Groups

Any dreamweaver wizards out there?

Hoping someone can help me with this one..

My dad runs a small music festival in our home town. He get's me to do the website each year.

No way do I profess to be a web designer by the way and my knowledge on this is a bit limited but here we go..

When I design pages and view them on my computer offline they look absolutely fine. However, when I upload them to the webspace I keep getting this character all over the page:
    Anyone know what that is?? Why does it just show up when the site has been uploaded to the webspace?

Is it ok to post the link for the site here or is that against the rules?

Ta

13 Comments

Original Poster

Ok, my original post has removed the character, let me see if it'll appear here. It looks like this: Â

Did you copy paste the material from elsewhere? There is a good chance you put code into the mix.

http://www.computer-training-software.com/manuels/images/text-10.gif

Use the code button in Dreamweaver and try to locate the odd entries you should be able to remove them (delete) from this section.

Banned

Get the split screen between code and graphic, highlight the character on the graphic side and you will see it highlighted on the code side.

Simply delete it from the code side and re-save.

That should do it.

If they appear before £ commas full stops ect
    See if defining the web page text encoding to utf-8 gets rid of them.
    The code should be something like so :
    />

Original Poster

Have been using the split screen and can't see anything a miss!!

For example...

On the website when uploaded..

Â
    The main Festival venue is St Michael's Parish Church. This is a spectacular medieval building in the centre of the town. It is one of the largest churches in Suffolk and has a detached 100' tower from which there is a spectacular panoramic view of the Suffolk and Norfolk countryside.  Please browse this website to find out about the Festival events and how you can book your tickets.Â

Copied and pasted the code from dreamweaver...

The main Festival venue is St Michael's Parish Church. This is a spectacular medieval building in the centre of the town. It is one of the largest churches in Suffolk and has a detached 100' tower from which there is a spectacular panoramic view of the Suffolk and Norfolk countryside.** Please browse this website* to find out about* the Festival events and how you can book your tickets.

Seems like the encoding used in your deisgn isn't same as the one the server thinks it is. Try defining it like i mentioned before. If that doesn't work then not sure.

Replace the offending character with the ASCII code.

ascii-code.com/

For instance * is 42; (take out the space between # and 4)

Original Poster

ErrorOperator;8573873

If they appear before £ commas full stops ectSee if defining the web page … If they appear before £ commas full stops ectSee if defining the web page text encoding to utf-8 gets rid of them.The code should be something like so : />

Changed the encoding settings to as follows..

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll10/baconsandwichhukd/coding.jpg

But still not working. Weird that it only happens once the pages have been uploaded to the webspace and viewed online??

Original Poster

DragonChris;8574044

Replace the offending character with the ASCII … Replace the offending character with the ASCII code.http://www.ascii-code.com/For instance * is 42; (take out the space between # and 4)

It's not replacing any characters, it's randomly inserting itself into places!

Hmmm...

I'm looking at the source code now, very strange... No idea.

A little late coming in.....
    When I load the home page there is no characters, however going to the Programme page I see them around the £ symbol.
    And ther I found this:
    http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg311/vinnyabdn/Public/becclesfestival.png
    Looks like the encoding is missing from the meta tags.

Vinny

Have you got a link to this page anywhere?

If you copied and pasted the content into dreamweaver it can sometimes add characters so try deleting a line of content where the  is occuring and retype it manually. See if the problem occurs when you re-upload it. Also when you delete/rewrite it try and do it in the code option rather than the design tab.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Nintendo Ships Every Switch With a Hidden NES Emulator24
      2. EasyJet flights for summer 2018 (up until 2nd Sept 2018) will be released o…55
      3. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!553760
      4. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17826345

See more discussions