servers, Netflix, Now TV …1mbps? You need 2mbps to connect to Xbox LIVE Servers, Netflix, Now TV

It wasn't very good..
joncfc18/01/2020 14:10

It wasn't very good..

You would get better speeds using a usb dongle
I’ve just moved to Three mobile, massively better speeds than O2 I got an unlimited data sim on a decent deal. Maybe get a free sim and test the speeds first?
bit odd that you only got 1mbs dsl but can now get fttp , are you sure it is fttp or is it just you are on a market A exchange which no one else has equipment in
Plusnet say they will cover my exchange despite not being listed in samknows as present in there.
maddogb18/01/2020 14:24

bit odd that you only got 1mbs dsl but can now get fttp , are you sure it …bit odd that you only got 1mbs dsl but can now get fttp , are you sure it is fttp or is it just you are on a market A exchange which no one else has equipment inPlusnet say they will cover my exchange despite not being listed in samknows as present in there.

I live about 6 miles from the exchange hence the poor broadband. BT openreach have just upgraded the local cabinet to fttp.
I spoke to Plusnet this morning and they said if a cabinet is fttp then it doesn't tend to have fttc as well. The only isps I've head of which does fttp are BT and Zen.
I think I'll have to take the hit and get the £28 fiber :-/
Have you checked if you qualify for the £95 - £110 cashback and £80 BT reward card if you sign up via topcashback or quidco?

The cashback is not guaranteed, but the BT reward cards should be reliable, providing you remember to claim of course.

Can also be worth checking the broadband comparison referral sites to see if they have an even better deal..
Edited by: "melted" 18th Jan
maddogb18/01/2020 14:24

bit odd that you only got 1mbs dsl but can now get fttp , are you sure it …bit odd that you only got 1mbs dsl but can now get fttp , are you sure it is fttp or is it just you are on a market A exchange which no one else has equipment inPlusnet say they will cover my exchange despite not being listed in samknows as present in there.

Not odd at all, it should be standard these days. Joncfc is the lucky one. When they upgraded out ADSL-only lines six months ago they installed an FTTC cabinet in the middle of a fields a mile away so we can now get 20Mbps FTTC. Which is a a ridiculous service to be going to the trouble of installing in 2019.
joncfc18/01/2020 15:01

I live about 6 miles from the exchange hence the poor broadband. BT …I live about 6 miles from the exchange hence the poor broadband. BT openreach have just upgraded the local cabinet to fttp. I spoke to Plusnet this morning and they said if a cabinet is fttp then it doesn't tend to have fttc as well. The only isps I've head of which does fttp are BT and Zen. I think I'll have to take the hit and get the £28 fiber :-/

There are a dozen or more ISPs offering openreach FTTP packages now, and it is about the same price as you'd pay for FTTC in the long term, there just isn't the volume of customers for the up front discounts if you want to join the switching merry-go-round.

There are alternatives at similar prices to BT. For example Spectrum are also £28 a month, while Aquiss are £30 a month.
joncfc18/01/2020 14:07

That's what I've got. My 'broadband' was 1mbps so I sacked that off and …That's what I've got. My 'broadband' was 1mbps so I sacked that off and bought a 4g router and plugged a virgin mobile SIM in it. The sim contract costs me £20 for 100gb per month. It's better than what I had but no good for downloading games etc with.

Maybe consider £10/m no contract unlimted data via Voxi, assuming the Voda cellular signal kicks butt at Chez joncfc. Will continue at that price until Voxi graduates counting college.
ULTRAfast is FTTP, not Superfast. FTTP delivers 100/20mbps+ up to 300/30mbps

There is something worryingly wrong here and its the second time in a month someone has posted a question like this saying they have FTTP when they clearly do not have native FTTP. That is not being rude to OP and others. BT Openreach must be telling them outright lies - which is sadly par for the course when it comes to the poor old consumers.

It concerns me greatly because I am currently running a community FTTP project, having run an FTTC project 4 years ago, and getting this sort of result is going to lead to am enormous amount of upset starting with me. We have to take an FTTP service to get the £500 voucher which mostly covers the cost and the speed posted here would be a downgrade (don't ask. Just because BT Openreach say I get 50mbps does not mean I get anything like it. 30mbps on a good day and often down to 5-9mbps at busy times).

Anyone else running a project in the community partnership program?
As we said in the last thread ccnp, you're incorrect.

If all the links to other FTTP ISPs offering those packages in that thread wasn't enough, how about a direct link to Openreach's FTTP pricing page:
openreach.co.uk/orp…Q==

Openreach are offering superfast speed packages delivered over FTTP, not just the ultrafast ones. And BT Retail are selling it by offering a single package whose delivery technology can be either FTTC or FTTP.

All FTTP lines should be capable of the 1Gbps package though, as far as I know.

It sounds like you've organised a community FTTPoD install with the mandatory subscription for the first year or so?
ccnp18/01/2020 16:50

ULTRAfast is FTTP, not Superfast. FTTP delivers 100/20mbps+ up to …ULTRAfast is FTTP, not Superfast. FTTP delivers 100/20mbps+ up to 300/30mbps

Fibre to the premises/home (FTTP/H) and Fibre to the cabinet (FTTC) are how the service is delivered, not the speed, with FTTP you have fibre direct to the home, FTTC is fibre up to the cabnet, then delivered over the phone line for the last leg.
You can have Superfast essential which has a 40/10 SLT and it's still FTTP.

Ultrafast is classed as speeds over 100 mbps, superfast is classed as speeds over 24 mbps

If you really are running an FTTP project, have a look at this BBC Article to help with your knowledge.
_-Richie-_18/01/2020 17:42

Ultrafast is classed as speeds over 100 mbps, superfast is classed as …Ultrafast is classed as speeds over 100 mbps, superfast is classed as speeds over 24 mbps

Ofcom and the government (BDUK etc.) have both now swapped over to a 30Mbps minimum speed to qualify as superfast.
ccnp18/01/2020 16:50

ULTRAfast is FTTP, not Superfast. FTTP delivers 100/20mbps+ up to …ULTRAfast is FTTP, not Superfast. FTTP delivers 100/20mbps+ up to 300/30mbpsThere is something worryingly wrong here and its the second time in a month someone has posted a question like this saying they have FTTP when they clearly do not have native FTTP. That is not being rude to OP and others. BT Openreach must be telling them outright lies - which is sadly par for the course when it comes to the poor old consumers. It concerns me greatly because I am currently running a community FTTP project, having run an FTTC project 4 years ago, and getting this sort of result is going to lead to am enormous amount of upset starting with me. We have to take an FTTP service to get the £500 voucher which mostly covers the cost and the speed posted here would be a downgrade (don't ask. Just because BT Openreach say I get 50mbps does not mean I get anything like it. 30mbps on a good day and often down to 5-9mbps at busy times).Anyone else running a project in the community partnership program?

The last one was an exchange only line, so no cabinet to provision FTTC from. It makes sense to me that Openreach, having laid fibre to houses in the area to deal with the problem, would also make available equivalent to FTTC speed packages at the same prices, which would encourage take up and ensure exchange only customers no longer loose out.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants