Groups

Any english grammar experts out there ?

Can some please tell me if you use quotation marks " " around internal thoughts when your writing ?

I know if you put something like. "Come over here," Lucy said. The dialogue gets covered by the quotation marks.

But if you put. I wish he would come over here, Lucy thought.

Do you enclose the thought with " " ?

I've googled for a while and can find examples of both with and without ?

Anyone know if there's a definitive usage ?

20 Comments

"when your writing" ;-)

Not 100% sure, but for thought I would say NO quotation marks.

Quotation marks are alo called speech marks by some - so I think that's your answer.

Not an expert and by no means definitive, but I would always put...

"I wish he would come over here," Lucy thought.

It works in the same way as speach I believe.

stufai;4786890

Not an expert and by no means definitive, but I would always put..."I … Not an expert and by no means definitive, but I would always put..."I wish he would come over here," Lucy thought.It works in the same way as speach I believe.

speach, DOH!

punctuationmadesimple.com/PMS…tml

Just a thought, but I think that you would have difficulty quoting it. So I would suggest no quotation marks:roll:

Original Poster

Internal thoughts can be referred to as 'silent speech' by some sources so speech marks would seem to be appropriate ?

myaser88;4786901

speach, DOH!

:oops:

It's been a long day already...

Original Poster

Trickyjabs;4786881

"when your writing" ;-)

Great, good start ! I'll give up now :oops:

steve1221;4786948

Internal thoughts can be referred to as 'silent speech' by some sources … Internal thoughts can be referred to as 'silent speech' by some sources so speech marks would seem to be appropriate ?

Now that's an oxymoron if ever I heard one:thumbsup:

When writing thought I only use 'these' rather than "these"

How not to do itSetting off a character’s thoughts in quotation marks is a … How not to do itSetting off a character’s thoughts in quotation marks is a definite no-no. Such a technique is confusing to the reader. When we see quotation marks, we have the expectation that a character is speaking the words aloud.

dailywritingtips.com/dea…ts/

Original Poster

melipona;4786990

I'd have to agree. (link below, about a third of the way down the page). It is a US site and we all know how much they love to mangle the language...

grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/gra…htm

You should always use quotation marks even if the character is thinking. The way around this is to imply that the character is thinking the words ..... Lucy thought about asking Jimmy to come around for dinner.

Predikuesi wondered if this made sense to steve1221
    "I wonder if this makes sense to steve1221?" thought Predikuesi.

Banned

melipona;4786990

How about BSL?

steve1221;4786948

Internal thoughts can be referred to as 'silent speech' by some sources … Internal thoughts can be referred to as 'silent speech' by some sources so speech marks would seem to be appropriate ?

lol! Walking can be described as slow running, an armchair can be described as a small sofa, etc.

Predikuesi;4787119

You should always use quotation marks even if the character is thinking. … You should always use quotation marks even if the character is thinking. The way around this is to imply that the character is thinking the words ..... Lucy thought about asking Jimmy to come around for dinner.Predikuesi wondered if this made sense to steve1221"I wonder if this makes sense to steve1221?" thought Predikuesi.

+1 -- but it gets complicated when we think about the different categories of internal thought. For the bored or just curious:

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/1584/indirectspeech.jpg

starsparkle2311;4787754

lol, asking questions on HUKD and expecting a sensible reply could be … lol, asking questions on HUKD and expecting a sensible reply could be described as absurd.

whatever can you mean? have you been smoking dried parrot juice through a fork again?

Banned

starsparkle2311;4787754

lol, asking questions on HUKD and expecting a sensible reply could be … lol, asking questions on HUKD and expecting a sensible reply could be described as absurd.

Hmmm. I see what you mean!!!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

[COLOR="Silver"][SIZE="1"](Stands by and waits for claims of irony.)[/SIZE][/COLOR]

It depends on how you write the thoughts.

Lucy thought the red car was following her... doesnt need quotes...

"Is that car following me?" wondered Lucy... does.

HTH!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …189503
      2. 'Hard' Brexit offers '£135bn annual boost' to economy - BBC News1951
      3. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!523416
      4. Are these two things distinctly different to you?32156

See more discussions