Groups

Any Electricians in da house ?

Hope someone can help.. Getting a conservatory installed at present. It will have 4 spotlights coming down from the apex of the roof. The thing that is worrying me is that the electrician has "broke into" a downstairs plug socket to do this. He has used a fuse isolator switch to do this. I have a feeling that this isn't the done thing. If anyone could shed some light (he he) it would be appreciated.

TIA - MrTT

13 Comments

I am not an electrtician but an a-level physics student, i dont think theres anything to worry about as you need the electricity from somewhere, usually the closest working plug socket or the nearest light is the most convinient, the circuit used is a parallel circuit which spreads the load evenly throughout the whole part of the circuit, and it is only 4 spotlights it would not demand alot of current so it would not affect your remaining electrical supply in that part of the house by one slightest bit,

Hi ive asked my other half as he used to be an electrician and he says its fine the way hes done it provided he uses a 3 amp fuse in the spur. He's done it this way to isolate it from the household supply in case any moisture gets inside the wiring in the conservatory. Hope that helps.

I have a different theory,

The electrician has taken a spur from the "Socket" circuit because it was easier to do this than using the lighting circuit from the rest of the house.

You can ask him how much it would be to use the lighting circuit, the cost quoted will lead you to thank him for saving you a packet.

I have done a similar thing in my house, and have done in the past too, as long as the spur from the main has the correct sized fuse in it then it will be fine, just the same as plugging a table lamp into the wall socket anywhere in the house, and a lot cheaper and less inconvenient than extending the lighting circuit which would probably mean lifting furniture, carpets, floorboards etc. :-D

Original Poster

thesaint

I have a different theory,The electrician has taken a spur from the … I have a different theory,The electrician has taken a spur from the "Socket" circuit because it was easier to do this than using the lighting circuit from the rest of the house.You can ask him how much it would be to use the lighting circuit, the cost quoted will lead you to thank him for saving you a packet.

I have paid a conservatory company to do all the work and therefore expect it to be done properly and within regulation. As far as I am concerned I paid to have it done properly. This is my concern. Thanks for all the input - rep left for all.

mrtootough

I have paid a conservatory company to do all the work and therefore … I have paid a conservatory company to do all the work and therefore expect it to be done properly and within regulation. As far as I am concerned I paid to have it done properly. This is my concern. Thanks for all the input - rep left for all.

Doing it either way is 'Properly' and within regulation.
    It's just that one way is better than the other.

Banned

This set up is exactly the way my conservatory is set up. Its the cheapest option, but perfectly OK and standard. The firm I used are a top firm and the electrician is a friend of the family's, you dont have anything to worry about, just enjoy the new conservatory.

P.S. top time to by a conservatory, its their off season and their prices rocket down at this time of year. I bought in January during the cold spell and the price was thousands cheaper than that quoted in the run up to summer

Original Poster

just had guy from thomas sanderson out to try flog us blinds. Anyone care to guess how much. The conservatory is 4.5Mx3.9M. As a clue I will not be ordering from them.

Pricy for a guess, if you are having quotes go through quidco to Hillarys blinds and you get £20 just for having an appointment from them! Be warned if you are going for venetians and thinking of doing it diy its a nightmare cut fingers and frayed tempers all round (I did 7 last month!) Verticals are a lot easzier for diy fitting!

Bodge job:p

Just because sparkys do it doesn't make it 'good'. From a safety aspect it's brilliant as if a bulb blows or water gets into the light fittings it'll throw the RCCB rather than the MCB. Oh but wait, that means all your sockets go dead and your fridge/freezer defrosts. Oh well never mind:giggle: :whistling:

Other half used to be a sparkey this is what he says. Its not a bodged job.The idea behind using a fused spur for external lighting is not to cut costs or corners, but simply to isolate the outside equipment from the internal electrical system.If they wired it directly into the ring lor lighting rigs & you got a short in the outside wiring caused my moisture then the whole house shuts down. By using a fused spur, the risk of it affecting the house's electrical system is minimised because you have a seperate fuse in the spur & both live & neutral are isolated from the main house supply.The other IEEE recognised option is to put a seperate fuse/MCB or RCD unit into the main fusebox just to power the outside equipment giving the same level of isolation. Which option would you prefer? Them using a fused isolation system near the conservatory or selling you a new RCD fusebox plus breakers & the decoration & wall damage involved in putting the cable to the mains?

The main problem you will have is when it comes to isolating. You will turn off the lights at the fuse box and stiil have lights that are live. just rember to label the fuse / RCD correctly or there could be problems.

Original Poster

harlzter

Pricy for a guess, if you are having quotes go through quidco to Hillarys … Pricy for a guess, if you are having quotes go through quidco to Hillarys blinds and you get £20 just for having an appointment from them! Be warned if you are going for venetians and thinking of doing it diy its a nightmare cut fingers and frayed tempers all round (I did 7 last month!) Verticals are a lot easzier for diy fitting!

Many thanks for the tip.
    Thomas Sanderson offered me a discounted price of £14500 yes £14500. He seemed to think it was reasonable. I told him he must be having a laugh and was looking around for the you've been framed cameras. Bearing in mind this was more expensive than the conservatory itself.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. The obvious next step become Ken then become Barbie1423
      2. Shana Tova to all Jewish HUKDers1929
      3. love affairs1547
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767273

See more discussions