Any cycling technicians/enthusiasts? Boardman CX Team

Found 23rd Jan
I have a Boardman CX Team - it has a single shift for the rear and the front is a fixed 44T. Is is possible to change the front 44T to a double chainset, if so how much do you think it will cost? I will need a second shifter and relevant components too.

Bike is here: halfords.com/cyc…mes
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
5 Comments
Doesn't sound a good idea or sensible idea - amounts are rough estimates.

It would not be a case of just adding the shifter (hydraulic sram rival is around £185) and a clamp on front derailleur (£35) and then the front chain set (£100) along with cable as the range of the rear cassette with the chain would be likely beyond its spec. So then you are at minimum looking at the cassette (35) and chain which others have done. On forums though this has people saying not ideal as not smooth or precise which brings you to the rear derailleur. In other words the complete group set minus the one rival hydraulic brake shifter - buying a full group set combined would more than likely allow you to save that difference of that one component and sell what you are stripping as a complete to limit the total cost.

I like the look of your bike as it is though - be good for cross and very good on high cadence training - what issue are you finding you have - too much free pedalling at top end (not much you can do as 44t is most) or not going low enough for you (there are lower chainsets than 44t for this groupset) ?

N.B. hobbyist not professional for a few decades, others on here may have more exposure and guidance than I - but my tuppence - good luck
Edited by: "Bertz99" 24th Jan
Original Poster
Looking for easier climbing mainly. My legs are super slow as others in easier gears are flying up the the legs spinning fast. Best solution is to get a proper road bike and keep this as gravel / cyclo.
RBH2 h, 37 m ago

Looking for easier climbing mainly. My legs are super slow as others in …Looking for easier climbing mainly. My legs are super slow as others in easier gears are flying up the the legs spinning fast. Best solution is to get a proper road bike and keep this as gravel / cyclo.

get a smaller front chain ring and then shorten the chain will shift ratio across the board down in doing so and cheapest solution - believe there is a 38t available which you would feel easier on those climbs - you would end up closer to free pedalling when descending - bonus is keeping the spares from shortening the chain you have ability to repair a broken chain.

38T 11.6218.015.000 X-SYNC
Edited by moderator: "trimmed link" 24th Jan
chainreactioncycles.com/one…745

Would give you a 44T cog to replace the 42 on the cassette - check if the existing 42T cog is fixed by a rivet or if it can be swapped I'm not sure about compatibility - could always ring them and check

As said above putting a double on the front will be £££
Edited by: "mas99" 24th Jan
mas991 h, 11 m ago

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/oneup-components-sram-x-cog-expander-sprocket/rp-prod141745Would give you a 44T cog to replace the 42 on the cassette - check if the existing 42T cog is fixed by a rivet or if it can be swapped I'm not sure about compatibility - could always ring them and checkAs said above putting a double on the front will be £££

unfortunately for him the xg-1150 cassette is riveted (123 pins to be precise)

Still wouldn't kill that idea off completely though as if feeling brave there is a guy on you tube showing how to prise the last off and replace (even a 46T third party part available). Bonus your solution has it doesn't impact top end unlike going for the front that I linked above.
Edited by: "Bertz99" 24th Jan
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants