Groups

Any Freelander Owners On Here ??

HI Guys

I am about to buy a freelander 2004 1.8 top spec petrol with 32k miles on the clock, or I have the choice of a 2004 diesel with 52K miles but very base spec, I do about 20k miles a year and just wandered if anyone had any advice? I have heard the petrol versions are pretty unreliable with about 27mpg with the diesel doing about 30% more.

Many thanks for any advice

10 Comments

Id go for petrol

do you need a freelander?
    20k miles in one of these would be cheaper
    http://d.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/carndriv/20070120/12/3734239118.jpg

500-700 quid for a new headgasket, make sure you get a good warranty if you go for petrol, personally i would go for the diesel its a bmw diesel engine

Review ]here.

And ]here.

We have had our 1.8 td4 from new it's now six years old, been serviced every year and not a moments bother with it we do find it economical too, went to Isle of wight and back on £60 fuel, we like it so much I am going to sell my 307cc and buy a second freelander.

my parents have got a 2005 54 Freelander Td4 HSE. Bought it brand new and havn't had any major problems and its hardly cost a penny maintenance wise as it came with 3yrs free servicing.

Original Poster

thanks to everyone, will leave rep - it seems the diesel option is better for reliability - will take a look at both tomorrow, if anyone want to offer me a price on my trade in then please feel free, they are only giving me £5500 for an 07 vectra with 27k miles if anyone wants it before tomorrow for that price then let me know. I would rather someone make use of it rather than give it to a dealer to mark up

gdp-it;4751399

thanks to everyone, will leave rep - it seems the diesel option is better … thanks to everyone, will leave rep - it seems the diesel option is better for reliability - will take a look at both tomorrow, if anyone want to offer me a price on my trade in then please feel free, they are only giving me £5500 for an 07 vectra with 27k miles if anyone wants it before tomorrow for that price then let me know. I would rather someone make use of it rather than give it to a dealer to mark up

Find out what your cars worth on glass's guide here.
    vauxhall.co.uk/vau…jsp
    Atleast you'll know if their offering you a fair price or not.

Why a Freelander? Horrible unreliable inefficient things - petrol or diesel . . . . . .

Passat estate? Efficient, reliable, spacious - should be able to find a 2004, 60k mileage 100bhp TDI for around the £4500/£5000 mark . . . . . ]linky

Or a nice 52 plate 130bhp TDI with 52k on the clock for £4500 - ]linky

Obviously it depends on location etc. but the estate option is a better bet than a Freelander, or if an SUV is what you really want, look at the ]Honda HR-V, Japanese reliability! lol

I wouldn't touch a 1.8 engine with a 20ft barge pole. They are prone to constant gasket problems due mainly to the fact that it is a 1.4 engine bored out until there is nothing left.
    Go for the diesel if you really want a Land Rover but there are far better alternatives out there and in the present climate you can get them at really good prices.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. So, whose already pre-ordered a Scorpio and where from?66
      2. Are these two things distinctly different to you?99
      3. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846240
      4. 'Hard' Brexit offers '£135bn annual boost' to economy - BBC News66

See more discussions