Groups

any elecricians in?

Hey all. Basically big bang and a flash from the cooker tonight and it went dead. Messed about with the trip switches and got it working again. Only problem is the oven part stays on constantly now even when the knob is switched to off i have to switchbit off at the wall

Any ideas lol

17 Comments

Hi lol, it's a tricky one but my guess is your oven has had it.

Best get a new one.

Hope this helps

Original Poster

pennyfarthing88

Hi lol, it's a tricky one but my guess is your oven has had it.Best get a … Hi lol, it's a tricky one but my guess is your oven has had it.Best get a new one.Hope this helps

Lol cheers. Annoying tho as its still working just wont switch off.

Should of gone to specsavers.

in my expert opinion, its broken.

what oven part the grill or the main oven, cause it may just be either the switch has went faulty after the bang or maybe the oven/grill coil heater has been faulty too

Heating element might have gone , not that hard or expensive (£13-£15) to replace on most ovens else might be a fuse under the oven which if it is integrated into worktop could be hard to get to. youtube.com/wat…z9M

you a appliance engineer, not really an electrician. could just be the potentiometer,I think that's spelt right. that's basically the dial bit. google your make and model number and potentiometer for the part.

phil2much

Heating element might have gone , not that hard or expensive (£13-£15) to … Heating element might have gone , not that hard or expensive (£13-£15) to replace on most ovens else might be a fuse under the oven which if it is integrated into worktop could be hard to get to. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOZZo8P1z9M

​if the heating element or fuse had gone it wouldn't heat up at all

missleading

Thermostat busted?

​all the thermostat does is tell it when its warm turn off, when its cold turn on. it does nothing until you turn the dial on.

Banned

Sounds like your oven earthed itself. New controls needed & probably not safe to use.

The control that selects the different options on your oven....grill, fan, top, bottom etc is probably welded together due to a fault with one of the elements. Hard to diagnose unless your there, and have megger etc. Looks like an appliance doctor or a sparky with decent kit is your way out of this....good luck!

1st two things, what type of cooker is it, I assume it's electric maybe fan assisted ? Also think very carefully about what tripped. Did the RCD trip or was on the cooker circuit ?

ukwhitegoods.co.uk/hel…ems

p.s. if it's a fan assisted gas oven then leave it

Original Poster

Thanks guys. Its a fan assisted electric cooker. The oven bit is whats staying on. The grill hasnt worked for a while kept trippin everything so dont use it. The switch for the oven is only a few months old as it snapped before. Cooker is a hotpoint creda

Think it may be time for new one sadly wil just need t keep oven door open in the meantime to use the hob lol.

Not sure if this is cooncidencs or not but theres a big scorch mark on the roastin tin that was in at the time lol

123batman321

Thanks guys. Its a fan assisted electric cooker. The oven bit is whats … Thanks guys. Its a fan assisted electric cooker. The oven bit is whats staying on. The grill hasnt worked for a while kept trippin everything so dont use it. The switch for the oven is only a few months old as it snapped before. Cooker is a hotpoint credaThink it may be time for new one sadly wil just need t keep oven door open in the meantime to use the hob lol. Not sure if this is cooncidencs or not but theres a big scorch mark on the roastin tin that was in at the time lol

​Keeps tripping?? Is the cooker on its own circuit? Please make sure you have a supply sufficient for your cooker before it burns your house down! Although if it's down to the cooker itself, just replace it, sounds like it's on its way out anyway

Sounds like it's ready to scrap, It keeps tripping but you carry on using it?, That's a clear sign it could be dangerous, Like knowingly driving a car with out any brakes. Your house could burn down.

Could possibly be shorting out, maybe even dodgy wiring to the cooker, the cooker has it's own circuit for a reason too and you really wouldn't want to be electrocuted by it.!

Original Poster

shauneco

Sounds like it's ready to scrap, It keeps tripping but you carry on using … Sounds like it's ready to scrap, It keeps tripping but you carry on using it?, That's a clear sign it could be dangerous, Like knowingly driving a car with out any brakes. Your house could burn down.Could possibly be shorting out, maybe even dodgy wiring to the cooker, the cooker has it's own circuit for a reason too and you really wouldn't want to be electrocuted by it.!

Inhad it checked only the grill part was faulty so stopped using that but i agree i think its time lol. Been delaying it as may be moving and dont want to drop a fortune on new one then find out next house is gas but i think my hand may be forced this time

123batman321

Inhad it checked only the grill part was faulty so stopped using that but … Inhad it checked only the grill part was faulty so stopped using that but i agree i think its time lol. Been delaying it as may be moving and dont want to drop a fortune on new one then find out next house is gas but i think my hand may be forced this time

You could always get a second hand one for now or just a cheap one, then sell it on when you move.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767499
      2. Bearded chat1020
      3. SNES Classic launches 29th September 2017 - Check for stock and pre-order i…4691427
      4. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…7301386

See more discussions