Groups
    EXPIRED

Any gardners who can help me

Were looking to put some plants to seperate our garden from the neighbours mainly because postmen and deliverys walk passed my window and i would rather they walk round, ive been looking on the net for some advice as we dont have a clue and i have came up with Ligustrum (privets) or boxwood, the advice i find is privets grow very fast so would be a hedge quicker and boxwood grow a little slower so they wont be as high as quickly ideally i would like the hedge to be about 120cm then i can maintain it but i want somthing to grow to this height as fast as possible,
    if anyone can offer some advice on these 2 plants or on different ones that might be suitable i will be very greatfull
    thanks

11 Comments

How about a low fence and grow something around the fence.

Chances are if you start growing something the postman will carry only walking through it.

Scrap Boxwodo from your list way too slow growing for your needs.

Try Quickthorn or Blackthorn, both make an attractive quick growing and spiky hedge.

Original Poster

greg_68;5195484

How about a low fence and grow something around the fence.Chances are if … How about a low fence and grow something around the fence.Chances are if you start growing something the postman will carry only walking through it.

i had thought about a low fence but its a kind of culdesac and the whole street is open plan with only plants seperating gardens so if i built a fence it would spoil the luck of the street, all the gardens are like somthing off a magazine except mine its like a dumping yard with fuzzy grass heehee so we gona try and make it look nice i think the neighbours would be miffed if i built a fence but it would of been an idea

Original Poster

DKLS;5195493

Scrap Boxwodo from your list way too slow growing for your needs.Try … Scrap Boxwodo from your list way too slow growing for your needs.Try Quickthorn or Blackthorn, both make an attractive quick growing and spiky hedge.

thanks very much its so hard to find names of plants on here when you dont have a clue

repped all :thumbsup:

Yeh privet can take a while to establish. could mix some in wit DKLS suggestion.

I reckon you should plant some berry bushes instead. Homebase sell various berry plants (including my fave, redcurrant) that start at about 1ft tall at 3 for £10, and although they won't create the same sort of barrier that privet would, they'll still block the path of any courteous postman, but with the advantages of needing much less care and attention to crop them back, plus they'll give you loads of fresh fruit towards the middle of the summer. It's probably the cheapest option too, especially if you need to buy a hedge trimmer for the privet.

Original Poster

Adam2050;5195522

Yeh privet can take a while to establish. could mix some in wit DKLS … Yeh privet can take a while to establish. could mix some in wit DKLS suggestion.

ive never herd of this i will have a look now thankyou

dxx;5195634

I reckon you should plant some berry bushes instead. Homebase sell … I reckon you should plant some berry bushes instead. Homebase sell various berry plants (including my fave, redcurrant) that start at about 1ft tall at 3 for £10, and although they won't create the same sort of barrier that privet would, they'll still block the path of any courteous postman, but with the advantages of needing much less care and attention to crop them back, plus they'll give you loads of fresh fruit towards the middle of the summer. It's probably the cheapest option too, especially if you need to buy a hedge trimmer for the privet.

this is a good idea never thought of somthing that looks pretty just thought of bog standard green, will have a look, wonder if it will attract birds ?? thanks

Shambolic;5195858

Some good ideas here... … Some good ideas here... http://www.best4plants.co.uk/browse.aspx?CatID=75&page=1

good site i will have a good luck now

thanks everyone i shall be able to impress the hubby with my knowledge when i have a look thro this lot thanks i have repped all

[QUOTE=SABJ;5196042
    this is a good idea never thought of somthing that looks pretty just thought of bog standard green, will have a look, wonder if it will attract birds ?? thanks [/QUOTE]

They're supposed to, but birds only seem to go for berries if they're out in the open. My berry plants never get bothered by birds, but then, the raspberries are along the walls of the back of the house, the blackcurrant is under a couple of apple trees, and the blackberries are all up at the back of the garden, under cover of trees and things. Birds don't seem to like anything enclosed or with big objects around, since it puts them at risk of being eaten by a cat. With a bit of luck, if you plant the berry plants by your house, they'll all be for you.

Neat tip for attracting birds, though - put out a line of raisins on a wall or something that's out in the open and a reasonable distance from your house. I've been doing it for a couple of years now, and I now get loads of little birds (blackbirds, chaffinches, sparrows, robins, that sort of thing) coming down to feed several times a day. One of my blackbirds, my favourite of the lot, has even worked out the system, and every few days will stand on the wall chirping angrily at me until I go out and feed him. It's kind-of cute.

Original Poster

dxx;5196982

Neat tip for attracting birds, though - put out a line of raisins on a … Neat tip for attracting birds, though - put out a line of raisins on a wall or something that's out in the open and a reasonable distance from your house. I've been doing it for a couple of years now, and I now get loads of little birds (blackbirds, chaffinches, sparrows, robins, that sort of thing) coming down to feed several times a day. One of my blackbirds, my favourite of the lot, has even worked out the system, and every few days will stand on the wall chirping angrily at me until I go out and feed him. It's kind-of cute.

aww thats lovely we get lots of little birds out the back hubby buys all kinds of nuts and things to attract them but we never get them round the front unless i have grass seed on then they go for that probably like you say due to the fact its more closed in, my mam has a bird that taps on her window hes her fave too not sure what type of bird he is they lovely arnt they :thumbsup:

We have a "Pieris forest flame" dividing hedge from our next door neighbours, it's taken a while to grow but looks great now,,,
    letsgogardening.co.uk/PD/…htm
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17416145
      2. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846221
      3. I've got 2 for 1 codes to use at Thorpe Park/Sea Life, Yeoken vouchers, The…34
      4. Weekly game codes giveaway 1831227

See more discussions