Found 4th Feb 2009
i have another problem with my new laptop

link: bargaincrazy.com/epa…915

i can't burn dvd for some reason and in "my computer" the disc drive is show as "cd drive",.............. but in the bargain crazy site it states dvd rw drive.

Any help is much appericated.

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
14 Comments

check the drive door and see if it has DVD R/RW stamped on it. If not then make sure you save the Webpage and get in touch with B C, also if no good go to trading standards

[email protected];4282247

Windows XP does not support DVD burning without a DVD burning peice of … Windows XP does not support DVD burning without a DVD burning peice of software. Install Nero? orhttp://www.letmegooglethatforyou.com/?q=free+dvd+burning+software

Should still be visible as DVD or DVD RAM in my computer icon

go to device manager (start menu -> control pannel -> system -> device manager link on the left bar)
click the '+' next to DVD/CD rom drives

whats it say in there?

edit - just realised its running XP so right click 'my computer', select 'properties' then (if i remember rightly) 'hardware' tab and the 'device manager' button.

bargain surfer;4282265

Should still be visible as DVD or DVD RAM in my computer icon

Nope. None of the computers I have here see a blank DVD as a DVD - XP doesn't support it standalone.

Original Poster

chrishill;4282274

go to device manager (start menu - control pannel - system - device … go to device manager (start menu -> control pannel -> system -> device manager link on the left bar)click the '+' next to DVD/CD rom driveswhats it say in there?edit - just realised its running XP so right click 'my computer', select 'properties' then (if i remember rightly) 'hardware' tab and the 'device manager' button.

it says HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T10N

Thw XP wizard doesnt burn DVDs, just get deepburner its free.

joew360;4282323

it says HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T10N

DVD writer then

Original Poster

bargain surfer;4282221

check the drive door and see if it has DVD R/RW stamped on it. If not … check the drive door and see if it has DVD R/RW stamped on it. If not then make sure you save the Webpage and get in touch with B C, also if no good go to trading standards

There is no sign whatsoever on drive door

Original Poster

chrishill;4282347

DVD writer then

as others suggest, i have to download additional software to burn dvd.

thanks for your help

joew360;4282348

There is no sign whatsoever on drive door

Makes no difference really, looking in device manager shows Windows knows what the drive is, its just that XP calls any optical drive be it a plain D reader or a DVD/CD writer a 'CD drive' for some odd reason.

You need additional software to burn CD's and DVD's, try deepburner as already posted, its free and works well.

I use IMGBurn, which is also free. Excellent little program for burning Images and files/folders.

[email protected];4282281

Nope. None of the computers I have here see a blank DVD as a DVD - XP … Nope. None of the computers I have here see a blank DVD as a DVD - XP doesn't support it standalone.

You're right and so am i.
without a disk in the drive the drive should be recognised for what it is.v V
http://i40.tinypic.com/demzvd.jpg

just get nero trial or something to try it
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition51460
    2. Magazine competitions - Issue 42 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk1515
    3. Win a Fisher-Price Think & Learn Teach 'n tag Movi @ Netmums11
    4. Win an all-inclusive holiday to Antigua, including flights!11