Any Gas BBQ experts?

Posted 6th Jul
Hope someone can help, can't find anything even remotely similar to my issue on Google, probably my wording!

Basically, I got a Gas BBQ a couple of months ago and used with a half full patio gas tank I was given. Worked great, no issues.

I now got a new bottle of patio gas as I ran out of my last one, I put the regulator on, open the valve, and then it sounds like gas is gushing through the pipes at 1000000 mph, absolutely stinks of gas (can smell it a long distance away) and within a few seconds all of the knobs start shaking/vibrating/banging (very very ferociously, feel like they'd ping off if I left the gas turned on). BBQ won't light either!

Turn the valve off and bbq lights fine... (obviously only for a few seconds!)

Anyone have any clue
Community Updates
Ask
16 Comments
Sounds like a valve issue somewhere. Not sure where (without knowing make/model of bbq). One thing's for sure - DO NOT USE IT UNTIL FIXED!! If you can smell gas any naked flame or spark could set it off!
m120firestormer06/07/2020 14:24

Sounds like a valve issue somewhere. Not sure where (without knowing …Sounds like a valve issue somewhere. Not sure where (without knowing make/model of bbq). One thing's for sure - DO NOT USE IT UNTIL FIXED!! If you can smell gas any naked flame or spark could set it off!

Thanks - It's this one direct.asda.com/geo…tml

Only got a 28 day warranty so hope it isn't done for, bought it in May
Edited by: "liamions" 6th Jul
It sounds like it could be the regulator. Does it make a difference which knob you turn on? Also, are the knobs in the 'off' position when you turn the gas on? If they're not that can cause issues.
m120firestormer06/07/2020 14:40

It sounds like it could be the regulator. Does it make a difference which …It sounds like it could be the regulator. Does it make a difference which knob you turn on? Also, are the knobs in the 'off' position when you turn the gas on? If they're not that can cause issues.

Yep thinking regulator too, in-laws have a brand new one so gonna grab that and see if it fixes anything.

All knobs off yes, but it only seems to be one that rattles/bangs/shakes when gas valve opened. First time I opened valve it was the first knob (nearest gas input, but not the side-burner that's that side) and my few tries since have all made the knob at the end do the banging/shaking. I can't even describe how ferociously the knobs shake, it's that bad!
liamions06/07/2020 14:43

Yep thinking regulator too, in-laws have a brand new one so gonna grab …Yep thinking regulator too, in-laws have a brand new one so gonna grab that and see if it fixes anything.All knobs off yes, but it only seems to be one that rattles/bangs/shakes when gas valve opened. First time I opened valve it was the first knob (nearest gas input, but not the side-burner that's that side) and my few tries since have all made the knob at the end do the banging/shaking. I can't even describe how ferociously the knobs shake, it's that bad!

Defo don't try lighting it until you've sorted it! Sounds like too much pressure for sure so start with regulator and go from there. Let us know how you get on!
Sounds like the regulator isn't seated properly.
Are you sure its locked onto the gas bottle ok?. did you get a new bottle or refilled your old one?.

Is the gas bottle the right one for the regulator if you did change it.

Post some photos of your old gas bottle top and the new one as well as the underside of the regulator
markvirgo06/07/2020 14:48

Sounds like the regulator isn't seated properly. Are you sure its locked …Sounds like the regulator isn't seated properly. Are you sure its locked onto the gas bottle ok?. did you get a new bottle or refilled your old one?.Is the gas bottle the right one for the regulator if you did change it.Post some photos of your old gas bottle top and the new one as well as the underside of the regulator

I think it's on properly, it goes on flush and clicks - It certainly would've move anywhere without the release thing being pressed

Exchanged empty for a full bottle

Definitely right regulator as worked with same gas before, 13kg patio gas Calor
Is it leaking at the gas bottle or the pipe as there could be a hole or split in it.

Check the jubilee clip at the bbq side as they do split there if pulled.
markvirgo06/07/2020 14:57

Is it leaking at the gas bottle or the pipe as there could be a hole or …Is it leaking at the gas bottle or the pipe as there could be a hole or split in it.Check the jubilee clip at the bbq side as they do split there if pulled.

Thanks, I’ll check when I get home. Don’t think it is leaking there though, sniffed yesterday when testing it and all the gas seemed to be coming from the grill area rather than around the bottle
Maybe one of the pipes is loose on the burners or behind one of the knobs
markvirgo06/07/2020 15:10

Maybe one of the pipes is loose on the burners or behind one of the knobs

I'll take a look, bit weird though as there was only a day or two between me last using it and trying with new gas bottle and worked fine before.

I'll have a look when I get home and update cheers
Pipes all seem fine.

Regulator goes on flush, when halfway opening valve it makes release air kind of sound, can see pipe filling.

Grill makes a leaky sound and can smell gas, knob’s don’t start vibrating/banging until you touch them.

When you take regulator off it makes a whoopee cushion fart noise!

I’ll try a new regulator and update
Is it definitely the same gas? Propane needs a different regulator to butane...
gari18906/07/2020 17:08

Is it definitely the same gas? Propane needs a different regulator to …Is it definitely the same gas? Propane needs a different regulator to butane...

Both Calor patio gas yes
That appears to be propane so the regulator should be red in colour (butane is blue).....usually
Edited by: "gari189" 6th Jul
Regulator change has done the trick. Strange one. Cheers all(y)
Post a comment
@
    Text