Any gardeners?

Found 24th Aug 2017
I am looking for recommendations for a bit of privacy between my neighbours and me. I have a gap of about 2 foot wide and above a 5 foot fence that I would like filling with a low maintenance dense plant or tree.
Atm I have various types that the builder planted, so any type that is easy enough to keep to 6 foot high
Tia
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Whatever ever you do, don't plant a leylandii. Unless you cut it regularly it will very quickly grow out of control and they can grow to thirty odd feet high. Other conifers are available.
20 Comments
Conifer. Most varieties will siffice this.
Conifer / laylandy are good especially for noise cancelling, only downside to them is that the needles poison the ground below so nothing else will grow.
The other options are privet or Laural but they require time and effort.

good luck
Whatever ever you do, don't plant a leylandii. Unless you cut it regularly it will very quickly grow out of control and they can grow to thirty odd feet high. Other conifers are available.
Original Poster
Wolfout15 m ago

Conifer / laylandy are good especially for noise cancelling, only downside …Conifer / laylandy are good especially for noise cancelling, only downside to them is that the needles poison the ground below so nothing else will grow. The other options are privet or Laural but they require time and effort.good luck

Leylandi for a 2 foot gap that doesn't sound like a good idea and also they grow like mad so not a wise move
Original Poster
At the moment I have a nice purple plant , I might get another like that when I find out what it i
Look on hedges direct, they have great deals for multiple purchase, I have a lovely rose hedge that I purchased the plants from hedges direct about 25p a plant at the time, a few years later it is great, the smell is fab but may not be high enough for what you want. Do not go for Leylandii, worst thing you can do. Have a look at the information, I had laurel in previous front garden as a screening hedge and that was very effective, hedges also provides nesting for birds and cover for them. Native plants are always good, 2ft is quite narrow but you can ask questions of whoever you are buying from.
Edited by: "Rose5" 24th Aug 2017
snoopy188 m ago

At the moment I have a nice purple plant , I might get another like that …At the moment I have a nice purple plant , I might get another like that when I find out what it i

Have you got a picture? Someone on here will be able to identify it
snoopy1816 m ago

At the moment I have a nice purple plant , I might get another like that …At the moment I have a nice purple plant , I might get another like that when I find out what it i

Possibly a clematis?
Fairly quick growing and will produce a lot of flowers to cover the area and also easily maintained.
Original Poster
psychobitchfromhell38 m ago

Have you got a picture? Someone on here will be able to identify it

Yes, sorry it needs turning 90 degree31786515-ctL7x.jpg
snoopy186 m ago

Yes, sorry it needs turning 90 degree[Image]

Has it got little clumps of yellowish orange flowers? If so it is a berberis
Edited by: "psychobitchfromhell" 25th Aug 2017
Original Poster
psychobitchfromhell28 m ago

Has it got little clumps of yellowish orange flowers? If so it is a …Has it got little clumps of yellowish orange flowers? If so it is a berberis

I don't think it has
usually just purple on it's ownin the summer
snoopy189 m ago

I don't think it has usually just purple on it's ownin the summer

I'll have a look in a book for you. There are lot of varieties of Hendricks it is quite difficult to tell from that picture. A berberis would be good though. Some are evergreen. Or perhaps a cotoneaster or a pyrocanthus or a photinia. All of those are fairly easy to grow and evergreen
Original Poster
psychobitchfromhell5 m ago

I'll have a look in a book for you. There are lot of varieties of …I'll have a look in a book for you. There are lot of varieties of Hendricks it is quite difficult to tell from that picture. A berberis would be good though. Some are evergreen. Or perhaps a cotoneaster or a pyrocanthus or a photinia. All of those are fairly easy to grow and evergreen

Thanks I'll have a google at some you mention
it it doesn't have to be evergreen as I am not in the garden much in winter
snoopy184 m ago

Thanks I'll have a google at some you mention it it doesn't have to be …Thanks I'll have a google at some you mention it it doesn't have to be evergreen as I am not in the garden much in winter

It could well be a cotinus try that. Also known as a smoke bush
google.co.uk/sea…QCw
Edited by: "psychobitchfromhell" 25th Aug 2017
Original Poster
yes that looks very like it
snoopy1810 m ago

yes that looks very like it

Excellent. Result. They are fairly easy to get hold of
Definite a smoke bush, it is lovely once you can get it to a hedge
Original Poster
Rose58 m ago

Definite a smoke bush, it is lovely once you can get it to a hedge

Get it to a hedge?
Didn't understand.
Edited by: "snoopy18" 25th Aug 2017
sorry have I got the thread wrong, did you not want a hedge? If you keep cutting it back you will get it to increase in width rather than height. Needs to be at right time and cut back at correct place.
Original Poster
Rose54 h, 4 m ago

sorry have I got the thread wrong, did you not want a hedge? If you keep …sorry have I got the thread wrong, did you not want a hedge? If you keep cutting it back you will get it to increase in width rather than height. Needs to be at right time and cut back at correct place.

A hedge would look odd amongst what's in the border thanks anyway
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants