Any DIY experts here?

Found 24th Jul 2015
I need to install a bathroom grab rail for my elderly gran. The grab rail will her lift herself in and out of the bathtub but I don't know which wall plug to use?

The wall is a plasterboard with tiles over it, what kind of wall plugs do I need without making a too big a hole over the tiles (such as those snap toggles uses) without comprismising strength of the fixings? Thanks for any advice.
Community Updates
Ask
27 Comments
The fitting info and fixings should come with the rail. The fixings are only as strong as what their fixed to, so plasterboard isn't the best am afraid. Fitting grab rails is not a job for the amateur, because if it goes wrong your nan could suffer.
yeah I agree if its just plasterboard I wouldn't trust that to hold.
unless you can find the wooden frame somehow behind the plasterboard.
As above, the ones that come with it. I did exactly this easily enough and I'm no Tommy Walsh. You will need a special tile drill bit but they aren't dear. Mark where you want to drill then put 2 or 3 strips of clear tape over it and start drilling slowly to avoid slipping.
TDog123

The fitting info and fixings should come with the rail. The fixings are … The fitting info and fixings should come with the rail. The fixings are only as strong as what their fixed to, so plasterboard isn't the best am afraid. Fitting grab rails is not a job for the amateur, because if it goes wrong your nan could suffer.

^^this is your answer, not a job for a diy'r.
ask at age concern etc, they may be available to get you one fitted.
find your local care and repair service. they usually offer labour for free for over 60s.. age uk should have a no. if not community occupational therapy can arrange and will be fitted for free. they provide such smsll adaptations for free. can usually be accessed vis direct referral from Grans gp or social services.
These will give the strongest hold.

You will need to make sure they are the correct size to expand behind the tile/plasterboard. Also a liberal helping of silicone on the back of the grab rail can make sure it doesn't work loose.

Ideally you wan't to drill into the timber studs of course.
can also look at other aids which maybe beneficial for your gran.
If the plasterboard is a block or brick wall which has been battened try and find the battens and go through them and then the wall. try and get hold of an SDS drill to help you, maybe a friend has one.

And always remember wood that is behind the plasterboard is always 400 mm apart so if you can find 1 you can find the rest. start in the corner of the room and measure 400mm and 400 again and again until you get to the place you want to start.
Should say some old houses use to go 600mm apart. And some cowboys do whatever. good luck
ho5dow

i always use these.Fischer Nylon Plasterboard … i always use these.Fischer Nylon Plasterboard Plughttp://www.toolstation.com/shop/p89407#item_detail

you seriously use them for grab rails in plasterboard over a bath?
Edited by: "chocci" 24th Jul 2015
there is some rubbish on here.. it's easily a job for a d.i.y'er. People automatically assume that because you're not a pro, you're incompetent.

you need to find out how the plasterboard is attached to the wall and take it from there. you can find the studs by getting yourself a really good magnet (a neodymium one will be just the job), and it will find the screwheads.

The plasterboard might be attached by something like Gripfill, in which case you will be drilling more or less into the wall anyway - just get some longer screws and plugs and it will be fine.

obviously, if it's just a hollow void you are wanting to drill into - then don't
Got to agree with Shukran56 Your best option is contacting age concern or doctor or occupational therapist/nurse.

Safety must be your priority and I see you're trying to care but please just don't take the risk
kjcoolcat

there is some rubbish on here.. it's easily a job for a d.i.y'er. People … there is some rubbish on here.. it's easily a job for a d.i.y'er. People automatically assume that because you're not a pro, you're incompetent. you need to find out how the plasterboard is attached to the wall and take it from there. you can find the studs by getting yourself a really good magnet (a neodymium one will be just the job), and it will find the screwheads. The plasterboard might be attached by something like Gripfill, in which case you will be drilling more or less into the wall anyway - just get some longer screws and plugs and it will be fine.obviously, if it's just a hollow void you are wanting to drill into - then don't

seriously? if u knew everything including "nans" weight construction of house (not forgetting the OPs DIY apptitude) etc i would still class this as a guess, don't go putting other peoples life at risk for no reason whatsover.
maddogb

seriously? if u knew everything including "nans" weight construction of … seriously? if u knew everything including "nans" weight construction of house (not forgetting the OPs DIY apptitude) etc i would still class this as a guess, don't go putting other peoples life at risk for no reason whatsover.

if you read my reply, I said to find out how the plasterboard is attached. that's the only thing they need to worry about. A solid fixing and it will be fine.

when people post questions about changing light switches, the HUKD population goes into meltdown and cries out for them to get an electrician.. it's not necessary..
kjcoolcat

if you read my reply, I said to find out how the plasterboard is … if you read my reply, I said to find out how the plasterboard is attached. that's the only thing they need to worry about. A solid fixing and it will be fine.when people post questions about changing light switches, the HUKD population goes into meltdown and cries out for them to get an electrician.. it's not necessary..

Indeed,I don't know what all the fuss is about,we may as well get rid of all the qualified trades,everyones an expert on HUKD oO
ho5dow

why not?you not just fixing a grab rail by a single screw. minimum 2 fix … why not?you not just fixing a grab rail by a single screw. minimum 2 fix point at lease six screws.assume the tiles are stuck down properly, it will be a really strong fixing point.

no way will wall plugs like those in plasterboard support the weight of a grown adult pulling on it
If there's brickwork behind the plasterboard (e.g. an outside wall), then Rigifix drywall anchors should do the job for you. Just search 'Rigifix'.
They basically allow you to fit something flush with the plasterboard, but being anchored into the brickwork behind.
Example from Amazon, but you can get them cheaper on eBay. Two main sizes, M6 & M8, with M8 being the larger/stronger of the two.
Edited by: "Spango" 24th Jul 2015
Hi I work in property maintenance. If u can put up a picture it will help. I would try and fix into what ever is holding the plasterboard. Either the wall behind or the stud partion. I don't think fixing into the plasterboard itself will suffice.
drylinepro.com/ I use this for dab and dot plasterboard onto a breezeblock wall. Not so sure about tiled plasterboard but they can take a lot of weight if correctly installed.

To all those giving advice of how to fix - can I ask what your reaction would be if it was your partner. elderly relative and the fixing failed? How would you feel then?

In most councils and some charities they have specific qualified staff who will assess the needs and arrange free fitting because they have a duty of care the average DIYre does not have the same responsibility.

And to kjcoolcat

when people post questions about changing light switches, the HUKD … when people post questions about changing light switches, the HUKD population goes into meltdown and cries out for them to get an electrician

Maybe because we care and we are responsible - yes it depends on the competence of the HUKD'er asking the question and the one answering but "what if" you gave someone instructions that caused their death and you was then held accountable? Could you handle the pressure then?

Everyone has a duty to provide a safe environment - it's the law (I suggest you read up on it).

I remember one similar question whereby the OP thought it was OK to put all the same coloured wires together in the ceiling rose - that to me shows a poor level of competence and therefore I told the OP I am withdrawing advice simply from a safety issue.
Edited by: "philphil61" 24th Jul 2015
All depends on the weight of the person grabbing it, for plasterboard i would use toggle fixings.
Edited by: "transit" 24th Jul 2015
philphil61

Got to agree with Shukran56 Your best option is contacting age concern … Got to agree with Shukran56 Your best option is contacting age concern or doctor or occupational therapist/nurse. Safety must be your priority and I see you're trying to care but please just don't take the risk

+2

If you phone your local social services department and ask to speak to the "occupational therapist on duty" you will get an appointment and they will come out to her house. They will carry out a full assessment of her needs and within a few weeks she should have as many grab rails as she needs and perhaps her bath removed and a low rise shower installed instead. They are excellent with this service and the items are supplied to her free of charge.
Try snaptoggles. They are very easy to install and provide an extremely reliable connection in these kinds of situations. i read a while ago that they are only available in the US but i am sure they could be sourced here in UK.

https://youtu.be/SC1ZuxuZ2PU

Hope that helps.
As most rails are fitted at a 45 degree angle even if you do find the stud upright with the first fixing the other end probably won't line up with the neighbouring stud so the rail is still compromised at one end !
I would second getting this done by somebody else.

I would give most things ago, but I think this needs to be done properly, if anything goes wrong and the handle comes off of the wall when she gets out of the bath she could possibly drown, get it done properly it really isn't worth the risk.
Original Poster
Thanks for the advice to everyone who commented I to call the experts instead. Better safe than sorry!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants