Groups

Any Electricians that can give me a little advice ?

Hi, I have bought a spotlight for my back garden & after twice being let down by electricians who failed to turn up, I've decided to try & kill myself quicker & do the job myself.

I've bought a 30w IP65 & then bought 10 meters of cable for the job.

As I'm not an electrician, I was going to feed the cable threw the loft & plug it in up in the loft.

I know most electrician would hard wire it,but I've never done that before.

In post 1 is the cable management & as you can see the yellow/green one is doing nothing.Is this correct or should it be connected to something ?

Yes I know the old question about "if your asking" you should not be near it :-)

81 Comments

Original Poster

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w88/tigerplank/IMG_0446_zpsiy81ivp3.jpg

its the earth and yes its important

Original Poster

shadey12

its the earth and yes its important

Is it supposed to sit as it does in the photo or should it be plugged-in to one of those plastic caps ?

I think it would be very wise for you to persevere with your hunt for an electrician to do the job for you.;)

Original Poster

Flogger

I think it would be very wise for you to persevere with your hunt for an … I think it would be very wise for you to persevere with your hunt for an electrician to do the job for you.;)

It's only a spotlight, what's the worse thing that can happen oO

WheresMeNuts

It's only a spotlight, what's the worse thing that can happen oO

​DEATH

That looks like a plastic body? If that's the case, it'll be double insulated and therefore not require an earth. That will be there simply because they used a standard bit of flex. Doesn't need connected to anything.

http://images.slideplayer.com/7/1674256/slides/slide_7.jpg

Is it Di light and marked Di or have Di in the instructions? DI=Double insulated.. Sometimes these factories use the same light workings in different cases. Plastic lights are not earthed but sometimes metal lights are earthed if not Di light. I have seen earth wires in lights that are not needed. If it's a Di light then just cap off earth as not needed. If you have a PIR light you will need 1 permanent live. A switch wire for on off. Neutral. Your house lights should have a permanent live and neutral that accounts for 2 Browns and 2 Blues, if new colours... Then you have a brown going to light switch that returns to light as a blue, this is because you have a brown and blue in a cable... The blue is in fact a live feed from switch and should have a brown sleeve to indicate its a live switch wire. That's lighting. Just run a wire to outside light, but it's worth adding a wall switch though. It's easy enough although if you don't understand then find someone who dose.

BeerDrinker

That looks like a plastic body? If that's the case, it'll be double … That looks like a plastic body? If that's the case, it'll be double insulated and therefore not require an earth. That will be there simply because they used a standard bit of flex. Doesn't need connected to anything.

Looks like powder coated steel to me.

Original Poster

wayners

Is it Di light and marked Di or have Di in the instructions? DI=Double … Is it Di light and marked Di or have Di in the instructions? DI=Double insulated.. Sometimes these factories use the same light workings in different cases. Plastic lights are not earthed but sometimes metal lights are earthed if not Di light. I have seen earth wires in lights that are not needed. If it's a Di light then just cap off earth as not needed. If you have a PIR light you will need 1 permanent live. A switch wire for on off. Neutral. Your house lights should have a permanent live and neutral that accounts for 2 Browns and 2 Blues, if new colours... Then you have a brown going to light switch that returns to light as a blue, this is because you have a brown and blue in a cable... The blue is in fact a live feed from switch and should have a brown sleeve to indicate its a live switch wire. That's lighting. Just run a wire to outside light, but it's worth adding a wall switch though. It's easy enough although if you don't understand then find someone who dose.

It's this light ebay.co.uk/itm…AIT

It does not look like that light. Those cheap LEDs come with a flying lead not what you have shown in your picture (as shown later in the listing). Is that a picture with the front taken off and the LED array moved to one side? If so then you have found that the earth is not even connected. The earth should be firmly connected (and electrically connected) to the body of the device, it is supposed to protect you should the case become live for any reason. In that state it would be illegal to sell that device in the UK.

Also (from personal experience), you will be doing the job again in about 6 months once the LED array has gone pop. Buy a slightly more expensive one from Screwfix, at least they come with a 2 year guarantee.

The caps cover cable joints and take both live and neutral to the circuitry necessary to power and control the lamp. The green/yellow is the protective conductor or earth wire which will be attached to the metal body of the lamp or other metal parts, check where the other end is connected. If an Earth wire is present, then this suggests that the appliance MUST be properly connected to the household Earth circuit. The instructions that came with the lamp should specify connection.
    If you are this unsure, then you should get a competent person to rig it up.

Edited by: "scottswaha" 25th Oct 2016

Original Poster

paul123edwards

It does not look like that light. Those cheap LEDs come with a flying … It does not look like that light. Those cheap LEDs come with a flying lead not what you have shown in your picture (as shown later in the listing). Is that a picture with the front taken off and the LED array moved to one side? If so then you have found that the earth is not even connected. The earth should be firmly connected (and electrically connected) to the body of the device, it is supposed to protect you should the case become live for any reason. In that state it would be illegal to sell that device in the UK.Also (from personal experience), you will be doing the job again in about 6 months once the LED array has gone pop. Buy a slightly more expensive one from Screwfix, at least they come with a 2 year guarantee.

This was what arrived in the post,so I'm not sure why you think it's not the same one ?
    The photo is from the back of the spotlight that I've removed the cover from.

Here is the manual

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w88/tigerplank/IMG_0447_zpscvlyssdb.jpg

+1 for the comments above, if you have to ask what an earth wire is you have got to question your competence. if you can't work out the fitting, what's going to happen on the house side of the wiring.

I'm an electrician for British gas, best thing to do, if you have small (5A) terminal strip (connector block) is take your 10m of cable strip it back, bear the ends of the live (brown) , blue (neutral) and put green and yellow sleeving over the copper wire, if it's flex just bear the green/yellow back, make sure you put the cable through the gland, put the green and yellow conductors into the connector block and tighten up, the blue (neutral) cut the ends off and bear back and out them into connector block and tighten, and the brown do the same, my only issue is, is it a PIR fitting as there is a brown and red wire there?

just seen the eBay post, basicly just take that cable out and replace with your new cable

Original Poster

andrewmclachlan1

just seen the eBay post, basicly just take that cable out and replace … just seen the eBay post, basicly just take that cable out and replace with your new cable

And OK to stick a 13amp plug on the other end ?
    I also don't need that yellow/green cable ?
    Edited by: "WheresMeNuts" 25th Oct 2016

WheresMeNuts

And OK to stick a 13amp plug on the other end ?I also don't need that … And OK to stick a 13amp plug on the other end ?I also don't need that yellow/green cable ?

I think a 13A fuse is overkill for a 30W unit!
    As said repeatedly above, you don't need the yellow/green cable if the unit is double insulated, if it isn't double insulated then you must use the yellow/green cable.
    Maybe time to get a sparkie in?

As said above remove the black flex cable already there , fit your new cable strip back cable and at the light end terminate as instructions state but put the earth into a choc block (5amp) make sure the earth is connected the plug end (earth is required for disconnection if you get a cable fault) also I presume you are clipping the cable direct with no other protection so hopefully the circuit is RCD protected.

Although I'd advise you get a Electrician in to do the work.
    Edited by: "darksideby182" 25th Oct 2016

I know a little bit about electrics for simple DIY stuff but as this is a new install which includes running a new cable, I would not recommend you do it if you have no knowledge of electrics. I wouldn't even attempt it.

Look for handymen who can do electrics as it doesn't have to be a part P qualified electrician even if the regulations may state so.

get a man in

Why not get one of those solar powered ones off EBay for about £15 ? No wiring and no chance of killing yourself . I've got two they are great (get the 20 -30 LED model). As previously stated - if you don't know what an earth lead looks like you shouldn't be going anywhere near electrics
    Edited by: "rogparki" 25th Oct 2016

WheresMeNuts

And OK to stick a 13amp plug on the other end ?I also don't need that … And OK to stick a 13amp plug on the other end ?I also don't need that yellow/green cable ?

​yeah 13a plug with a 3a fuse in it

just take old cable out connect new cable to the exact same wires and you'll be good to go, connect the green/yellow to the /green yellow, ( doesn't matter if it's double insulated if it's connected) , fit plug on other side and put a 3a fuse in it, easy as pie

are you serous, I'm a professional electrician I think I know what I'm talking about, if you unscrew the plugtop off there's a 13a fuse in any standard plug, you can change it for a 3a one

chocci

do they even do different amp plugs? oOseriously, you shouldnt be doing … do they even do different amp plugs? oOseriously, you shouldnt be doing this.

​please do not comment on posts you aren't 100% sure on as you could be causing danger to others who don't know what they are doing

It looks like an earth lead, BUT it could be a lead used for switching like in a house. Its not worth killing you or your friends for though.

andrewmclachlan1

​please do not comment on posts you aren't 100% sure on as you could be c … ​please do not comment on posts you aren't 100% sure on as you could be causing danger to others who don't know what they are doing

Try an English language course and then read what i wrote. Obviously you can get different amp fuses. They fit in any plug lol

Tbf, i meant to reply to the op asking if he needed a different plug for a lower ampage fuse hence i said he really shouldn't be doing this with knowledge this basic

Edited by: "chocci" 25th Oct 2016

chocci

Try an English language course and then read what i wrote. Obviously you … Try an English language course and then read what i wrote. Obviously you can get different amp fuses. They fit in any plug lolTbf, i meant to reply to the op asking if he needed a different plug for a lower ampage fuse hence i said he really shouldn't be doing this with knowledge this basic

​well I apologize, to be fair if someone's asking all these questions, get an electrician in or buy battery/solar lights...

andrewmclachlan1

​well I apologize, to be fair if someone's asking all these questions, g … ​well I apologize, to be fair if someone's asking all these questions, get an electrician in or buy battery/solar lights...

​that's why we get paid the big bucks, haha, I wish,...

andrewmclachlan1

​well I apologize, to be fair if someone's asking all these questions, g … ​well I apologize, to be fair if someone's asking all these questions, get an electrician in or buy battery/solar lights...

No worries buddy

Banned

Why is everyone making this difficult?

Banned

Live & switch live to live
    Neutral to Neutral
    Earth to Earth.

Simples

& plug in into the loft with a 3 or 5 amp fuse depending on instructions.

Banned

mutley1

as it doesn't have to be a part P qualified electrician even if the … as it doesn't have to be a part P qualified electrician even if the regulations may state so.

Rubbish.

If you plug the lamp in to a socket it doesnt need Part P

If you wire an external lamp into a circuit it does need to be Part P unless it is a direct replacement.

YouDontWantToKnow

Rubbish. If you plug the lamp in to a socket it doesnt need Part P If you … Rubbish. If you plug the lamp in to a socket it doesnt need Part P If you wire an external lamp into a circuit it does need to be Part P unless it is a direct replacement.

practically speaking, anyone competent in electrics can add a lighting circuit that works. not everyone who knows how to electrics and work regularly with electrics are qualified. just because someone hasn't got the part P qualification, doesn't mean they won't be able to do it.

Banned

mutley1

practically speaking, anyone competent in electrics can add a lighting … practically speaking, anyone competent in electrics can add a lighting circuit that works. not everyone who knows how to electrics and work regularly with electrics are qualified. just because someone hasn't got the part P qualification, doesn't mean they won't be able to do it.

Mutt. I know what I am talking about & you dont. Simples

Original Poster

WTF !!
    I could ask a question about knitting & still have people argue on HUKD's lol.

WheresMeNuts

WTF !!I could ask a question about knitting & still have people argue on … WTF !!I could ask a question about knitting & still have people argue on HUKD's lol.

Did u manage to sort it.

Original Poster

kash2013

Did u manage to sort it.

Not yet as I'm getting mixed info & in truth would prefer it in a circuit than up in a loft in case the worse thing happened.

Banned

WheresMeNuts

Not yet as I'm getting mixed info & in truth would prefer it in a circuit … Not yet as I'm getting mixed info & in truth would prefer it in a circuit than up in a loft in case the worse thing happened.

If you want to add it to a circuit you need an electrician/installer who has part p

Alterations in a bathroom, kitchen or external are subject to part p (with some limitations but not yours)
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. LG G6 International [email protected] droidauthority22
      2. Win a luxury eight-night break for two in Malaysia with Ushvani Spa and Tra…77
      3. mail on sunday comp - win a £3,000 thomas cook gift e-card33
      4. DICKINSONS REAL DEAL £25,000 COMPETITION22

See more discussions