Groups

Any electrician out there?

I just fitted a 3 gang MK power socket which has a 13A fuse. The socket has 2 earth inputs, 1 live and 1 neutral. The cable in the socket only has 1 earth.

Now i have connected the 3 cables and left 1 earth input empty.

The problem is that 1 of the 3 sockets does not work. Have I dont something wrong in the wiring (maybe with the spare earth input) or is it a faulty unit?

I read somewhere that I need to take an earth cable from one earth input and into the other earth input to join them together??

Any help will be appreciated.

13 Comments

Probably faulty, However might be best to get an electrician to wire it up.

Yes you should cable in earth sleeving to connect all the earth inputs. But all 3 sockets should work albeit unsafely without the earths connected. Are you installing a K2737 WHI?

I agree it could possibly be faulty. Get a replacement and try it.

The two earth connections are fairly standard on MK sockets, both inputs are already connected with the socket body so there is no need to run an extra cable from the used to the unused connection.

From the MK manual - K781 WHI, K2657 WHI, K2737 WHI, K2746 WHI and K2757 WHI are fitted with two earth terminals on a common busbar to provide a double earth facility for use when installations require a high integrity protective connection as specified with in B S 7 6 7 1 : 2 0 0 8 .

I've never used these three gang sockets but could it be that the fuse just does the 3rd socket and that the fuse is missing or blown or that the fuse carrier isn't fully screwed in ?

RxTx3 m ago

I've never used these three gang sockets but could it be that the fuse …I've never used these three gang sockets but could it be that the fuse just does the 3rd socket and that the fuse is missing or blown or that the fuse carrier isn't fully screwed in ?

I thought that but reading the spec the fuse protects all three sockets. If one socket does not work I suspect the switch is faulty. Have a go at working the switch a few times - if it doesn't work take the unit back for a replacement.

sparkydirect.co.uk/pro…tml

I'd try replacing the fuse first

Original Poster

Ok ive tried turning the switch on and off a few times and I noticed that power comes for a second a goes again. Im now thinking its a faulty switch.
    Edited by: "d84rk_knight" 11th Jul

Sounds faulty or you haven't terminated the cables correctly you have probably screwed down onto the cable insulation rather than the copper , also get an electrician out to do this as it sounds like you have no idea what you are doing especially asking about the 2 earth terminals on the socket outlet.
    Edited by: "darksideby182" 11th Jul

Original Poster

Just got and fitted a replacement. Works perfectly fine now.

No it wasnt screwed onto the insulation because the whole socket would not be working then. Wiring was perfectly correct.
    It was definitely a faulty switch on one of the sockets.

All solved now. Thanks for you help guys.

Original Poster

darksideby182

Sounds faulty or you haven't terminated the cables correctly you have … Sounds faulty or you haven't terminated the cables correctly you have probably screwed down onto the cable insulation rather than the copper , also get an electrician out to do this as it sounds like you have no idea what you are doing especially asking about the 2 earth terminals on the socket outlet.

I do know what Im doing. I was a faulty socket switch. I didnt screw onto the insulation coz that wouldnt allow the entire socket to work. 2 of the 3 sockets were working.

Original Poster

Van1973

I thought that but reading the spec the fuse protects all three sockets. … I thought that but reading the spec the fuse protects all three sockets. If one socket does not work I suspect the switch is faulty. Have a go at working the switch a few times - if it doesn't work take the unit back for a replacement.http://www.sparkydirect.co.uk/product/1334/829/K2737 WHI/MK-Logic-Plus-3-Gang-13-Amp-DP-Switched-Socket-Outlet-/index.html

Did exactly this. Worked the switch a few times, it would come on for a second before going off. Replaced the entire socket and now works perfectly. Thanks.

d84rk_knight

I do know what Im doing. I was a faulty socket switch. I didnt screw onto … I do know what Im doing. I was a faulty socket switch. I didnt screw onto the insulation coz that wouldnt allow the entire socket to work. 2 of the 3 sockets were working.

Ok having to ask about the earthing set up says otherwise. But you DIY heros always know best lol

Put your tongue in there when you switch it on , the conducive nature of spit can sometimes free up a faulty switch. " I know what I'm doing", lol muhaha.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. I have a TV and internet11
      2. Google assistant notification79
      3. cheap glasses websites45
      4. Need a good courier - any help please :)44

See more discussions