Any Football Coaches/Managers Out There?

15 replies
Found 7th Apr 2009
Just hoping to pick some brains and ask for some opinions.
Daughter plays football for an U13 girls team. They are in a league of approx. 12 teams and the results and leagues are posted on a website and everything officially done and all tied to the SWFA.

It transpires that results from our league are being capped at 9 goals when being listed on the website despite the score. For example if the score was 12-5 the result on the web would show 9-5.

I'm certainly no football expert but I think this is wrong. Just wondering what the thoughts were of people in the know!!

1. Misc
  2. Football
15 Comments

Yeah its wrong... why would they do that? Maybe their software can only handle 1 character !!!

so if the team scored any more then 9 goals it will still be put down as 9-? on the website?

btw. im not a manager, well apart from football manager on the PC :oops:

Supermod

That is REALLY wrong!

My son plays U9 footie, and as far as I know there is no capping, but not certain. In fact just checked ( mwfl.org.uk/ind…n-2 ) and there IS a 12-0 score recorded.

Jees, there's even a 13-1 score !!!!

It gets worse :

22 November 2008
Home Team v Away Team Result
Norton Lindsey Juniors v Khalsa 21-0

Original Poster

Babbabooey;4855538

Yeah its wrong... why would they do that? Maybe their software can only … Yeah its wrong... why would they do that? Maybe their software can only handle 1 character !!!

Apparently it is so the losing team don't get demoralised!! But they've played the game and they were there when they lost by the real amount of goals so I'm not really following their thoughts. I think it is ridiculous.

So, are you saying that the official score is being changed and if the top two teams tie then goal difference comes into it and the wrong team may be pronounced champions or is this only an information thing?

It does seem odd even so as how would you be able to tell who won a game that finished 12-10?

Sounds like some lousy programme's been written and now no one can afford the rewrite fee....

Hey, im a level 2 qualified coach.

Yea this sounds wrong as the credit then does not go towards the whole team but could be reserved for individuals.

As long as the goal difference one the league table takes into account the 3 extra scored then this shouldnt be a problem.

It would be down to the people who are publishing the results as i know our local paper when we submit our score and match incidents etc are always edited heavily.

good luck to your daughters team and keep scoring over 9 ;-)

That does seem wrong to be honest, If they have won 12-5 they want to see 12-5 on the net.

My sunday morning team won 14-1 in the cup this season and I much enjoyed seeing that on the FA website. lol

I would contact the league secretary and ask for an explanation

Original Poster

It would only appear to be in league games though. We got heavily defeated in cup game but yet our score was shown correctly on web. Think it's a bit harsh and difficult to explain to the kids why some results are being shown correct as per cup games but league games are not.

I am a coach at a primary school and some parents had mentioned this to me and was given this page (Daily Mail) to look at!!

dailymail.co.uk/new…tml

Original Poster

I think if we're going to go down that route we might as well say "OK first to 9 wins!" It's football. Whilst at primary school I know it's being enforced that it should all be non-competitive but when you are in a league I think it is a bit different surely.

It is happening in many leagues...the ref is told that if a team is winning by a 9 goal margin the match must be stopped. This is apparently to stop the children being humiliated.never did me any harm getting beat 12-0 when I was a kid!!!

Noel
Cell 135
D wing
MH Prison
Buxton

nlambert;4855693

It is happening in many leagues...the ref is told that if a team is … It is happening in many leagues...the ref is told that if a team is winning by a 9 goal margin the match must be stopped. This is apparently to stop the children being humiliated.never did me any harm getting beat 12-0 when I was a kid!!! Noel Cell 135D wingMH Prison Buxton

I LOL'd. Roomie !

tinkers;4855682

I think if we're going to go down that route we might as well say "OK … I think if we're going to go down that route we might as well say "OK first to 9 wins!" It's football. Whilst at primary school I know it's being enforced that it should all be non-competitive but when you are in a league I think it is a bit different surely.

The team want to be competitive. We won 13-0 the other day and they were upset they missed 2 penalties. Not sure what all this will teach our children. Surely you play to the final whistle? Its only over when the fat lady sings!

Bleedin PC world we live in.......no wonder we are carp at sports worldwide if losers are getting through like this lol

My brothers coaches a team U9's and there is no such capping......the kids have to suck it up like we did when we were at school
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Driving anxiety.2947
    2. Best phone for spec- canada and uk?22
    3. Recover WIN 10 on HP Laptop46
    4. Gearbest Delivery Never Came - British Priority Mail1517

See more discussions