Expired

Any experts on back boilers? Baxi bermuda making a booming sound.

Found 19th Mar 2013
We have a Baxi Bermuda back boiler, it was here before we bought the house so it must at least a decade old.

We have british gas homecare on it and have called them out several times because it is making a loud booming/explosion type noise when it comes on, but because it is intermittent british gas say they can find nothing wrong.

Its always noisy when it comes on, which is normal but sometimes (we notice it more in the evenings) it comes on without warning with a loud boom that shakes the house.

Any idea on what it can be? the pilot light is always on and they say there are no blockages as its regularly serviced.

I'm concerned its not safe but it also terrifies anyone who hears it!
Community Updates
AskBoiler
9 Comments
Could be the sides of the firebox expanding. No problem. Mine does it.
watchcote

Could be the sides of the firebox expanding. No problem. Mine does it.

it shakes your house?
doesn't sound right.. id be crapping myself.
boom boom boom boom

i want you in my room

lets spend the night together

together in my room
My boiler although not a back boiler used to do it when I turned the pilot light down too far. It would take too long to ignite and then go with a bang.
Boom shake, shake, shake the room.......

Tick, tick, tick, tick Boom!!!!

Have you tried ringing a plumber? Madness I know!!
pat915m

My boiler although not a back boiler used to do it when I turned the … My boiler although not a back boiler used to do it when I turned the pilot light down too far. It would take too long to ignite and then go with a bang.

As above the combustion chamber is filling to too high a level before the burners ignite causing a larger "explosion" then the normal whoosh you hear on normal ignition. Can be caused by a low/dirty pilot light or as I had to have done on my gas fire modified burners fitted. Mine went with such a bang the coals and the side glass panel shattered. Luckily when I looked into it there was a recall on it so all done for free.
Argoj

As above the combustion chamber is filling to too high a level before the … As above the combustion chamber is filling to too high a level before the burners ignite causing a larger "explosion" then the normal whoosh you hear on normal ignition. Can be caused by a low/dirty pilot light or as I had to have done on my gas fire modified burners fitted. Mine went with such a bang the coals and the side glass panel shattered. Luckily when I looked into it there was a recall on it so all done for free.

Thanks. Surely if there was a fault with the pilot or it was subject to a recall the engineer would have picked that up? Its serviced every year and they say it works fine, but this noise is awful.
Ours did this, very disconcerting, packed up in the end and we redid the new combi boiler placing it on an outside wall. Still make a bit of noise when starting up so don't panic
brilly

it shakes your house?doesn't sound right.. id be crapping myself.

Doesn't shake the house but it is audible at times!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants