Groups

Any electricians about? Funny smell coming from fuse box

I've recently moved into a flat. Place is nice, everything is great, except this fishy kind of smell we get from around the front door area. I can't pinpoint it as it is a small enclosed area and the only thing that is present is the fuse box to the flat. Everything seems to be working ok, nothing is over heating but this smell is annoying. Seems to happen intermittently ... is this normal? should I be worried?

16 Comments

Loose connections can give a fishy smell. As it is intermittent, start with light switches, bulbs etc, check for secure fitted connections.
    Oh and remember to isolate first.

I had a fishy smell once, it's the plastic stuff called bakerlight, mine turned out to be the little white cylindrical thing that screwed around the bulb that holds the lamp shade on, on the old style hangy down lights http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mGkZ7YFqAhAaooEBk18Fvxg.jpg
    Edited by: "ding" 11th Jan 2015

It certainly needs investigating, hopefully by a qualified sparky.

It could well be a loose connection as suggested, it could be causing over heating under load.

Most common place to start with is the lampholders in the hall or wherever you get the fishy smell.Make sure power is off and run your finger on the lampholder probably has a brown tinge to it
    then give your finger a sniff.Caused by budget lampholder,too high a wattage of bulb and slack connections.Replace holder and job done.

call ghost busters immediately.

It's almost definitely burning plastic of some form, could be the wiring inside the consumer unit or one of the mcb's...... or even like suggested above one of the light fittings or socket outlets.

Contact an Electrician to have a look.

Ask an electrician. Not a general consensus.

Is it an old fuse box with wire fuses or is it a modern consumer unit with MCBs? It could be caused by a cable being overloaded.
    Regardless don't touch it and get an electrician to look at it. If its old fuse box get it replaced with a 17th Edition Consumer Unit with dual RCD. Strongly recommend you do this and make sure you specify a 17th Edition to the electrician.

Good luck!

Original Poster

Thank you all for the help. I will call the landlord in the morning and ask him to send a sparky to investigate. The light I have hardly used in this area as the light from the living room spills over through a window. Thinking back, we did have the tumble dryer and washing machine both running at the time when this smell appeared yesterday. So i'm guessing that could be a factor.

I'll report back and close the thread when I have more info.

Thank you all again for your suggestions.

Original Poster

DistortedVision

Is it an old fuse box with wire fuses or is it a modern consumer unit … Is it an old fuse box with wire fuses or is it a modern consumer unit with MCBs? It could be caused by a cable being overloaded. Regardless don't touch it and get an electrician to look at it. If its old fuse box get it replaced with a 17th Edition Consumer Unit with dual RCD. Strongly recommend you do this and make sure you specify a 17th Edition to the electrician.Good luck!

It is an old style fusebox with blocks of fuses in it, but each fuse does have a switch on it.

I'm sure your problem is with the electrics, as people has indicated. It reminds me of a story I heard though...

For revenge against an ex, the girlfriend hid prawns around his flat - behind curtain rails, under carpets, etc, pretty nasty smell after a few days and very hard to track down!

Original Poster

Tony68k

I'm sure your problem is with the electrics, as people has indicated. It … I'm sure your problem is with the electrics, as people has indicated. It reminds me of a story I heard though...For revenge against an ex, the girlfriend hid prawns around his flat - behind curtain rails, under carpets, etc, pretty nasty smell after a few days and very hard to track down!

Funnily, thats the first thing that sprung to mind... i remember that story well. Thankfully I don't think the Mrs or I have any enemies that would do that kind of thing *fingers crossed*

Check the wardrobes, could be an old kipper tie being left behind. There's only two things smell of fish. Have you checked the girlfriends plumbing lately? oO

dereklogan7

Check the wardrobes, could be an old kipper tie being left behind. … Check the wardrobes, could be an old kipper tie being left behind. There's only two things smell of fish. Have you checked the girlfriends plumbing lately? oO

A womans plumbing only reeks after a mingin man has been there!! Fact...... oO

Sounds like you have a fuse box with MCBs retrofitted. Still sounds like it needs upgrading but didn't realise you were renting.

Are the twin and earth cables (grey in colour) going into the fuse box visible? If any of them have a waxy surface it means they are being overloaded.

Madferrit

It is an old style fusebox with blocks of fuses in it, but each fuse does … It is an old style fusebox with blocks of fuses in it, but each fuse does have a switch on it.

Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. 2 for 1 at Alton Towers this weekend?22
      2. Sky45
      3. Why do people scam on Gumtree?55
      4. HELP - am i being scammed on gum tree1521

See more discussions