Expired

Any computer expert know of good deal???

10 replies
Found 3rd Jun 2010
My computer has died on me yet again and instead of paying yet more money for someone to look at it I'm going to splash out on a new one. Don't need the monitor or keyboard just the important bit.

Unfortunately I know next to nothing about computers so if someone out there knows of a really good deal would you like to share it with me??

I don't use it for very much, itunes, internet for browsing more than downloading (apart from music) and word and excel.

Any help would be very much appreciated x

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
10 Comments

I had a quick look but couldn't see anything, although you should try asking a chap called Agharta. You'll find him in the Deals section in pretty much any computer-related thread. He's a very clever boy. Very knowledgable, knows his prices and deals well, and he's a very helpful chap. He'll steer you well.

Just wondering though, what are your plans for the broken system? I might buy it off you for whatever can be salvaged.

Original Poster

Hadn't thought about what I was doing with the broken system.......might be open to selling it but would need to know how to clean it up with all personal data first............can you steer me in the right direction? Just fitted a new power fan thing (well someone did!) in December time and put in more memory at beginning of year so god knows whats gone with it now, might be something really easy to fix but cann't be bothered paying out for someone to look at it again.

Hello,

If you can state a budget then I could make some suggestions.

Some clarifications:
-You wont be gaming (Not counting flash games in the browser)
-You will be watching videos both online and offline
-You will want to listen to music whilst working
-You will not be ripping videos

Are there any "demanding" things you will be doing with your system regularly?

Thanks

J

Original Poster

no idea about budget as don't know even about this stuff but had thought abt 400??? might be dreaming there!!

No gaming, will prob watch small videos, always listen to music whilst on computer and only videos I would do anything with is small ones I've taken on my camera.

There's not much else I use computer for - thanks for your help

tinkers;8751905

Hadn't thought about what I was doing with the broken system.......might … Hadn't thought about what I was doing with the broken system.......might be open to selling it but would need to know how to clean it up with all personal data first............can you steer me in the right direction? Just fitted a new power fan thing (well someone did!) in December time and put in more memory at beginning of year so god knows whats gone with it now, might be something really easy to fix but cann't be bothered paying out for someone to look at it again.

Personal data is no problem - just grab a screwdriver, open the system up, and unplug and remove the harddrive. Tap a bare bit of radiator to discharge any static buildup you might have on you before doing so and do it when the PC's unplugged, and you and it will be kept safe. After that, it's a good idea to buy a SATA drive caddy from Amazon or wherever, and you can use your old harddrive as an external drive on your new machine.

Original Poster

dxx;8752213

Personal data is no problem - just grab a screwdriver, open the system … Personal data is no problem - just grab a screwdriver, open the system up, and unplug and remove the harddrive. Tap a bare bit of radiator to discharge any static buildup you might have on you before doing so and do it when the PC's unplugged, and you and it will be kept safe. After that, it's a good idea to buy a SATA drive caddy from Amazon or wherever, and you can use your old harddrive as an external drive on your new machine.

Cheers for all that......will give it a go. Is that all I need to do to remove any personal data? What kind of price would you offer for a dodgy machine???

Original Poster

dcx_badass;8752903

Dell do some really good deals atm, they've got a decent one for £240 … Dell do some really good deals atm, they've got a decent one for £240 (I'll link if interested). Only thing I'd do is upgrade the ram for £50 and you have a nice machine.

Thanks. Yeah if you could give me the link that would be great

Original Poster

dcx_badass;8754599

Here:http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=uk&cs=ukbsdt1&l=en&oc=D062304&dgc=AF&cid=5213&lid=122757&acd=905fa60a31bee058b8a8d1c78e2a4f2e6% cashback from topcashback aswell [small business site].Comes to £239, then Ram you can get a 2Gb stick for £43 from ebuyer, possibly cheaper elsewhere (or £60 [£50 + VAT] from Dell if you think that's the best option for you). E value code: D062304Will be a nice little PC, I'm using that CPU in my gaming PC atm and it's really good.

Thanks for that - I will have a look at it.

£319.99 looks a nice system for your needs and you would not have to open it up

currys.co.uk/gbu…tml

I may also would be interested in your system depending on what the processor is etc if you are selling

Original Poster

hutchir9;8757124

£319.99 looks a nice system for your needs and you would not have to open … £319.99 looks a nice system for your needs and you would not have to open it uphttp://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/advent-se2102-04833934-pdt.htmlI may also would be interested in your system depending on what the processor is etc if you are selling

I saw that one and thought it seemed ok but all that technical stuff just goes over the head.
Will let you know if I'm selling

thanks
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition63659
    2. Win a google pixel phone at Stylist1111
    3. win free cash32
    4. Win two star gazing festival tickets in the north pennines10

See more discussions