Found 10th Jan
Can i replace panel in solid wood back door with a upvc panel?

Last summer we have the glass panel removed from the lower panel of our back door, and changed with plywood so a cat flap could be installed.

Although we paid a carpenter to do this, the plywood he put in is too slim and it's raining condensation on the inside.

I'm pretty confident i can take this plywood out and put a thicker piece in, and use beading to secure it like the carpenter did, but i'm wondering if this will solve the thermal issues and stop the condensation, or can a pvcu panel be put in its place and secured with beading like the plywood?

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Thanks

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
14 Comments

It is easy enough, but the thickness may be an issue..

PVC panels are normally either 24 or 28mm thick...

The best option would be to replace it with a thicker plywood..

What about getting some thin insulating material, fit to the ply you have already, then covering with a thin piece of ply, that should stop the condensation.

On a sidenote, also worth measuring the relative humidity in the room. Should be between 50-55% I believe.

Are the other glass panels in the door double glazed?

Original Poster

fred box

What about getting some thin insulating material, fit to the ply you have … What about getting some thin insulating material, fit to the ply you have already, then covering with a thin piece of ply, that should stop the condensation.

I only have 12mm left to play with and my concern with that would be if the insulation got damp it could make matters worse.

I'm probably over complicating the situation, problem is current ply to thin, replace with thicker ply .... wbp of course.

Original Poster

dothedealnow

On a sidenote, also worth measuring the relative humidity in the room. … On a sidenote, also worth measuring the relative humidity in the room. Should be between 50-55% I believe. Are the other glass panels in the door double glazed?

please don't go there, we've only been here 7 months through a mutual social housing exchange, and all the windows are timber frame and rotting, various panels blown, and the double glazing is only 4-4-4 and condensation rains off them as well. After we made a complaint it was found all radiators in the property were undersized and the boiler poor, so complete new boiler and rads were put in. All windows will be replaced this year, but external doors not due to be replaced until 2045. The new radiators have helped somewhat and i have to bleach wash the windows weekly to combat mould.... it's a lovely place really...... oh and the other thing condensation rains off is the letter box, i don't know if a plastic coated one would be better then the existing metal one for that. The temperature we keep at a constant 19 degrees with all window vents open...... a very lovely place lol

Original Poster

dothedealnow

On a sidenote, also worth measuring the relative humidity in the room. … On a sidenote, also worth measuring the relative humidity in the room. Should be between 50-55% I believe. Are the other glass panels in the door double glazed?

Sorry i rambled there..... the other panel on the door is double glazed 4-4-4 and yes rains condensation off that too.

And just ordered a Hygrometer which should be here tomorrow... interested what the humidity level here is now.

Edited by: "saintscouple" 10th Jan

Got a good one round my way called masters superfish

Personally I would replace the full door. If you can remove a panel by just taking the beading out it doesn't sound too secure. I couldn't sleep at night knowing that it was so easy for someone to gain entry to my house.

Original Poster

nokiafusion

Personally I would replace the full door. If you can remove a panel by … Personally I would replace the full door. If you can remove a panel by just taking the beading out it doesn't sound too secure. I couldn't sleep at night knowing that it was so easy for someone to gain entry to my house.

But that's common on most timber and pvcu doors with panels...... though the beading i think is only removed from the inside......but saying all that, a new door at our own expense is a future plan, whether that's timber, pvcu, or composite it will be whatever is thermally sound and the cheapest.

OK, a relative lived in a botched rental flat for a year or so. RH was virtually off the scale. Bear with me for stating the obvious:-
Air the whole place once a week minimum.
Do not dry clothes indoors.
Make sure kitchen and bathroom are fitted with moisture sensitive extractors where possible. My terraces bathroom has one, before this the floor was covered in 1mm of condensation.
Buy and run a mains dehumidifier, mine goes on manually when the RH goes over 60%. Currently off as its at 54%.
Be careful of anything that is stored away in a cupboard or touching an outside wall. It may rot quickly. My relative threw lots away.

Finally and most importantly, keep an diary of health issue's, RH readings, belongings spoilt etc. It may prove useful.

Cheap doors on eBay, an example. luck
m.ebay.co.uk/itm…RCH

and I've seen cheap ones in reclaim places and unfortunately burnt a couple of solid wood external doors surplus to requirements.

Good luck.
Edited by: "dothedealnow" 10th Jan

Original Poster

dothedealnow

OK, a relative lived in a botched rental flat for a year or so. RH was … OK, a relative lived in a botched rental flat for a year or so. RH was virtually off the scale. Bear with me for stating the obvious:-Air the whole place once a week minimum.Do not dry clothes indoors.Make sure kitchen and bathroom are fitted with moisture sensitive extractors where possible. My terraces bathroom has one, before this the floor was covered in 1mm of condensation.Buy and run a mains dehumidifier, mine goes on manually when the RH goes over 60%. Currently off as its at 54%.Be careful of anything that is stored away in a cupboard or touching an outside wall. It may rot quickly. My relative threw lots away.Finally and most importantly, keep an diary of health issue's, RH readings, belongings spoilt etc. It may prove useful.

I really appreciate your time in writing that, when we get the Hygrometer i will create a spreadsheet and record daily readings...... we live in a 2 bed mid terrace house, so will probably best to get one for upstairs and downstairs.

Thinking on those lines and realising a dehumidifier is what is really needed, would we needs two as in 1 up, 1 down?
The windows are worse upstairs, but the downstairs the doors are bad, not the windows?
Will have to keep an eye on here for deals on dehumidifiers then, so that will now come before the new door... and the list goes on lol

saintscouple

I really appreciate your time in writing that, when we get the Hygrometer … I really appreciate your time in writing that, when we get the Hygrometer i will create a spreadsheet and record daily readings...... we live in a 2 bed mid terrace house, so will probably best to get one for upstairs and downstairs.Thinking on those lines and realising a dehumidifier is what is really needed, would we needs two as in 1 up, 1 down?The windows are worse upstairs, but the downstairs the doors are bad, not the windows?Will have to keep an eye on here for deals on dehumidifiers then, so that will now come before the new door... and the list goes on lol

​i purchased Meaco branded dehumidifier s. The cost of running them is offset by bring able to lower the heating and not losing 1/2 your possessions. Keep an eye on stuff in little used cupboards force example. You only need one per household.

Other methods.
Keep the light on for 10 minutes after a shower to keep bathroom extractor on.
Same with kitchen.

Am sitting in a two up two down terrace at the moment with a downstairs bathroom at the back of the kitchen. No condensation at all, RH is 54% and temp is 20.9C.

Keep that diary of:-
RH
pictures of condensation, spolit belongings
Health issues
Copies of correspondence.

Best of luck.

You'll be amazed how much water a £100 dehumidifier can extract from the air in your home. Our home isn't particularly damp and we don't suffer condensation (except in the bathroom because it needs an extractor fitted, on the list of things to do this year), but it still amazes me how much this thing extracts. Also if you dry washing indoors, it massively improves the air quality as well as drying the clothes a lot quicker. Also creates a little heat and so helps to keep your home warm too.

Environvent Silent 100. Best bathroom extractor, time plus RH settings.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Gearbest Delivery Never Came - British Priority Mail1517
    2. Credit Card Debt Question...1118
    3. What is the best weight training app for iOS please?22
    4. Difference between these WD 1TB Black HDDs34

See more discussions