Expired

Any Ford Mechanics online?

Found 24th Jan 2012
Hi,

I have a 07 mk4 mondeo with zenon projectors. The headlight malfunction warning is on dash. Local Ford have said new headlights needed as motor broke. Been on ebay and they talk about no bulbs or ballast, is ballast the name for the xenon motors?
Andy
Community Updates
MiscFord
14 Comments
Breakdown here:

oemxenonpart.com/For…htm

mondeospares.co.uk/for…asp

An HID must have a ballast to work. They provide a very high voltage spike to ignite the lamp itself. From there they maintain the arc and are at very high voltage and frequency.
Ballast can be very expensive thats why people don't normally sell them with the kit.
If its only the motor, what the problem? It's probably only used for levelling whilst towing. Is on my MK3 anyway.
Well thanks for the replys, I'm not very techy in this area.

Basically when I turn on the headlights, the computer says headlighth malfunction and the beams of light face down towards the floor and the leveller doesn't work. The Ford garage said the xenon motors have failed and need to order new headlights at £300+ each. They ignite fine but does the headlights themselves have the motors in them or is it that the ballast needs to be changed. I'm confused over what i need to sort out as £300 sounds an awful lot
sounds like something out of the matrix!
The ballast is nothing to do with the motor side of the headlight, the ballast is for control side of the actual bulb.
Are both facing down? if so I'd imagine it's something controlling the headlight leveling system rather than the headlight motors themselves.
thanks greg, i'll contact ford again and get some more clarification, having googled this, my lights aren't doing the autolevelling when 1st turned on
burge74

thanks greg, i'll contact ford again and get some more clarification, … thanks greg, i'll contact ford again and get some more clarification, having googled this, my lights aren't doing the autolevelling when 1st turned on

so I find it hard to bellieve it's the headlights at fault then unless you are unlucky enough to have both go together, something somewhere must switch them to level out, I'd guess this is whats at fault. There's probably a ECU for it.
I'm guessing there is a level sensor on your car somewhere that is kaput

this explains how they work

auto.howstuffworks.com/ada…htm

Seems some fords have weight sensors in the boot, if these die they give a reading of heavy weight in the boot which would lead to the headlights auto dipping to compensate as yours are.
Edited by: "greg_68" 24th Jan 2012
The ballast is to do with the light coming on NOT to do with the levelling system
I have had this with my focus, you will have two levelling sensors fitted. one at the front one at the rear, should be able to check without jacking the car up - looks like a little hinge that rests on the suspension arm/rear bar. sometimes they can 'flip' over making the car think it is on an incline, causing the motors to level up/down. check this first as the likelihood of both motors failing is unusual.
He sold the car 3 years ago.
toshapetriji

He sold the car 3 years ago.

Haha! I don't know how people trip up on these years old threads and resurrect them
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants