Groups

Any Divers?

So i would love to learn to underwater dive, however iv got no idea about how i would go about finding a course?

Are there free cources other than the royal navy course as i dont wanna be in the navy.

any info would be great!!

22 Comments

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/10/22/article-0-0118258000000578-825_468x370.jpg

Original Poster

im based in lincoln, lincolnshire.

What sort of prices are they?

They will vary for each diving school. Some offer discounts. You will start off at the base entry level of Open Water Diver. this course should set you back roughly £300 to £350 depending on dive centre.
    The links above should show you if there are dive centres in your area

It's cheaper abroad, going to get qualified in Egypt this year hopefully. Anywhere is cheaper than the UK but beware anywhere with the Euro!

You can do a taster dive for around £40 in Egypt which is good to do first if you've never had a go. There's no point paying for the full course if you end up not liking it.

Original Poster

Thanks for all the info so far, didnt really realise how exspensive it was to do this. I think this is gonna take a lot of looking into and alot of saving!! haha

Watch where you go in Egypt though. You'll get it cheaper, but the equipment, safety and skills of the instructors are not near as good as the UK. I'm going to Egypt with my mate at new year. He has been before and he's told me of some dodgy dive schools in Egypt. If you planning on doing that than I'll ask him if he knows any schools he would recommend. For the sake of £100 I'd do it in the UK. That way when you go on your hols your not wasting time studying, doing written exams and diving skills. The whole point is to go to Egypt to enjoy some of the best dives sites in the world, not waste time learning skill and only getting a few dives. Remember you first official dives (4) at Open water level only go to 10metres before you qaulify.

Johniemac;4929330

Watch where you go in Egypt though. You'll get it cheaper, but the … Watch where you go in Egypt though. You'll get it cheaper, but the equipment, safety and skills of the instructors are not near as good as the UK. I'm going to Egypt with my mate at new year. He has been before and he's told me of some dodgy dive schools in Egypt. If you planning on doing that than I'll ask him if he knows any schools he would recommend. For the sake of £100 I'd do it in the UK. That way when you go on your hols your not wasting time studying, doing written exams and diving skills. The whole point is to go to Egypt to enjoy some of the best dives sites in the world, not waste time learning skill and only getting a few dives. Remember you first official dives (4) at Open water level only go to 10metres before you qaulify.

]http//ww…php

PADI in Hurghada are one of the best dive schools I've ever visited, as long as they're PADI regulated there will be no issue.
    They also let you do all the boring bits in the UK and do your qualifying dives in Egypt which is a lot more fun that qualifying in a lake here!

lastlaststar;4929307

Thanks for all the info so far, didnt really realise how exspensive it … Thanks for all the info so far, didnt really realise how exspensive it was to do this. I think this is gonna take a lot of looking into and alot of saving!! haha

Have a go at your local swimming pool, they'll do taster sessions where you can just have a go with the equipment and see if you enjoy it. Fair enough you'll not see any pretty fish or turtles or anything but if you like it you can move on to the qualifying courses and then do it abroad.

That's a good idea. Do this first and see if you enjoy it. It's an expensive course to spend money on and then find you dont like it.

If costs really are an issue. Go to a BSAC club ]http//lm…sac This organisation is run by volenteer divers. The training takes alot longer (obviously as they are voelnteers) and is considered better by alot of places. If money isnt an issue and you just want it fast then go Pay And Die Now (PADI) only kidding, think both are fine organisations.

Both BSAC and PADI will organise try dives for about a tenner where you can go along and see if you are ok with the divinf before you spring for the course.

Banned

MinstrelMan;4929155

Well done! lol

Banned

Muff?

Original Poster

lufc_ginge;4929550

If costs really are an issue. Go to a BSAC club … If costs really are an issue. Go to a BSAC club ]http://lmgtfy.com/?q=bsac This organisation is run by volenteer divers. The training takes alot longer (obviously as they are voelnteers) and is considered better by alot of places. If money isnt an issue and you just want it fast then go Pay And Die Now (PADI) only kidding, think both are fine organisations.

Thanks very much for this website, Thats really helpful, iv found a couple of clubs in lincoln and one in chesterfield where my partners parents live, so im gonna try and contact both clubs and have a word with them,

As for money, well its an issue so i think ill look into the bsac option as im no hurry for rushing through the training to get it done and out of the way. :thumbsup:

IMO Egypt's been dived out and the marine life needs a rest unless you go further south, for a newcomer to the sport I'd recommend Malta cheap as chips loads of P.A.D.I. schools and dives ranging from marine life, wrecks, deep dives, shore dives and boat dives, but do a try dive first to see if it's for you.

Original Poster

Johniemac;4929125

You have to do a PADI course or equivalent and there not free. Where are … You have to do a PADI course or equivalent and there not free. Where are you based?http://www.padi.com/scuba/http://www.ukdiving.co.uk/clubs/padi/index.htm

spider1986;4929230

It's cheaper abroad, going to get qualified in Egypt this year hopefully. … It's cheaper abroad, going to get qualified in Egypt this year hopefully. Anywhere is cheaper than the UK but beware anywhere with the Euro!You can do a taster dive for around £40 in Egypt which is good to do first if you've never had a go. There's no point paying for the full course if you end up not liking it.

lufc_ginge;4929550

If costs really are an issue. Go to a BSAC club … If costs really are an issue. Go to a BSAC club ]http://lmgtfy.com/?q=bsac This organisation is run by volenteer divers. The training takes alot longer (obviously as they are voelnteers) and is considered better by alot of places. If money isnt an issue and you just want it fast then go Pay And Die Now (PADI) only kidding, think both are fine organisations.

I'v Gave you all some rep, Thanks very much for the help, really useful information. :thumbsup:

lastlaststar;4930644

I'v Gave you all some rep, Thanks very much for the help, really useful … I'v Gave you all some rep, Thanks very much for the help, really useful information. :thumbsup:

Good luck with it all. Some rep back

just got back from hurghada, got some new divers the open water course for £165 on top of this there is a registration fee £25 and you will need the manual £35 or you can borrow someones as long as they have the dive planner
    I did my courses up to instructor in the UK, wishe Id have done them somewhere warm with something to see. If you do the course in egypt for example you will be in the sea on day 3 & 4 so you dont miss many days and it is so much cheaper
    if you use hurghada ask for mohamed Kamel and tell him mark from North Wales Police recommended them to you and he will look after you price wise.
    I go every year, twice this year. If you are there mid october, I may see you there!

Original Poster

ADZ1478;4933633

just got back from hurghada, got some new divers the open water course … just got back from hurghada, got some new divers the open water course for £165 on top of this there is a registration fee £25 and you will need the manual £35 or you can borrow someones as long as they have the dive plannerI did my courses up to instructor in the UK, wishe Id have done them somewhere warm with something to see. If you do the course in egypt for example you will be in the sea on day 3 & 4 so you dont miss many days and it is so much cheaperif you use hurghada ask for mohamed Kamel and tell him mark from North Wales Police recommended them to you and he will look after you price wise.I go every year, twice this year. If you are there mid october, I may see you there!

Thanks i would definitly consider doing this. what are prices like for flights? and who with? and places to stay?

Also how long would you sugest going for? ie how long does a course take?

Sharm is very busy as is hurghada. both have good nightlife, bars and restaurants. I prefer hurghada with the new town and the marina area. You have got to have a go at quad biking in the desert
    The Marriot in hurghada we paid £400 for 1 week flights, transfers & b&b. this is a proper 5 star, some of the others are more like a 3 1/2 but all good and great for the . Try OTBholidays or Thomsons (bit dearer)
    1 week is usually enough, particularly if you get the usual stomach upset.
    The course is 4 days although you can do it in 3 check aquarius divers website for prices, They offer deals usually november to april which is considered low season. Air temp 2 weeks ago 30 degrees, water temp 22 degrees. November water is about 27 though, 100 foot down. Amazing
    dont do it here, its crap. I have done 700+ UK dives and not one has compared to any dive in the red sea.
    carribean and indian ocean is also good, but more expensive and I dont think the viz was as good. saw a lot of big stuff in egypt, 3 turtles on one dive, napolean wrasses, huge morays etc. etc. No sharks this time unfortunately. had a Marlin breach the surface above us twice in cancun a couple of years ago, incredible
    I reckon we may try marsa Alam in october, coming up great prices already
    Have a go, [email protected] love it

Banned

i did diving for the first time in thailand got my padi and loved it, went on to do my advanced open water in queensland australia

prices vary so much but it was pretty damn cheap in both thailand and oz compared with here

would highly recomend it, but its not for everyone as a couple of friends dropped out...,.couldnt get to grips with the breathing and felt uncomfortable
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Sad news about Barcelona24108
      2. I banned myself from HUKD for 3m, I saved so much money!2952
      3. How dangerous is Donald trump?26120
      4. Veteran TV host Sir Bruce Forsyth dies at 891718

See more discussions