Groups

any flowery people out there???

Just done my garden and it looks bootifull! But I need to put some flowers in my borders, I have quite alot of border and want flowers that are easy to care for, colourfull, flowery and that have flowers on them for most of the year and ones that grow back each year! what do I want to be getting??

28 Comments

weeds

Original Poster

dontasciime;4574752

weeds

just got rid of a load of them :roll:

How about some lavender? or margerites?

Original Poster

dontasciime;4574778

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/gardenprojects/3290738/The-modern-border.htmlhttp://www.expressandstar.com/2008/07/02/flowers-for-a-long-summer-show/

thanks xx

kimbo_frog;4574784

How about some lavender? or margerites?

mmmm lavender, right I'm now off to b and q! thank you xx

rosemary is ace too, smells gorgeous and is really hardy. xx

Original Poster

ClarityofMind;4574857

rosemary is ace too, smells gorgeous and is really hardy. xx

when I was at the shops earlier I was looking at packs of seeds and saw the word hardy on some packs what does it mean please? and some said other things, thought i'd better check hukd out before I bought anything lol

kirsty1981;4574866

when I was at the shops earlier I was looking at packs of seeds and saw … when I was at the shops earlier I was looking at packs of seeds and saw the word hardy on some packs what does it mean please? and some said other things, thought i'd better check hukd out before I bought anything lol

hardy means it is a lil more resistant than other plants. stronger in a way. requires minimum effort from you xx

also its lots easier to buy "plugs" than the seeds themselves , a plug is where the seed has started to grow in a little soil and u have a tiny little plant

Original Poster

ClarityofMind;4574880

hardy means it is a lil more resistant than other plants. stronger in a … hardy means it is a lil more resistant than other plants. stronger in a way. requires minimum effort from you xx

hardy sounds like the perfect plant for me then lol, thank you so much x x

kirsty1981;4574889

hardy sounds like the perfect plant for me then lol, thank you so much x … hardy sounds like the perfect plant for me then lol, thank you so much x x

good luck with it, hope it looks gorgeous for you xx

Yes what you want is hardy perennials - they die back and stay dormant over winter and then grow again - bigger and better the next year. You need to plant them in areas which suit their requirements.
    What sort of soil do you have?
    The medium to large hardy geraniums are very good plants - grow fast, long flowering season, often come again and good range of colours.
    Have a look on-line at
    J Parkers
    T&M
    Any googled hardy perennial supplier really to have a better idea.
    Shout if you want some particular advice.

You can grow from seed or plugs but you're better off with bare-root or pot plants if you hope to have anything much to look at this year. Depends on your budget.

If you can get some foxgloves to put in now they'll be great later on this spring and will self-seed.

Just thought I'd stick up a pic of my back garden taken from the bedroom window last summer - not a very good one, as every single gardener would say - you should have seen it in June.;-)
    http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii78/chesso_photos/garden10thJuly08.jpg

Wow

how many acres do you have

looks lovely

chesso;4575048

If you can get some foxgloves to put in now they'll be great later on … If you can get some foxgloves to put in now they'll be great later on this spring and will self-seed.Just thought I'd stick up a pic of my back garden taken from the bedroom window last summer - not a very good one, as every single gardener would say - you should have seen it in June.;-)

Show off !! (Looks beautiful chesso !)

Only as far as the big Ash at the bottom bank (about 150 feet) - beyond that is fields!!
    I am a mad keen gardener:) ( as well as supervisor, iglimpse hehe )

That was last year hottoshop - looks a total mess at the moment but lots of spring flowers gives me hope.

dontasciime;4574752

weeds

Tut tut... weeds aren't "weeds", they are herbs in the right eye :roll:

chesso;4575215

Only as far as the big Ash at the bottom bank (about 150 feet) - beyond … Only as far as the big Ash at the bottom bank (about 150 feet) - beyond that is fields!!I am a mad keen gardener:) ( as well as supervisor, iglimpse hehe )That was last year hottoshop - looks a total mess at the moment but lots of spring flowers gives me hope.

You know my philosophy chesso..............manana !

Wild is in this year anyway, wouldn't surprise me if I got a gold medal this year :whistling:

bulbs is a good buy as theese grow back every year and spread
    i have iris which spread and a lovely purple and yellow flower, geraniums are good too,tulips,crocus or and dont forget the daffs, all grow back bigger and better

hottoshop;4575243

You know my philosophy chesso..............manana !Wild is in this year … You know my philosophy chesso..............manana !Wild is in this year anyway, wouldn't surprise me if I got a gold medal this year :whistling:

Hope someone has saved some Christmas coins then, hehe ;-)

Posted this before but ]crocus is excellent for finding the right plant for the right place.

chesso;4575275

Hope someone has saved some Christmas coins then, hehe ;-)

Cheeky ! Be careful or I'll send my friends down to visit ;-)

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f160/ordinaryphotos/caterpiilars2.jpg

They won't get a look in with my slugs and snails.:roll:

quackstar84;4575240

Tut tut... weeds aren't "weeds", they are herbs in the right eye :roll:

Whether you are jesting or not that is actually very true. Probably more than that in the past. Some may actaully have been used as food suplements or medicines in earlier times. The term weed today seems to apply to anything that is not wanted or has become invasive to other plants. (A bit of an interest of mine)
    wildfoodschool.co.uk/

To the OP. Why not also consider fruit bushes. Nothing nicer than picking your own without too much effort

WoolyM;4576568

Whether you are jesting or not that is actually very true. Probably more … Whether you are jesting or not that is actually very true. Probably more than that in the past. Some may actaully have been used as food suplements or medicines in earlier times. The term weed today seems to apply to anything that is not wanted or has become invasive to other plants. (A bit of an interest of mine)To the OP. Why not also consider fruit bushes. Nothing nicer than picking your own without too much effort

I never jest :thumbsup:

Anything which isn't "pretty" is a weed, although these "weeds" saved our ancestors lifes and allowed us to carry on their very own DNA pool. *Sips nettle soup* :thumbsup:

quackstar84;4577549

I never jest :thumbsup:Anything which isn't "pretty" is a weed, although … I never jest :thumbsup:Anything which isn't "pretty" is a weed, although these "weeds" saved our ancestors lifes and allowed us to carry on their very own DNA pool. *Sips nettle soup* :thumbsup:

Take a look at Farm for a future on BBC iplayer but due to expire almost immediately, if this is an interest of yours

I'd love to be a Alchemy.... although i'm too far in the future... damn it =*(

looks gorgeous! my little one would love exploring that with its meandering path through, like a magical escape

( referring to chesso's garden )

ClarityofMind;4584961

looks gorgeous! my little one would love exploring that with its … looks gorgeous! my little one would love exploring that with its meandering path through, like a magical escape :)( referring to chesso's garden )

There are lots of paths, your little one could wander through with my dog!!

Kirsty:
    If your borders are all ready - wish I could say the same!! - then cover them as much as you can with old carpet or heavy plastic, anything really to reduce seeds and weeds and keep it warmed and drier. Go for a mix of plants and bulbs and seeds. Have you already got a few shrubs or small trees in place?
    Decide which plants you want the most, from that guide of goonies maybe and get those as plants in pots. Keep them somewhere sheltered until the end of March maybe - the further north you are the longer you should wait. On new borders you may get seeds growing well but I find that it's best to grow from seed indoors nowish and pot on. Techniques are here:
    bbc.co.uk/gar…cs/
    Just now you can also plant snowdrops in the green, which means that they still have their leaves) ready for next year.
    In April, you can scatter annual seeds like Cosmos which will grow flower and die all in one year, plant your perennials from the pots and really get things going.
    One plant I think that everyone should have is Verbena bonariensis.

My garden was just grass 20 years ago and I have grown everything in it from seeds, small plants, cuttings etc - but that takes a long time!!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. sky q is it a good deal?55
      2. Speccing a gaming pc37
      3. help: windows 10 wifi issue55
      4. Best IPTV Paid service?1721

See more discussions